Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel 2015

If whatever new coach at BYU were to call ARod home to be the OC there, would we miss him? Seems like Hardy could take over some OC responsibilities under DE's tutelage, and we could go find a dedicated QB coach somewhere (a area ARod seems to have under performed).

Just thinking about what eligible LDS OC's there might be out there to a new BYU coach to hire, and ARod might be on that list.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If whatever new coach at BYU were to call ARod home to be the OC there, would we miss him? Seems like Hardy could take over some OC responsibilities under DE's tutelage, and we could go find a dedicated QB coach somewhere (a area ARod seems to have under performed).

Just thinking about what eligible LDS OC's there might be out there to a new BYU coach to hire, and ARod might be on that list.

Do the coordinators also need to be LDS or just the HC?

I would hate a clean slate at OC, but since we have two, I guess - in the spirit of Christmas - we can spare one.

Seems like a good time for a new QB coach, since we have no returning experience at the position. Almost true for a WR coach too.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do the coordinators also need to be LDS or just the HC?

I would hate a clean slate at OC, but since we have two, I guess - in the spirit of Christmas - we can spare one.

Seems like a good time for a new QB coach, since we have no returning experience at the position. Almost true for a WR coach too.
    From those who've payed there that I know, only the head coach is required to be a member in good standing, although I'm sure that would be preferred for assistants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Ken to visit BYU on Monday.That makes him the leading candidate, right? I figure it's all about negotiations, now. If he had no interest in BYU, he wouldn't come for a visit.

This would be good for BYU. He's a step up from Bronco in x's and o's, in media relations, in player relations, in in recruiting, and possibly in motivating players.

One thing I just thought of. He knows what it's like to be independent, and he knows what it's like to be in a conference race. I wonder how he feels about leaving a conference now that he finally ended up in one.

Coach Ken to visit BYU on Monday.That makes him the leading candidate, right? I figure it's all about negotiations, now. If he had no interest in BYU, he wouldn't come for a visit.

This would be good for BYU. He's a step up from Bronco in x's and o's, in media relations, in player relations, in in recruiting, and possibly in motivating players.

One thing I just thought of. He knows what it's like to be independent, and he knows what it's like to be in a conference race. I wonder how he feels about leaving a conference now that he finally ended up in one.
    Bronco was so easy to dislike, with his lack of personality, and stupid things he said. If it ends up being Sitake, it would be easy to develope a healthy dislike for him, due to his changed loyalties. I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I don't think it's a given he would take the job. He may shop the offer back to Navy and see if they will improve upon it. If he does come will he give up the triple option? If so who is is offensive coordinator? I really hope he would keep the triple option because it would be the demise of the y football program. He does seem to have the first interview however. They have been waiting on him.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-10-2015 at 08:32 PM.

It seems to me that if you hire a man to be the head coach, you let him run the offense he wants to run. It is possible he runs that option because of the personnel he had to work with, but I think he coached at Georgia Tech too, and they did not have the same personnel limitations, as far as I know.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It seems to me that if you hire a man to be the head coach, you let him run the offense he wants to run. It is possible he runs that option because of the personnel he had to work with, but I think he coached at Georgia Tech too, and they did not have the same personnel limitations, as far as I know.

According to Wikipedia, he was never at GT.

He was QB at Hawaii running the option under Paul Johnson. He was a GA there for a while.

The rest of his coaching experience has been at Navy, except for a brief stop at UNLV.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-10-2015 at 08:55 PM.

my guess is that Ken N. is their #1 option and Sitake is #2. I suspect they've already interviewed Kalani and have assurances that he will take the job if offered. If they can't land Ken N, the job will be Sitake's.

Just a guess. If Sitake does reasonably well at BYU, I don't see why Utah couldn't go after him post Whitt

I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike
    Yes, but I think I can do it.

According to Wikipedia, he was never at GT.

He was QB at Hawaii running the option under Paul Johnson. He was a GA there for a while.

The rest of his coaching experience has been at Navy, except for a brief stop at UNLV.
    OK. I saw Paul Johnson's name and thought of Georgia Tech.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    OK. I saw Paul Johnson's name and thought of Georgia Tech.
    He was Johnson's OC at Navy then was promoted to HC when Johnson left for GT.

Johnson gave him his start at Hawaii and took him to Navy.

I don't have any scoop whatsoever but I know what's not going on: requests for big money from big donors that would signal an attempt at KW. Plus having Santiago+KW photographed at SLC airport chatting together is about as much proof as one needs that there are no conversations of substance taking place.

Here's my deductive reasoning best guess as to how this works out:

1. Niumatalolo has been de facto #1 for a long time, under the assumption that Reid and KW are not coming home any time soon.

2. When Bronco prematurely announced his departure (Monson really nailed it) and then proceeding to raid the cupboard 10 days before a match up against you Utes, if there were serious Sitake or Bevell discussions, one of those would have been announced immediately. That didn't happen

3. Instead, we are getting an announcement on Monday.

4. Army-Navy is tomorrow, and unlike Bronco, Niumatalolo is truly loyal to his players and would never distract them a week before their most important game of the season.

So, educated guess on HC is Ken Niumatalolo (plus, his kid plays for us).

However, triple threat option ain't Cougar Football. But Holmoe already has a clear history of personally reconstructing BYU football after the Crowton debacle.

To preserve BYU's offensive philosophy, we go to none other than fellow Texan and Heisman Trophy winner (do you guys have one?), TD Ty Detmer.

If the $$ is available, we pay up for Sitake. But I think it's more likely he's going to want to take his head coaching chances and remain at OSU.

Thus, Steve Kaufusi gets a well-deserved promotion to DC.

HC: Niumatalolo
    OC: Detmer
    DC: Kaufusi

That's my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I don't have any scoop whatsoever but I know what's not going on: requests for big money from big donors that would signal an attempt at KW. Plus having Santiago+KW photographed at SLC airport chatting together is about as much proof as one needs that there are no conversations of substance taking place.

Here's my deductive reasoning best guess as to how this works out:

1. Niumatalolo has been de facto #1 for a long time, under the assumption that Reid and KW are not coming home any time soon.

2. When Bronco prematurely announced his departure (Monson really nailed it) and then proceeding to raid the cupboard 10 days before a match up against you Utes, if there were serious Sitake or Bevell discussions, one of those would have been announced immediately. That didn't happen

3. Instead, we are getting an announcement on Monday.

4. Army-Navy is tomorrow, and unlike Bronco, Niumatalolo is truly loyal to his players and would never distract them a week before their most important game of the season.

So, educated guess on HC is Ken Niumatalolo (plus, his kid plays for us).

However, triple threat option ain't Cougar Football. But Holmoe already has a clear history of personally reconstructing BYU football after the Crowton debacle.

To preserve BYU's offensive philosophy, we go to none other than fellow Texan and Heisman Trophy winner (do you guys have one?), TD Ty Detmer.

If the $$ is available, we pay up for Sitake. But I think it's more likely he's going to want to take his head coaching chances and remain at OSU.

Thus, Steve Kaufusi gets a well-deserved promotion to DC.

HC: Niumatalolo
    OC: Detmer
    DC: Kaufusi

That's my bet.
    Wait, I thought your source was saying Ken n, sitake as dc, and anae as oc? Does this lesser glory of a coaching staff still doom us to your recruiting scraps? Please confirm with your source.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I really hope he would keep the triple option because it would be the demise of the y football program.
    I would hate for Utah to go up against a coach Ken triple option every year. We would lose more of those than we currently lose. That said, I bet they ask him to change. They want him for his leadership, not his offense.

If he just wanted to use BYU for a salary renegotiation, he could have done that from Annapolis. I think him coming on Monday means he's genuinely open to the idea of leaving.

I would hate for Utah to go up against a coach Ken triple option every year. We would lose more of those than we currently lose. That said, I bet they ask him to change. They want him for his leadership, not his offense.

If he just wanted to use BYU for a salary renegotiation, he could have done that from Annapolis. I think him coming on Monday means he's genuinely open to the idea of leaving.
    There is an easy solution to that: let them run the TO and don't schedule them anymore. Everybody wins.

I am not saying he is not genuinely interested; I said it is not a given that he would take the job. By all accounts, Ken N. is devout. He could be coming to Provo out of respect for his Church, but one of his kids is there and the other could decommit from BSU and go there too.

He is also very loyal to the Academy. It sounds like Navy will offer him $2.3 to $2.5. Didnt sound as though the Y can match that or exceed it substantially, from TH's press conference. Ken N. may utlimately be more comfortable at Navy, for a variety of reasons, including the AAC.

Oh, the airport conversation thing is HUGE. Whenever I want to talk business, I always schedule a meeting early in the morning at the airport. Also, I would never ever talk to a long time friend that I bumped into if they were a BYU fan.

Good grief Viking, I see you have been attending classes at the Peter Vecsey school of journalism and analysis with Kyle Gunther.............

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wait, I thought your source was saying Ken n, sitake as dc, and anae as oc? Does this lesser glory of a coaching staff still doom us to your recruiting scraps? Please confirm with your source.
    What about Gifford Nielsen? He's perfect. He is a GA, but if a GA can be assigned to serve as BYU's president, why can't one be assigned to serve as the football HC?

--Yeats

There is an easy solution to that: let them run the TO and don't schedule them anymore. Everybody wins.

I am not saying he is not genuinely interested; I said it is not a given that he would take the job. By all accounts, Ken N. is devout. He could be coming to Provo out of respect for his Church, but one of his kids is there and the other could decommit from BSU and go there too.

He is also very loyal to the Academy. It sounds like Navy will offer him $2.3 to $2.5. Didnt sound as though the Y can match that or exceed it substantially, from TH's press conference. Ken N. may utlimately be more comfortable at Navy, for a variety of reasons, including the AAC.
    I don't think everybody wins in that scenario.

I don't think everybody wins in that scenario.
    Ok, you are right. Everybody wins except you.

Bronco was so easy to dislike, with his lack of personality, and stupid things he said. If it ends up being Sitake, it would be easy to develope a healthy dislike for him, due to his changed loyalties. I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike
    I saw some highlights of his presser at UVA. Some fans over there now have to be starting to think: "WTF?...This guy is dorky..."

A smarter ute than thou smoked that TIC out pretty quickly. Was impressive.

TH: "Kyle, I would like to meet with you to discuss the possibility of becoming our new Head Coach. I believe we have a bright future, and we have pooled some impressive resources to make an attractive offer. When can we schedule a meeting? "

KW: "Tommie, I would love to meet with my old college roommate. I am flying out of SLC tomorrow morning to watch my punter win his second back-to-back Ray Guy award, and can meet you in the airport between flights for five minutes or so. Give my best to Felicia and the kids."

A smarter ute than thou smoked that TIC out pretty quickly. Was impressive.
    I for one am excited to see how Ken "Meet The Mormons" Niumatalolo's Triple Option Flexbone works against Big XII defenses. You guys are going to kill it. Oklahoma won't know what hit them. I can't wait until the Blue Hairs are whining about the 350 rushing yds per game.

Ok, you are right. Everybody wins except you.
    Do all Ute fans want to quit playing BYU? Is it out of spite over missing out on a dream bowl matchup with Nebraska?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    TH: "Kyle, I would like to meet with you to discuss the possibility of becoming our new Head Coach. I believe we have a bright future, and we have pooled some impressive resources to make an attractive offer. When can we schedule a meeting? "

KW: "Tommie, I would love to meet with my old college roommate. I am flying out of SLC tomorrow morning to watch my punter win his second back-to-back Ray Guy award, and can meet you in the airport between flights for five minutes or so. Give my best to Felicia and the kids."
    That is Holmoe and Brian Santiago at the airport yesterday

Do all Ute fans want to quit playing BYU? Is it out of spite over missing out on a dream bowl matchup with Nebraska?
    No. I think we are pissed because every year we have THE byu of Provo on the schedule Chris Hill and Kyle Whittingham will refuse to pursue a P5 OOC matchup. We are stuck with them being our OOC 'Showcase' game. And it is a boring matchup from that standpoint.

That is Holmoe and Brian Santiago at the airport yesterday

Take heart, Utes. If there were ultra secret talks going on between KW and TH, they wouldn't stop in front of door 10 for all the world to see. They would have flashed some secret hand symbol and kept moving.

Take heart, Utes. If there were ultra secret talks going on between KW and TH, they wouldn't stop in front of door 10 for all the world to see. They would have flashed some secret hand symbol and kept moving.
    You fell into their trap. That is just what they want you to think and it worked.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-11-2015 at 10:00 AM.