Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticking it to the Smart Kids - Cal and Stanford visit SLC

Sticking it to the Smart Kids - Cal and Stanford visit SLC

A big week for the Runnin Utes awaits as they come home fresh off a sweep in Washington and looking for a little revenge against one team they should've beaten and one team that ran them off the floor.

Both teams are part of the logjam at 4-3 right now, and wins over both squads would be both satisfying and help move us up in the standings, depending on what happens elsewhere in the league.

Cal is up first and they are fresh off of a big home sweep of the Arizona schools. Cal is even through 7 games, winning all four home games and losing all three on the road. I believe Wallace who is their leading scorer is out for some time, so that should help us. All in all, we just need to get this one and keep rolling.

Stanford is interesting because they have an average RPI (in the top 50) and an average record, but they have a really good SOS, so they might be able to sneak into the NCAA Tournament with a few big wins. Last time we played them we flat out handed it to them and all though Rosco played well, our end of game performance was terrible, including 4 missed free throws from two senior leaders.

Anything less than 6-3 at the midway point here would be a significant letdown.

Feed Poetel!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah by 4 & 1/2 --per Vegas.

Kuz/Chapman need to at least play Rabb to a draw.

Anybody want 2 good seats to tonight's game? PM me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Anybody want 2 good seats to tonight's game? PM me.
    They are gone. Wow, that was quick.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

It doesn't take a whole lot for this weekend to end with a 6-way tie for first at 6-3, which would be gloriously insane and is therefore something I want to see. UW would have to beat UCLA and lose to USC, and Oregon needs one loss on the AZ roadie. Colorado, Utah, USC and Arizona need to go 2-0. Viola -- 6-way tie for first.

If someone wants to see if a 10-way tie for first at 5-4 is possible, hop to it!

Phil Cullen's e-mail:

After playing five of our first seven games onthe road we are looking forward to being back home. This weekend we hostthe Bay Area schools with Cal on Wednesday at 9 pm and Stanford on Saturday at3 pm.

Cal is coming off of a recent home win against Arizona and has been playingextremely well despite an injury to their point guard, #3 Tyrone Wallace. Cal is led in scoring by #0 Jaylen Brown 15.9 ppg, 5.9 rpg, #24 Jordan Matthews14.4 ppg, 49% from the 3-pt line and #1 Ivan Rabb 12.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg. Click here to view the Cal stats.

On Saturday we host Stanford who is led by Senior #25 Rosco Allen. Allen is an extremely athletic forward that can take advantage of a number ofmatchups defensively. He is averaging 14.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg and is shooting38% from the 3-pt line. Around Allen they have four other startersaveraging double figures. #22 Reid Travis 12.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg, #14 MarcusAllen 12.6 ppg, #11 Dorian Pickens 11.4 ppg and #10 Michael Humphrey 10.7 ppgand 6.8 rpg. Click here to view the Stanfordstats.

Supportour Utes by wearing black on Wednesday night for the BLACKOUT game and bringinga teddy bear for the Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday for the Cancer AwarenessGame. We look forward to seeing you this week! GO UTES!

--Yeats

I love Bonam's ability to finish at the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

So...Kyle...about that 3...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Kuzma three point attempts should go into the books as turnovers.
    Add Reyes and the corner 3 to that as well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Huntsman Center sounds pretty quiet tonight.

Feels like we've played far better than a 1 point lead at the half.

Sigh.

--Yeats

Not a great start to the second half, huh?

--Yeats

It's interesting to watch Loveridge tonight. Looks lost.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by HooperUte View Post
    19-2 run for the Utes since the score Cal led 40-35.
    Amazing what a little bit of confidence will do for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by HooperUte View Post
    19-2 run for the Utes since the score Cal led 40-35.
    But beware. They had a run on us like that. Crazy game.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But beware. They had a run on us like that. Crazy game.
    Right. This was a good timeout by LK. Cal was starting to heat up again and we were getting tentative. Let's hope we can regroup.

--Yeats

This is a nice win...Cal could be very dangerous down the stretch and in the conference tournament if they get healthy at the right time.

Really nice win---if Brown & Rabb both come back, Cal could be really good next year. Brown is ready to move on. He owned Loveridge.

Bonam had a good game handling the ball. He & Jakob on high pick & roll was deadly.

Kuzma was as good as Rabb.

And Jakob was much better than the Cal 5's. Rooks has a really weird build---back trouble waiting to happen & he is in lousy shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Really nice win---if Brown & Rabb both come back, Cal could be really good next year. Brown is ready to move on. He owned Loveridge.

Bonam had a good game handling the ball. He & Jakob on high pick & roll was deadly.

Kuzma was as good as Rabb.

And Jakob was much better than the Cal 5's. Rooks has a really weird build---back trouble waiting to happen & he is in lousy shape.
    So was that old standing ute who got leveled when the ball went ob in the first half? You weren't standing then.

4 nice ones in a row! Can we win out?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    4 nice ones in a row! Can we win out?
    The LA road swing will be interesting. I think we split -- beating UCLA but not USC. Still, I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.

--Yeats

Sitting at 1-3 and having a tough time against Oregon State, I never would have thought wed be 5-3 at this point. Terrific win last night. We went with 8 guys last night. As taxing as that is to the players, we may have no choice but to stick to those 8 going forward.

Reyes minutes way down too because Jacob has been able to avoid foul trouble. Can't believe the change in the team over the past couple of weeks. About 3 weeks ago I posted that I was so pissed off we couldn't get the ball inside or break down a zone. Now we get the ball to Jakob and get to the rim almost with impunity. Kuzma great last night. Good enough. Such a change is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So the odd men out were Bealer, Ogbe, and Wright? Funny, Wright's minutes the past four games go 7, 2, 7, 0. Larry seems to want to keep giving him chances to show something, but he keeps showing nothing. If Taylor really is emerging from his slump, minutes for Wright will be increasingly hard to find.
    I think Ogbe would be giving us a nine man rotation if he were healthy. And I agree. As strange as it is to see Tucker at the 2 spot, Larry really has no choice right now.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Reyes minutes way down too because Jacob has been able to avoid foul trouble. Can't believe the change in the team over the past couple of weeks. About 3 weeks ago I posted that I was so pissed off we couldn't get the ball inside or break down a zone. Now we get the ball to Jakob and get to the rim almost with impunity. Kuzma great last night. Good enough. Such a change is possible.
    I really like the Poeltl/Kuzma front line. Their interior passing to each other is a treat to watch.

Reyes has taken two corner 3's this year. He may as well just let the ball sail out of bounds when it comes to him there. I can't even imagine why he ever goes there. I blame the coaches for putting him in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I really like the Poeltl/Kuzma front line. Their interior passing to each other is a treat to watch.

Reyes has taken two corner 3's this year. He may as well just let the ball sail out of bounds when it comes to him there. I can't even imagine why he ever goes there. I blame the coaches for putting him in that position.
    I like his chances more from there than the layup he attempted last night. Used the same force as a three, just much, MUCH closer. I think it turned into its own outlet pass.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So was that old standing ute who got leveled when the ball went ob in the first half? You weren't standing then.
    True.
    I was too busy helping the ref call that & every other play.

My wife has a great black eye today. Concussion protocol was a glass of red wine. Brandon Taylor going full speed right at you looks bigger than 5'8".

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think Ogbe would be giving us a nine man rotation if he were healthy. And I agree. As strange as it is to see Tucker at the 2 spot, Larry really has no choice right now.
    I think Ogbe is done for the year, which makes sense if he can get an extra year.

Tucker & Taylor at guards is scary----I would press them hard in backcourt & make Tucker handle the ball.

Very nice win last night. This team has always had an ability to look fantastic for a stretch and then turn around and look like garbage for a few minutes and that was really magnified last night. Of course Cal deserves some credit in that. I don't know if this team can find an answer for those in-game slumps or if that's just who we are this year.

The second half defensive strategy appeared to take our chances with Brown going 1-on-1 but not leave any shooters open. It worked, but man Brown is punishing. It helped that he got a lot of calls anytime he initiated some contact with a stationary or back-pedaling defender.

One of Utah's formerly crappy coaches (can't remember if it was Giac or Boylen) used to require players to earn a license to shoot 3s by hitting a certain percentage. Kuzma needs to have his license revoked. Wow! He's doing a good job overall and he can work on his 3s and come back next season (when he may very well be our go-to guy) but for this season we need to retire that shot. Reyes also should have lost his license to shoot layups after he once again managed to shoot a layup off the glass and not even draw iron.

I thought Brekkot played his best game of the year and of course Taylor was very good. It seems like this team runs action specifically to get shots for Loveridge and Taylor but not Tucker, which is weird.

The lack of depth on this team is concerning. Strangely, it's wing and guard where we are thinnest right now.