5. Raeder, with Breaker as O-Coordinator and Cutter as D-Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    My guesses in order of likelihood:

1. Anderson
    2. Sitake
    3. Niumatalolo
    4. Anae
    I don't think they can afford Nuimatalolo. He's making $2M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    My guesses in order of likelihood:

1. Anderson
    2. Sitake
    3. Niumatalolo
    4. Anae
    I can't think of a reason that Niumatalolo would leave Navy.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't think they can afford Nuimatalolo. He's making $2M+.
    It would be interesting to see how a wishbone flexbone coach would fare at BYU.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-04-2015 at 05:03 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It would be interesting to see how a wishbone flexbone coach would fare at BYU.
    I can't imagine that the fan base would accept it. Their whole identity is quarterback u and the passing attack. Most don't even like gfgh.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.

It's a good thing that we have a strong track record playing teams with transitional coaching situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It's a good thing that we have a strong track record playing teams with transitional coaching situations.

That's kind of like a
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wow, this is real? I've been in solid meetings since lunch.

What a great thing for BYU football! They were never going to be great with Bronco, and they were never going to be low enough to justify firing him. I think UVa could have done much better. We'll see. If I'm a BYU fan, I'm doing cartwheels.

So, the list.

Anae - makes a lot of sense, probably an upgrade over Bronco
    Anderson, Lance - I know nothing about him except that he steals our recruits. I'd be happy for him to not be in Palo Alto anymore.
    Anderson, Gary - He's probably in that "what did I get myself into" mode about Corvalis by now. Not sure he'd being willing to move down to G5.
    Coach Ken - Is he really married to the triple option, or does he run it just because that's what you have to do at Navy? Maybe he would interview and say "I'd leave the offensive system intact with Anae." I don't know why we think BYU doesn't pay a lot. How does anyone know? Coach Ken can probably hold out for a better job, though.
    Sitake - Solid hire. I think he'd do a great job.
    I don't think Gary Andersen is LDS. If he is, he's not active.

Oops. Cross him off my list.
    Catholic if anything. Kids went to Juan diego

Wow, this is real? I've been in solid meetings since lunch.

What a great thing for BYU football! They were never going to be great with Bronco, and they were never going to be low enough to justify firing him. I think UVa could have done much better. We'll see. If I'm a BYU fan, I'm doing cartwheels.

So, the list.

Anae - makes a lot of sense, probably an upgrade over Bronco
    Anderson, Lance - I know nothing about him except that he steals our recruits. I'd be happy for him to not be in Palo Alto anymore.
    Anderson, Gary - He's probably in that "what did I get myself into" mode about Corvalis by now. Not sure he'd being willing to move down to G5.
    Coach Ken - Is he really married to the triple option, or does he run it just because that's what you have to do at Navy? Maybe he would interview and say "I'd leave the offensive system intact with Anae." I don't know why we think BYU doesn't pay a lot. How does anyone know? Coach Ken can probably hold out for a better job, though.
    Sitake - Solid hire. I think he'd do a great job.
    You must be kidding. Nobody as good as Bronco will have anything to do with them. They're screwed. That job is not attractive any more, with Utah in the Pac 12, the mullahs in charge of BYU, etc., and it will NEVER get into a big conference. NEVER; for the same reason the Pac 12 considered they radioactive. BYU is screwed. Hee hee.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

So, you think UVa reached out to him, or did Bronco initiate contact?
    It was bound to happen. He was underpaid, underappreciated, and way too upmarket for them (yes, dorky BM was too upmarket for BYU).
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

He reached out to Nebraska last year. I'll bet he did this one too. He has been ready to move on for a while it appears to me. Since the Y has played UVA a couple of times recently, lots of opportunity to drop hints.

This is potentially momentous for Utah. The first step to Utah becoming a real contender is to dispatch BYU to oblivion thereby gaining complete domination of the local region. Any coaching change, especially an unplanned change with no real forward momentum for the program, has a good chance of abject failure. This could be amazing.

If Kalani is smart, he'll lobby Bronco for the DC job at UVA. They get good recruits on that side of the ball and he could really prove himself in something that isn't a complete rebuild like Oregon St.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

With him being under contract it seems likely he reached out to Virginia.

I do not think as highly of him as you do. I do think this is good for BYU, but I don't think it's a difference maker on the scale that BYU would need to become some kind of G5 powerhouse.
    I guess you're smarter than whoever it was at UVA that offered him $3.25M.

I'm not saying he's great. But you seem to think BYU has this huge pool to hire from. That's not true. He's better than they can get or deserve unless they get lucky like they did with him. Have you forgotten how desperate they were when they hired him? Edwards made BYU something in the WAC when nobody paid much attention. It's not a widely desired job to say the least. And the fans are clueless about the potential.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

He's now the 28th highest paid college football coach in the USA.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Isn't Bronco the first to BYU coach ever to leave for a better job?

--Yeats

Steve Cleveland went to Fresno st.
    That was at best a lateral move at that time, wasn't it?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If Kalani is smart, he'll lobby Bronco for the DC job at UVA. They get good recruits on that side of the ball and he could really prove himself in something that isn't a complete rebuild like Oregon St.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Wasn't it one of The Drive episodes that Sitake alluded to the idea that one major reason he took the job at OSU was because it was a rebuild opportunity. I mean he walked into a well oiled defensive machine at Utah, so the challenge of building something from the ground up was attractive at this point in his career.

I might be. I had a killer ACT score back in the day. Who's the AD over there?

Well, I don't know for sure who would consider going there, but I think Anae or Sitake would probably accept the job. Those are both upgrades......
    Time would tell but I'd have to disagree on this one. Bronco won at a 70% clip. That's typically seen as excellent in the college football world. Can't imagine either would do any better, and would think neither would excite their fan base. Maybe they're into "settling" mode now that a P5 invitation is almost completely out of reach.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

That was at best a lateral move at that time, wasn't it?

I think sancho was being droll. Very subtle wit.

He was there for, what, 10 years? Someone with more drive than I have, what were his top 5 wins at BYU? How many wins against teams that finished in the top 25? I don't know that 70% is as impressive when it means 7-3 with 7 wins over bad teams and 3 losses to good teams.
    He was there for 11 years.

They beat a number of solid 8-5 teams (Utah, Oregon St, Oregon, Oklahoma), a 9-4 Utah in 2007, a 10-3 Utah in 2009 (Max Hall Hates Us), an 11-2 TCU in 2006 (probably the biggest win), and that is it. I thought there were more big wins.

The biggest wins in program history are still the '96 Cotton Bowl over K State, and Miami in '90. Of course those were Lavell wins.

Virginia hires BYU's Bronco Mendenhall as new football coach

So does Kalani go there now? Does Taysom Hill come to Utah? Does BYU de-emphasize football? Does Robert Anae get promoted?

Find out next time on As the Stomach Turns.

hqdefault.jpg
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

The Trib has reposted Monson's column from last year where he said Whitt would leave and possibly for BYU

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The Trib has reposted Monson's column from last year where he said Whitt would leave and possibly for BYU

This would make SU's head explode. You can keep Whit, thank you very much.

I'm not a single bit upset about Bronco leaving. He's never been a BYU guy and though i am sure he is a good guy, he's not our guy.

I don't know who the next coach is but BYU is still the #1 destination for LDS talent and even though the list of available coaches is not long, for nearly all of them, BYU is their dream job.

Seriously, though. Please keep Whit. We don't want him back.
    Last edited by Viking; 12-05-2015 at 06:04 AM.

Welcome to the KenN era, Utes

Ken Niumatalolo will be named BYU head coach.

Good luck recruiting against us.

You guys will love the Wishbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    This would make SU's head explode. You can keep Whit, thank you very much.

I'm not a single bit upset about Bronco leaving. He's never been a BYU guy and though i am sure he is a good guy, he's not our guy.

I don't know who the next coach is but BYU is still the #1 destination for LDS talent and even though the list of available coaches is not long, for nearly all of them, BYU is their dream job.

Seriously, though. Please keep Whit. We don't want him back.
    I am on record saying that if BYU offers Whit $3.25 million he should go there. Chris Hill has been very cheap with him and not raised the salary he deserves.

Nice hedge. I think we both know BYU doesn't have the cattle to get him for a lot of reasons.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    You guys will love the Wishbone.
    Yes, with Taysom next year, we are going to love it. And we're gonna love it when we kick your lousy asses next year.

Tanner mangum can't wait for the chance to run it. It will catapult him into the nfl.

Just think of all the good passing qb's who will no longer give the Y a look.

Have fun running that offense when you get behind. Think Nebraska.

P.s. I'll bet Taysom isn't your qb next year.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-05-2015 at 08:32 AM.