Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 105 of 105

Thread: An officer down in my neighborhood

  1. #91
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,876

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  2. #92
    Did this officer have a long, clean record of service up to this point? If so, I'd reprimand him and forgive him, especially if he genuinely feels bad about losing it.

  3. #93
    What I don't understand in all of this is up to the point of when things getting crazy it was obviously just two people trying to do their jobs and doing what their supervisors demanded. Why not get their supervisors talking to each other and sort it out. She was clearly trying to comply with the cop's request by contacting various supervisors, it wasn't just her being belligerent.

    As a cop I would be worried that if the draw was done illegally it would later be inadmissible in court too.

    Paul Cassell's take was pretty interesting: http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commen...s-complicated/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #94
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    What I don't understand in all of this is up to the point of when things getting crazy it was obviously just two people trying to do their jobs and doing what their supervisors demanded. Why not get their supervisors talking to each other and sort it out. She was clearly trying to comply with the cop's request by contacting various supervisors, it wasn't just her being belligerent.

    As a cop I would be worried that if the draw was done illegally it would later be inadmissible in court too.

    Paul Cassell's take was pretty interesting: http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commen...s-complicated/
    The Cassell op-ed is enlightening. If the officer hadn't lost it this could have ended without all the drama.

    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Did this officer have a long, clean record of service up to this point? If so, I'd reprimand him and forgive him, especially if he genuinely feels bad about losing it.
    The article I linked to is from a libertarian publication that leans anti-cop. I'll leave it to the SLPD to sort this out. I doubt that officer will ever be back on the blood draw detail, however.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  5. #95
    Another reasonable solution given the apparent impasse would be to have the hospital do the blood draw but retain possession of it until the issue could be sorted out, or they could get a warrant, since time was of the essence regarding his potential BAC.

  6. #96
    Union doubling down on Wubbels incident......


    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45952173&nid=148
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Union doubling down on Wubbels incident......


    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45952173&nid=148
    Hartney's comments deserve a laugh track behind them. What a stooge.

    I've spoken to officer Payne myself and he said, 'Yes, of course I could have done things differently.' But once he made the decision to make the arrest, he needs to follow through. And he did follow through,"

    Based on what little he says he has seen, Hartney believes Payne gave Wubbels ample time to peacefully put her hands behind her back before arresting her more forcefully.
    "I would say yes, because in that video I saw, I could see that she was informed that she was under arrest. I saw her swat officer Payne's hand away using her hand. I saw her back up. I saw her spin around. There was lots of movements there," Hartney said.

    He also noted that "any resisting of arrest, it's embarrassing and it does not look good. There's no way it ever can. It's odd to say, but known criminals are easier to arrest than a first-time offender because they know the process: they turn around, they put their hands behind their back, we put handcuffs on them and escort them to the car."


    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 09-28-2017 at 04:13 PM.

  8. #98
    Payne terminated. Brown demoted. Appeals and lawsuits likely to follow........

    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46118645&ni...tenant-demoted
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  9. #99
    That seems a little harsh, but maybe I haven't followed the story close enough.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    That seems a little harsh, but maybe I haven't followed the story close enough.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I don't know how the rest of Payne's career has gone, but just watching that video, even once, shows that he has no business being a police officer. I don't see what other choice they had.

  11. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I don't know how the rest of Payne's career has gone
    I think this matters. If he's always beeb a great cop, i have no problem forgiving this mistake. I imagine they want to do that but can't because the video went viral, and we are really unforgiving towards people we don't know.

  12. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I don't know how the rest of Payne's career has gone, but just watching that video, even once, shows that he has no business being a police officer. I don't see what other choice they had.
    He probably shouldn't be allowed to own a gun or wear a mustache either.

  13. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think this matters. If he's always beeb a great cop, i have no problem forgiving this mistake. I imagine they want to do that but can't because the video went viral, and we are really unforgiving towards people we don't know.
    FWIW, a guy I trust who is familiar with Payne had a very low opinion of him before this happened as an officer.

    I mentioned elsewhere that I don't think the sentence he has received (as dealt by public opinion) truly matches the crime, meaning he has been so publicly castigated that he probably won't be able to get a job anywhere. However, I also believe he probably should have lost his job with the SLCPD. Guys going nuts in a non-hostile non-urgent situation should probably not be out there protecting the public. Hopefully that distinction makes sense.

  14. #104

    An officer down in my neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    He probably shouldn't be allowed to own a gun or wear a mustache either.
    We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment.

  15. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment.
    I don't care. He is no longer worthy of his mustache card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •