Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Pre-preseason thread: 2016 football

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Set your DVRs...some Utah games today on Pac 12 Football in 60, including Michigan and Oregon.
    Man...how good is Gus Johnson on a call? I hope we are in a position to have him call a few games this season.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The QBs are listed alphabetically....
    No real surprise there. I suspect Williams and Cox will both get snaps vs. SUU as to extend the mystery for one more week.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Man...how good is Gus Johnson on a call? I hope we are in a position to have him call a few games this season.
    I loved his call of the USC game two years ago.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Zach Moss put it out on Twitter earlier that he had fractures in both of his shins. Is that the same thing as shin splints? Anyway, the post has since been deleted. Some are saying he expects to be back for camp and some are saying that 700 reported that he's out for the season. Both seem unrealistic. Anyone know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Zach Moss put it out on Twitter earlier that he had fractures in both of his shins. Is that the same thing as shin splints? Anyway, the post has since been deleted. Some are saying he expects to be back for camp and some are saying that 700 reported that he's out for the season. Both seem unrealistic. Anyone know anything?
    Shin splints are ligaments inflamed or tearing from the shin bone. Fractures likely mean stress fractures, which is different and worse.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

To the Holliday point about not being able to teach recievers to beat man. I read a story somewhere that it was in part because Bronco never taught man coverage and so no one could really drill the receivers against man coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1315 View Post
    To the Holliday point about not being able to teach recievers to beat man. I read a story somewhere that it was in part because Bronco never taught man coverage and so no one could really drill the receivers against man coverage.
    That makes some sense. Their secondary has always been a weakness due to lack of athletes, so it would be tough to replicate good m2m coverage in practice. That shouldn't be as big of an issue at Utah for him.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

First post over here... Mostly lurked on UF but got tired of all the liberal love fest.. Think I'll try this board and UHub for football season.

Looking forward to this season and have great hopes for this team. I feel like the QB and WR can only upgrade over last year and the defense will remain solid. Now if the new punter can be 80% of Hackett I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by brettski View Post
    First post over here... Mostly lurked on UF but got tired of all the liberal love fest.. Think I'll try this board and UHub for football season.

Looking forward to this season and have great hopes for this team. I feel like the QB and WR can only upgrade over last year and the defense will remain solid. Now if the new punter can be 80% of Hackett I'll take it.
    Welcome aboard. I wish I could give you assurances regarding liberals here, but those bastards seem to be everywhere these days.

I was about to say that we're low on traffic here, but we might actually be doing better than uf.n these days. Take a few minutes and give yourself a proper introduction over in the Community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, Brettski! Pay no attention to Dwight. He's harmless and deceptively good-natured.

Seriously, we have pretty friendly political discussions here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

But watch out for LA Ute. He is one of them California libruhls.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    But watch out for LA Ute. He is one of them California libruhls.
    You're just envious because I love 'Merica more than you do. You commie.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by brettski View Post
    Welcome aboard!

I think you're basically right. Last year's overall offensive strategy was to ride Booker, minimize turnovers, and let Hackett and the D do their thing... play a field position game. This had the effect of letting the air game atrophy, which resulted in the WRs sagging, and now we have a new WR coach.

Booker's gone, Joe Williams is faster, but it wouldn't be fair to expect similar production to Devontae, who was off the charts on toughness, lateral quickness, hands. (I really don't care for the NFL Broncos, but Book makes me an instant fan.) Williams & McCormick both have home run speed.

Hopefully we won't see Tyler Huntley, he can benefit from a redshirt and watching P5 defenses in the film room and on the field. Cox is a Jr who's in the MBA program, he's athletic, really adept at the run-pass option out of the spread, and a good arm. Troy Williams is a talent, and he's a competitor. It will be T-Will vs Cox, and I hope they both stay healthy, because odds are they'll both play, in a more aggressive offense this year. Based on the Cali JC championship game where Troy threw 6 TDs in the first half, and told his coach he wanted to throw 10 for the game (before the coach called him off), he could be really good, but I would expect some mistakes and turnovers. He could be good enough to ride through those, and still prevail.

The WRs are the biggest question mark. The raw talent is there, we need to see production. Last year is in the past, and it's a new day with Coach Holliday. We have the big WRs - Tyrone Smith (really up to 205? Yeah!), Repp, Tim Patrick, Raelon Singleton, Siaosi Wilson. We have the smurfs, Butler-Byrd and the fastest track guy in Utah football history, Kyle Fulks (10.21 100M). Kenric Young is in between, a track guy who is 6-1. Who will step up? It's an open field.

The OL is solid, bummer to see Lutui hang 'em up, but otherwise we have seasoned PAC-12 talent up front. Paulo is a promising RS FR, and Garrett Bolles comes in as a 5 star JC AA.

On the D, returning starters up front, Lotulelei and Mokofisi are strong, quick and experienced inside, with Kylie Fitts and Dimick as proven DEs outside. Pita T seems to be really coming into his own, and Tupai is certainly promising. Tasini and Havili-Katoa have solid experience inside. The question I have on the DL is who would be the 3rd DE if Fitts / Dimick get dinged? Pita is a speed rusher, but 3 years in the weight room might make him serviceable on 1st and 2nd downs.

Everyone in the secondary on the 2 deep has experience, allowing Butler-Byrd to move to WR. Brian Allen is a Sean Smith type long corner, Domo and Reggie Porter are classic athletic corners who relish competition. I don't think anyone realized just how athletic returning All-PAC Junior FS Marcus Williams is, until that dunk video appeared. That was ridiculous. Chase Hansen playing at 212 lbs is a menace at Strong Safety, or can move to LB, or can be an insurance QB. He could probably contribute in the booth, too.

The backers are where everyone is looking, right now. Sunia is really solid, Barton is good, David L is a talent, but new, and Davir Hamilton is certainly an athlete, assuming he's recovered from Marcus' dunk. I think a big story line from fall camp will be does Chase Hansen bulk up and move to LB? If he can stay at SS, that means the LBs are getting it done.

If Mitch can be 80% of what Hackett was, he'll be really good, and Phillips is excellent, and provides leadership beyond that, which is pretty remarkable.

Overall, I think the defense will be put in more difficult positions this year, as the offense becomes more aggressive. A 10 win season in the PAC-12 is remarkable, any way you slice it, and it would be irrational to expect another. This team could be anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3, depending on how the ball bounces.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 07-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Booker's gone, Joe Williams is faster, but it wouldn't be fair to expect similar production to Devontae, who was off the charts on toughness, lateral quickness, hands. (I really don't care for the NFL Broncos, but Book makes me an instant fan.) Williams & McCormick both have home run speed.
    What made Booker special was his ability to take a hit and plow forward up the middle for an extra yard or three; that (and Covey) was about the only thing that kept the chains moving last year. Williams may be faster to the outside, but I worry about him on third and three. Either the O line will have to be really special, or the offense has, has, has to diversify.

Great breakdown, Ma'ke. As always.

Welcome Brettski (great name btw).

Wishnowski appears to have greater range than Hackett, but perhaps less accuracy. The thing he does have going for him is he is a serious athlete with a Linebacker build and Safety speed (isn't he roughly Chase Hansen's size?). Our opponents this year will need to account for him to run the fake on every single punt.

I really like our Defensive tremendous and backfield. They are tremendous and almost seem to go unheralded. It was only a few years ago that we had what, 4 interceptions all season? Now we have All-PAC guys who are a threat to pick off 4 passes per game. Sharrief has done a marvelous job with that group.

Coach Pete had great things to say about Troy Williams, called him a tremendous athlete and talented competitor. I look forward to seeing him on the field this year.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I recognize a lot of the similar names from old UFN posters. I also feel great about the defense. Love the breakdown Ma'ake. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What made Booker special was his ability to take a hit and plow forward up the middle for an extra yard or three; that (and Covey) was about the only thing that kept the chains moving last year. Williams may be faster to the outside, but I worry about him on third and three. Either the O line will have to be really special, or the offense has, has, has to diversify.
    To me, Joe Williams is more north & south, he can accelerate into the hole, that's probably his best opportunity for the bulk of his yards. If he was 195 last year and 205 now, hopefully he has a little more punch, and more stamina. Back in the 80s we had a RB named Carl Monroe, who had a 1500 yard season, mostly by getting through the hole quickly. Different era, different league, different Xs and Os, but I think Joe is that kind of RB, and if he gets in the open, he'll run past LBs and safeties, and should outrun half the PAC-12 corners.

10.5 100M is legit, especially for a RB, and that was as a Soph in JC. McCormick was a 200M champ in Texas, so he's probably in the same general category, a little smaller, more wiggle. We probably haven't had 2 RBs with those track credentials... ever.

If Joe Williams has a 1000+ yard season, it will probably be because the QBs were serious threats to run, ala Wilson, *and* the air game is keeping the safeties and backers on their heels. JW can't be a 30 carry back, like Booker.

To me, Joe Williams is more north & south, he can accelerate into the hole, that's probably his best opportunity for the bulk of his yards. If he was 195 last year and 205 now, hopefully he has a little more punch, and more stamina. Back in the 80s we had a RB named Carl Monroe, who had a 1500 yard season, mostly by getting through the hole quickly. Different era, different league, different Xs and Os, but I think Joe is that kind of RB, and if he gets in the open, he'll run past LBs and safeties, and should outrun half the PAC-12 corners.

10.5 100M is legit, especially for a RB, and that was as a Soph in JC. McCormick was a 200M champ in Texas, so he's probably in the same general category, a little smaller, more wiggle. We probably haven't had 2 RBs with those track credentials... ever.

If Joe Williams has a 1000+ yard season, it will probably be because the QBs were serious threats to run, ala Wilson, *and* the air game is keeping the safeties and backers on their heels. JW can't be a 30 carry back, like Booker.
    I worry about his yac. Against UCLA, he had trouble beating the corners to the outside. He tried to outrun them, which probably worked at Connecticut but not against ucla. I hope you are right of course .

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I worry about his yac. Against UCLA, he had trouble beating the corners to the outside. He tried to outrun them, which probably worked at Connecticut but not against ucla. I hope you are right of course .
    Trying to run wide on a defense is fairly easily negated, with good athletes, good reads, good technique. Every RB who had speed has tried this, and against good defenses, you look stupid. It was fun watching us run a sweep with Booker, and the defenders were probably thinking "I can't believe they're trying this...." and then Booker throws a lefty pass over the D for an easy score.

As much as anything, I think last year they may have run sweeps with Williams to instill that lesson on where his bread will be buttered. If he dances, and tried to bust everything outside, he'll be riding the bench. He seemed to be getting that.

I think if Williams can fix his issues with putting the ball on the turf (similar to Booker his first year), he'll have a great season.

I just saw that Hiva is out for his career (where have I been? Oh yeah, the beach!). That hurts. Starting centers with tons of experience are hard to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I just saw that Hiva is out for his career (where have I been? Oh yeah, the beach!). That hurts. Starting centers with tons of experience are hard to replace.
    OBX?

The good news is that we've got four returning starters and a JC stud.

OBX?

The good news is that we've got four returning starters and a JC stud.
    We east coasters travel west sometimes.

I know that we have enough bodies at OL. You just hate to lose a guy like Hiva preseason. Depth and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    We east coasters travel west sometimes.

I know that we have enough bodies at OL. You just hate to lose a guy like Hiva preseason. Depth and all that.
    No doubt...seems like we get one of these medical retirements a year.

No doubt...seems like we get one of these medical retirements a year.
    Football AND basketball.

I agree that neither of these guys can be the workhorse Booker was. Booker was special. Haven't had a back like that who could have 30 + carries a game and around 5 receptions. JW and TM will make for a good combo though. JW will need to touch the ball 20 times a game and TM at least 15. 10 of those 35 touches between the two will be in the pass game. I think TM will be used a lot like Covey was last year. Honestly, he is a bigger faster, quicker version of Covey. Can he be clutch like Covey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I agree that neither of these guys can be the workhorse Booker was. Booker was special. Haven't had a back like that who could have 30 + carries a game and around 5 receptions. JW and TM will make for a good combo though. JW will need to touch the ball 20 times a game and TM at least 15. 10 of those 35 touches between the two will be in the pass game. I think TM will be used a lot like Covey was last year. Honestly, he is a bigger faster, quicker version of Covey. Can he be clutch like Covey though.
    Hot Lunch is not usually this optimistic.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Athlon writer:

5 Reasons Why Utah is the Pac-12 South's Sleeper Team in 2016

http://athlonsports.com/college-foot....5dSqqZTL.dpuf

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    A wildly unrealistic prospectus. Your top pass-catching RB in all of FBS last year had 75, second-highest was 60. Assuming for a 65-35 split in touches in the pass game, you would be projecting Joe Williams for an 80-plus catch season. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    A wildly unrealistic prospectus. Your top pass-catching RB in all of FBS last year had 75, second-highest was 60. Assuming for a 65-35 split in touches in the pass game, you would be projecting Joe Williams for an 80-plus catch season. Not happening.
    Maybe it is. When 1 of the 2 lines up as a slot receiver often, maybe it isn't. These are the top two play makers in this offense. Roderick will be very creative and use them in many different formations all over the field. Will be interesting to see where they end up.