Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An officer down in my neighborhood

Hybrid View

An officer down in my neighborhood

I'm shocked and incredibly sad to hear of an officer being fatally shot in my neighborhood today. One of my closest friends and also my cousin are LEOs and this is my worst nightmare for them. Through them I've gotten to know others in law enforcement and I admire all that they do and wonder how they even deal with the awful stuff they deal with every day. I feel bad for the wife and three children this man left behind. Sickening.

And not to sound like that sort of guy, but I never expected something like this to happen in my neighborhood. My community is roiling right now in disbelief.

Be safe out there Diehard, I'm sorry for the loss of another brother out there. Remember that while there is a vocal minority shouting about the job you and your contemporaries do, the majority of us stand behind you.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 01-17-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I know the officer who was wounded. He worked for our agency for 25 years before going to Unified. I likely met Officer Barney at some point but I can't say for sure.

We're out working tonight as always. Some of our detectives are still working the investigation.

We appreciate the support. When this happens the color of our uniform no longer matters

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I know the officer who was wounded. He worked for our agency for 25 years before going to Unified. I likely met Officer Barney at some point but I can't say for sure.

We're out working tonight as always. Some of our detectives are still working the investigation.

We appreciate the support. When this happens the color of our uniform no longer matters

Thanks for all you do, my friend.

For anyone wanting to pay their respects, a candlelight vigil will be held tonight, 01/20 at 6PM at the Holladay City Office.

Funeral is Monday January 25th at 11:00 at the Maverik Center. The funeral procession will go through Holladay.

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 01-20-2016 at 02:47 AM.

For anyone wanting to pay their respects, a candlelight vigil will be held tonight, 01/20 at 6PM at the Holladay City Office.

Funeral is Monday January 25th at 11:00 at the Maverik Center. The funeral procession will go through Holladay.

Olympus High School and the Holladay City building are lined with flags today.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We were talking in my family about the Black Lives Matter movement, the police shootings situation, etc. My oldest son, just about to get his Masters in Mining Engineering at the U, told us about an incident he had in high school that we'd never heard before.

My son and his friend, who is adopted, originally from El Salvador, were pulled over, and the officer took a very aggressive approach with my son's friend, who was the driver. Basically, the officer shoved the kid up on the hood, then had him face down on the pavement, and cuffed him.

My son got out of the car to try and appeal for calm, and the officer pointed his gun at him, and ordered him back in the car.

Eventually, both kids were released. The issue? An unpaid parking ticket.

Understood there are knucklehead cops, just like in every other field, but for a couple of middle class teenagers of color to get this kind of treatment, in Davis County, Utah, is a small indication of what the BLM folks are talking about.

This is terrible. WTF is wrong with people? So sorry to hear this happened.

Be safe out there, Diehard.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    This is terrible. WTF is wrong with people? So sorry to hear this happened.

Be safe out there, Diehard.
    Thanks.

We wonder the same thing.

Then we go read Utah Against Police Brutality's Facebook page and just shake our heads.

Thanks.

We wonder the same thing.

Then we go read Utah Against Police Brutality's Facebook page and just shake our heads.

I just spent two minutes going through their page. What a disgrace. Cut from the same cloth as the westboro folks.

I read that the officer who was killed didn´t even unholster his gun. He was basically flat-out murdered.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I read that the officer who was killed didn´t even unholster his gun. He was basically flat-out murdered.
    Yes. From all I know there's no doubt it was cold blooded murder.

I should also add there have been threats made by the family of the shooter towards Officer Richey and other officers.

For anyone interested in attending any of the Funeral or procession on Monday here are the details.

Funeral is at 11 at the Maverik center and it is open to the public. Expect 4,000+ police officers.

The funeral will likely last about 90 minutes. A cordon of honor will be formed outside by all the officers present and Officer Barney's casket will be taken to the hearse.

The procession will then leave. 200 or so police motorcycles will lead the way followed by several hundred police cars. The route will be onto I-215 NB to SR201 EB, then to I-80 EB continuing onto I-215 SB until 3900 S. At 3900 S it will exit the freeway and go west until 2300 E where it will turn south until getting back on I-215 at 6200 South. It will then back south to Orem.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KFdFRqNiuFw

In law enforcement the most emotional part of a funeral is the last call over the radio.

This is the last call for Officer Doug Barney 96K.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KFdFRqNiuFw

In law enforcement the most emotional part of a funeral is the last call over the radio.

This is the last call for Officer Doug Barney 96K.

Wow, hard not to get emotional listening to that.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Seeing all of the funeral coverage has been both heart breaking and beautiful at the same time. My grandpa was a Sergeant for SLPD and worked for the force in some capacity for about 45 years. At one point he created the Chaplain program and worked on that part time, long after his retirement. He had heart breaking stories of visiting families of victims and fallen officers alike, delivering bad news. Despite all of that, I was still surprised to see the police presence at his funeral service when he passed away eight years ago. From the chapel to the cemetery, it brought a level of honor to the service that I will always appreciate.

Much appreciation to all those that serve and protect.

Uhg... Who wants to repost in this thread, but it is heartbreaking the news in Dallas... Now 5 fallen officers and 11 shot.

What is this world coming to? I know that is a question asked by every generation but is this really what we want? Where the good guys have become bag guys and targets?

I hope our nation pulls together instead of falling apart. People have a right to protest but what would it do to heal both sides if instead of taking to the streets right now America said, "We love and respect the good cops so we are taking our protest online to protect them from being targeted. Get rid of corrupt and trigger happy cops, but we as a nation stand as one together and for the rule of law..."

I am very fearful of copycat attacks. Diehard and all of my other LEO friends, please stay safe out there. My heart breaks for all of you and your fallen brothers.

Amen, Rocker.

--Yeats

We're a big nation, with a lot of deep seated problems. Watching the news on the guy killed by police in Baton Rouge, I thought "I know these people. They're the same folks who are in my wife's neighborhood back in Kentucky".

The dysfunction in the ghettos is foreign to most of us. I was blown away when I first encountered it, 28 years ago. In some ways fascinating ways, slavery is still with us.

Brandon Cox is from Pasadena. Dominique Hatfield is from Crenshaw. Same big city. Completely different universes.

Canada had it right. They saw what was happening in our big cities, and decided to prevent the formation of ghettoes. Toronto is far less violent than most US cities, including SLC (I believe).

Into this mix we have super easy access to all kinds of guns, and throw in high quality military training, a byproduct of multiple wars in insanely dysfunctional nations, and this kind of event shouldn't be surprising.

--Yeats

The double standard is real and needs to be fixed. Black people shouldn't have to live in fear. All minorities shouldn't have to worry about whether they are going to be harassed. My bro-in-law is Puerto Rican and he has an old beat up pickup truck he uses once in a while. He says almost invariably when he drives the truck he'll get pulled over, it never happens when he is in his suit going to work in his Toyota.

But isn't it an interesting irony that while some in law enforcement profile minorities because of some past bad experience some of the public is now turning around and profiling all cops because of these other bad experiences?

I'm not dismissing anything, it is just an interesting display of human nature.

I am bothered to hear President Obama using this as an opportunity for gun control. Let's work to heal and unify the country and then fix the problems with guns but let's keep politics out of it for just one minute and stand together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The double standard is real and needs to be fixed. Black people shouldn't have to live in fear. All minorities shouldn't have to worry about whether they are going to be harassed. My bro-in-law is Puerto Rican and he has an old beat up pickup truck he uses once in a while. He says almost invariably when he drives the truck he'll get pulled over, it never happens when he is in his suit going to work in his Toyota.

But isn't it an interesting irony that while some in law enforcement profile minorities because of some past bad experience some of the public is now turning around and profiling all cops because of these other bad experiences?

I'm not dismissing anything, it is just an interesting display of human nature.

I am bothered to hear President Obama using this as an opportunity for gun control. Let's work to heal and unify the country and then fix the problems with guns but let's keep politics out of it for just one minute and stand together.

And I can't believe Obama still has a pretty high approval rating.

I'll try to shut up about this but as I think about things a couple of truths:

There is too much police violence, although I'm sympathetic to the situations they are put in that I believe contributes to this. Specifically any situation that they go into is life threatening. Pulling over someone with a tail light out can end your life. So being in hat situation of course you are keyed up.

I believe that most officers work hard to do everything they can to never have to take a human life, yet the are prepared and trained to do what's necessary and the end of the day they just want to go home alive.

So if those are the three elements: 1. most officers don't want to kill anyone, 2. Their jobs are highly and insanely stressful and dangerous, 3. They'll do what any human would do and will act to preserve their own lives... How do we teach and train them in such a way as to provide them with the best protection so they feel safe and also work to preserve human life?

There isn't an easy answer to that but I believe there are solutions. This is at least what we need to do to approach the first problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'll try to shut up about this but as I think about things a couple of truths:

There is too much police violence, although I'm sympathetic to the situations they are put in that I believe contributes to this. Specifically any situation that they go into is life threatening. Pulling over someone with a tail light out can end your life. So being in hat situation of course you are keyed up.

I believe that most officers work hard to do everything they can to never have to take a human life, yet the are prepared and trained to do what's necessary and the end of the day they just want to go home alive.

So if those are the three elements: 1. most officers don't want to kill anyone, 2. Their jobs are highly and insanely stressful and dangerous, 3. They'll do what any human would do and will act to preserve their own lives... How do we teach and train them in such a way as to provide them with the best protection so they feel safe and also work to preserve human life?

There isn't an easy answer to that but I believe there are solutions. This is at least what we need to do to approach the first problem.

And my thoughts are Police officers have guns. If you attack a police officer with a shovel he is going to shoot you. If you resist arrest and he feels threatened, there is good chance he is going to shoot you. If you refuse to cooperate and he feels threatened, he might shoot you. So, do you what normal humans do when dealing with cops--cooperate. Then, if they are being difficult, after you roll up the window, call them mother fuckers under your breath. Or, if they arrest you (even if you think wrongfully), cooperate and live to fight another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    And my thoughts are Police officers have guns. If you attack a police officer with a shovel he is going to shoot you. If you resist arrest and he feels threatened, there is good chance he is going to shoot you. If you refuse to cooperate and he feels threatened, he might shoot you. So, do you what normal humans do when dealing with cops--cooperate. Then, if they are being difficult, after you roll up the window, call them mother fuckers under your breath. Or, if they arrest you (even if you think wrongfully), cooperate and live to fight another day.
    I saw multiple people on twitter last night saying that anyone who says stuff like this doesn't have a voice in this discussion because...........#privilege. That attitude might be the most useless and strange contribution to this discussion Ive seen. (For Clarity...........their attitude, not yours Two Utes, as I agree with you.)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I saw multiple people on twitter last night saying that anyone who says stuff like this doesn't have a voice in this discussion because...........#privilege. That attitude might be the most useless and strange contribution to this discussion Ive seen. (For Clarity...........their attitude, not yours Two Utes, as I agree with you.)
    I get it that I don't get pulled over like people of color do. I also don't get pulled over as much as poor white people because my registration is up to date and I regularly fix any problems with my car that might cause a cop to pull me over (partly because I have enough money to do that and partly because I pay attention to stuff that needs to be done).

So what? Are you entitled to resist arrest because you get pulled over more than rich people? (rich black people also tend to do fairly well in the justice system)

It's a problem that minorities get pulled over more. But that still doesn't give them a right to resist arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I get it that I don't get pulled over like people of color do. I also don't get pulled over as much as poor white people because my registration is up to date and I regularly fix any problems with my car that might cause a cop to pull me over (partly because I have enough money to do that and partly because I pay attention to stuff that needs to be done).

So what? Are you entitled to resist arrest because you get pulled over more than rich people? (rich black people also tend to do fairly well in the justice system)

It's a problem that minorities get pulled over more. But that still doesn't give them a right to resist arrest.
    Well, I didn't see anything in the Minnesota video to suggest that the passenger was resisting arrest or going for a gun (after he supposedly told the officer he had one per protocol), although the video only captures the aftermath. It is unclear to me why the officer had his gun drawn or why he told the passenger to put his hands in the air for a broken tail light. I suspect, but dont know, that the officer panicked when the passenger told him he had a gun and a permit.

I don't think any of us can appreciate what it means to an African American and be pulled over because of skin color. My daughter has a very close friend who wants to be a doctor with a 4.0 gpa in the West IB. Her parents are both on the faculty at the U. They were coming back from Moab up highway 6 a couple of weeks ago. The daughter was driving. The highway patrol pulled her over. When he approached the car and realized that there was a family inside, he waved them off and told them to never mind. They knew they were pulled over because the driver was African American. The daughter has expressed to my daughter an extreme sense of violation, and says her parents feels the same way, at least as strongly. Knowing them, I am sure that is true.

That doesn't happen to us.

But you are right about one thing--I heard Don Lemon say on CNN the other night that he always always always does exactly what the police say, because he cant take any risk as an AA.
    Last edited by concerned; 07-08-2016 at 11:08 AM.

In the end it's better if I just don't say anything at all.
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 07-08-2016 at 10:30 AM.