Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

This one's for those of us who love dogs. I am an unabashed dog lover. Last summer we lost our big mixed-breed Wonder Dog, who lived almost 17 years. This is our 4 year-old Australian Shepherd. She's just been confronted with what's left of a Ziploc bag of donuts that was left on the kitchen counter the night before. She basically drilled a hole in the bag and at 6 of 8 donuts (the other two were mashed into crumbs). To me she looks a bit guilty.

Anyway, this thread is the place for dog stories, comments, breed questions, veterinary dilemmas, and all things appealing to dog lovers.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I know they're not the manliest of breeds, but I love my pugs. They've got great personalities, and continue to crack me up even after all these years. I also like English Bulldogs, but the one I had in the past was very heavy on maintenance.

Boxer and Frenchton here......

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

The Tokolosh family has a German Shorthair Pointer. She's a great dog and perfect with the kids. The youngest son and the dog are pretty inseparable and if either sits down the other joins them within a few minutes.

My wife hates dogs but I had a great basset hound until last year. Smelly and needy but loyal, funny, and gentle.

I want to get a Jack Russell. Those little flippers are a heckuva lot of fun.

That's a beautiful dog, LA.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    That's a beautiful dog, LA.
    I'll tell her you said that. Aussies Are a great breed, loving, awesomely loyal, and really smart. They are working dog, however, and need to be kept busy. Otherwise they do things like stealing donuts.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    I know they're not the manliest of breeds, but I love my pugs. They've got great personalities, and continue to crack me up even after all these years. I also like English Bulldogs, but the one I had in the past was very heavy on maintenance.
    How did I not know you have pugs? We're getting packed this weekend and the pugs are becoming aware that a change is imminent. I'm sure having a couple of fellow pug acquaintances will make their move to Phoenix easier.

My wife and I had a white shepherd from the humane society from when we first started dating in '94 up until 2006. He moved across country with us twice and was the biggest reason our marriage lasted through grad school and residency. After putting him down we waited a few years for the next addition to our menagerie. Our kids ultimately chose a yellow lab, who is now going on 3. He has been great. I get out duck hunting with him and my kids love having a dog.

This is last summer, doing some retrieval training on a boys trip up in Idaho
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I love how willing labs are to get into the water
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

A couple of Staffies and an English Bulldog. I don't trust anyone that doesn't like dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I love how willing labs are to get into the water
    And then share it with you when they get out.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

And the inside of the car, and the mud room, and..
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

We have the result of an accident between a Miniature Schnauzer and a Blue Healer. She looks like a donkey and my wife couldn't live without her. Neither could I.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    We have the result of an accident between a Miniature Schnauzer and a Blue Healer. She looks like a donkey and my wife couldn't live without her. Neither could I.
    Good for you guys. I don't believe in snobbery when it comes to dog breeds. The best animal I've ever known in my life was our mixed breed dog who lived to be almost 17.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    A couple of Staffies and an English Bulldog. I don't trust anyone that doesn't like dogs.
    This. Anybody who doesn't understand and appreciate the unconditional love a dog is missing a part of their soul.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    How did I not know you have pugs? We're getting packed this weekend and the pugs are becoming aware that a change is imminent. I'm sure having a couple of fellow pug acquaintances will make their move to Phoenix easier.
    Could of swore I'd mentioned that before. We'll have to get together at the dog park when you get to town. Oh, and I keep saying pugs, but it's down to pug. Our sweet lil guy Walter passed a while back, but I still catch myself speaking in plurals from time to time.

This is Bubba, he's 10 years old and is a mix of a Golden Retriever and Black Lab.

Here is a list of things he's eaten:
    Dry Wall
    Dish Remote
    Shoes
    Socks
    Dirty Diapers
    T-Shirts
    An entire bag of Wet Wipes
    2 Blocks of Rid-X Rat Poison
    Floss

And much more, I love this dumb bastard and wouldn't changes anything about him.

bubba.jpg
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    This is Bubba, he's 10 years old and is a mix of a Golden Retriever and Black Lab.

Here is a list of things he's eaten:
    Dry Wall
    Dish Remote
    Shoes
    Socks
    Dirty Diapers
    T-Shirts
    An entire bag of Wet Wipes
    2 Blocks of Rid-X Rat Poison
    Floss

And much more, I love this dumb bastard and wouldn't changes anything about him.

bubba.jpg
    My wife once made an emergency run to the vet when our Aussie ate a box of snail bait. (Beware - it tastes good to dogs.) She also polished off a new bottle of Rimadyl, an anti-inaflammatory we had for our really old dog. Amazing what trouble an inquisitive pooch can get into.

--Yeats

I love labs. Friendliest creatures on earth!

We have a white mini schnauzer that we got from the local pound - best walking partner I've ever had. He keeps me going out EVERY day. He meets me at the door when I get home from work, looking at me with the "Why aren't you changed and Why haven't we left yet" look.

250639_4822721123540_714048009_n.jpg

We are going to have to put his girl down this week. She is only 4 and is healthy and is the sweetest dog you could imagine 99% of the time. However, she has a dark side. She is a rescue and was abused early in her life. She is very anxious and her fight or flight is all fight. She has gotten into multiple fights with our older lab over the last 3 years we've had her and we have worked with her a lot and thought we were past it (despite trips to the vet ER and human ER ... my finger got nicked pretty bad once).

In fact, they went a whole year without fighting. But starting last month, it started back up. No harm no foul for the first few (the family has become adept at the right way to break them up ... the trick is to grab them by their hind legs like a wheelbarrow). Anyway, this Friday morning my wife's hand got in the way ... the dog though she had the other dog and wouldn't let go ... she gets completely out of her mind when she is like this. Anyway my wife ended up with five stitches and a broken metacarpal ... hand surgeon consultation is today to find out if it needs surgery ... ER thought it would.

Give that this is the second on the record bite issue (ER calls the cops) animal control may force the issue but even if not we have come to the painful conclusion that putting her down will be best. Rescues and the pound don't even try to adopt out dogs that have aggressive history, not to mention that with her issues a place like that would be terribly traumatic. So she's suffer for 48 hours or however long it is only to end up with the same fate.

We are heartbroken about it because she really is a sweet dog ... but don't really see an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post

We are going to have to put his girl down this week. She is only 4 and is healthy and is the sweetest dog you could imagine 99% of the time. However, she has a dark side. She is a rescue and was abused early in her life. She is very anxious and her fight or flight is all fight. She has gotten into multiple fights with our older lab over the last 3 years we've had her and we have worked with her a lot and thought we were past it (despite trips to the vet ER and human ER ... my finger got nicked pretty bad once).

In fact, they went a whole year without fighting. But starting last month, it started back up. No harm no foul for the first few (the family has become adept at the right way to break them up ... the trick is to grab them by their hind legs like a wheelbarrow). Anyway, this Friday morning my wife's hand got in the way ... the dog though she had the other dog and wouldn't let go ... she gets completely out of her mind when she is like this. Anyway my wife ended up with five stitches and a broken metacarpal ... hand surgeon consultation is today to find out if it needs surgery ... ER thought it would.

Give that this is the second on the record bite issue (ER calls the cops) animal control may force the issue but even if not we have come to the painful conclusion that putting her down will be best. Rescues and the pound don't even try to adopt out dogs that have aggressive history, not to mention that with her issues a place like that would be terribly traumatic. So she's suffer for 48 hours or however long it is only to end up with the same fate.

We are heartbroken about it because she really is a sweet dog ... but don't really see an alternative.
    FM, I am so sorry. That's such a tough thing to have to do. I can only imagine. If you feel like it, let us know how it goes. This is a good place for listening dog-lover ears.

--Yeats

That's heart breaking FM. But, I agree. There really is no alternative.

Wow, that sucks FM. She had come so far. She was a nervous nelly the first time I saw her but this last time Tick and I were there she was awesome!!! Im bummed about this...

Here is my little pup. She is a labradoodle. Her name is Liberty as she was born on the 4th of July. She has been the best dog I have ever owned. She is 7 months now.

When we first got her...

Now...

She needs a haircut, but we love the long hair. Everyone calls her monster.

Labradoodles are supposed to be great. I'd like to have one, if we can fit another pup into our lives.

--Yeats

I wish I had a dog. I've always wanted a Husky or Malamute.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Labradoodles are supposed to be great. I'd like to have one, if we can fit another pup into our lives.
    My aunt has one and it hates me for no reason (avoids me, barks at me). I can't say I like the breed.

We are going to have to put his girl down this week. She is only 4 and is healthy and is the sweetest dog you could imagine 99% of the time. However, she has a dark side. She is a rescue and was abused early in her life. She is very anxious and her fight or flight is all fight. She has gotten into multiple fights with our older lab over the last 3 years we've had her and we have worked with her a lot and thought we were past it (despite trips to the vet ER and human ER ... my finger got nicked pretty bad once). ...

I'm really sorry to hear that FM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk tank View Post
    Here is my little pup. She is a labradoodle. Her name is Liberty as she was born on the 4th of July. She has been the best dog I have ever owned. She is 7 months now.

When we first got her...

Now...

She needs a haircut, but we love the long hair. Everyone calls her monster.

Rumor has it that they do not shed...is that correct. I love the long hair.