Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. My wife is pretty set on starting with a puppy right now (which eliminates Rocker's rescue suggestion) with the idea that down the road we may want to rescue a dog to provide a friend for this one.

My wife is a certified pet lover and my kids are young and energetic. My wife and I both run or walk almost daily. I think all of this will give the dog sufficient exercise and attention, although I'm sure there will still be the occasional day where we have to leave it alone for a good portion of the day. My biggest fear is that there will be too many of those days and the dog will turn destructive. Other than that everything sounds just about ideal.
    If you have to leave the dog when it's young, it should be just fine if you leave it in a room with plenty of toys. Unsupervised, with the run of the yard or the house, is a recipe for trouble. So...don't worry! You can handle it!

"Loyal and obedient, Australian Shepherds will follow their pack leader (that's you!) to the end of the earth. They are highly skilled at herding and agility games. Unlike the Border Collie, the Australian Shepard has an 'Off Switch." Which means that they are just as happy to lay at your feet, as they are to play ball or any other 'job' you choose for them."

http://www.doodlesvilleva.com/aussiedoodle-info.php
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-03-2016 at 12:22 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I was confused. I didn't realize Aussiedoodle was a mix of Australian Shepherd with a poodle. Those are adorable! I thought you were looking for an 'Australian Labradoodle', which are tremendous dogs but seem to command an exorbitantly price.

Either way, 'designer breeds' are a lot of fun, particularly those with poodle as part of the mix.

Our dog is a medium Goldendoodle. He weighs about 37#, and is 'fun sized'. He has a bigger bark than his size indicates, but I honestly think he would be a bad watch dog. He also has no concept of 'personal space' as he prefers to lie down on my feet when I am at a table or on the couch. It seems as though I am always tripping over him when I try move. I tried to keep him from sleeping on our bed, but my wife loves him so she won. He lives to go on walks and will grab his leash if anybody says the word 'walk' in casual conversation.

As with LA's Aussie Shepherds, Goldendoodles have an off switch and he is happy lying on the floor or couch for hours at a time, as long as we are around. It seems Aussiedoodles have a good blend of these traits.
    Good luck! Dogs can be a tremendous addition to your life, especially if you make them part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I was confused. I didn't realize Aussiedoodle was a mix of Australian Shepherd with a poodle. Those are adorable! I thought you were looking for an 'Australian Labradoodle', which are tremendous dogs but seem to command an exorbitantly price.

Either way, 'designer breeds' are a lot of fun, particularly those with poodle as part of the mix.

Our dog is a medium Goldendoodle. He weighs about 37#, and is 'fun sized'. He has a bigger bark than his size indicates, but I honestly think he would be a bad watch dog. He also has no concept of 'personal space' as he prefers to lie down on my feet when I am at a table or on the couch. It seems as though I am always tripping over him when I try move. I tried to keep him from sleeping on our bed, but my wife loves him so she won. He lives to go on walks and will grab his leash if anybody says the word 'walk' in casual conversation.

As with LA's Aussie Shepherds, Goldendoodles have an off switch and he is happy lying on the floor or couch for hours at a time, as long as we are around. It seems Aussiedoodles have a good blend of these traits.
    Good luck! Dogs can be a tremendous addition to your life, especially if you make them part of the family.
    Everyone I know who has a goldendoodle loves their dog the same way you do. Besides, they are cool-looking.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. My wife is pretty set on starting with a puppy right now (which eliminates Rocker's rescue suggestion) with the idea that down the road we may want to rescue a dog to provide a friend for this one.

My wife is a certified pet lover and my kids are young and energetic. My wife and I both run or walk almost daily. I think all of this will give the dog sufficient exercise and attention, although I'm sure there will still be the occasional day where we have to leave it alone for a good portion of the day. My biggest fear is that there will be too many of those days and the dog will turn destructive. Other than that everything sounds just about ideal.

Crate training your puppy will be of infinite value in terms of providing a quiet getaway, potty training, leaving for a couple of hours, sleeping etc....

As the puppy grows, you'll find you'll use the crate less and less and may eventually put it away altogether, but, as your puppy grows the crate will be one of your best friends.

Personally, I'm a bully nut, with a particular love for Staffies, Frenchies and English Bulldogs.

Dogs with loving owners are awesome. Good luck.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

This is our rescue dog. Supposedly they picked him up 15 minutes before he was to be put down. You can tell he realizes he has a good thing in life now, very obedient and loving. On occasion when my kids have left the gate open he waits quietly by it for us to come home.

When we got him you could tell he had been abused severely. The first day I was taking him for a walk, he got his leash tangled around my foot so I lifted it up to get it untangled. He fell to the ground and peed out of fear that he was going to get kicked again. It took about a year for him to fully trust us even though he was very loving.

The previous owners also apparently abused him with forks or something. If you ever scoop out canned food with a fork and he sees it he'll run and hide under a chair.

But he really is the perfect dog, we didn't realize it (he is our first dog for both of us) until other people were like, "I've never seen such a good dog, he is amazing."

Anyway good luck, I am a converted dog lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    This is our rescue dog. Supposedly they picked him up 15 minutes before he was to be put down. You can tell he realizes he has a good thing in life now, very obedient and loving. On occasion when my kids have left the gate open he waits quietly by it for us to come home.

When we got him you could tell he had been abused severely. The first day I was taking him for a walk, he got his leash tangled around my foot so I lifted it up to get it untangled. He fell to the ground and peed out of fear that he was going to get kicked again. It took about a year for him to fully trust us even though he was very loving.

The previous owners also apparently abused him with forks or something. If you ever scoop out canned food with a fork and he sees it he'll run and hide under a chair.

But he really is the perfect dog, we didn't realize it (he is our first dog for both of us) until other people were like, "I've never seen such a good dog, he is amazing."

Anyway good luck, I am a converted dog lover.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Crate training your puppy will be of infinite value in terms of providing a quiet getaway, potty training, leaving for a couple of hours, sleeping etc....

As the puppy grows, you'll find you'll use the crate less and less and may eventually put it away altogether, but, as your puppy grows the crate will be one of your best friends.

Personally, I'm a bully nut, with a particular love for Staffies, Frenchies and English Bulldogs.

Dogs with loving owners are awesome. Good luck.
    All true.

--Yeats

Adorable dog, Rocker!

I agree with crate training. The thing to remember with puppies is if the puppy has an accident on the carpet it us YOUR fault. You absolutely must take the dog outside every few hours.

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

Man’s Best Friend May Have Been Domesticated Twice

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...vDloTyhcT8W.99

--Yeats

Just bought myself a golden doodle. Half golden retriever and half poodle. Needed a non shedder and I couldn't resist... Cutest pup I've ever seen.

Image1466157059.682701.jpgImage1466157077.299780.jpg

And yes I'm up at 2:51AM taking her outside to pee. And, yes she failed and peed on the doormat instead of the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    And yes I'm up at 2:51AM taking her outside to pee. And, yes she failed and peed on the doormat instead of the grass.
    Congratulations. Don't worry, she will figure it out pretty soon. That is a smart breed.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Good pick. She is adorable. My 94 yr old neighbor liked my Goldendoodle so much he bought one for himself. She invigorates him and gives him a reason to live now that his wife has passed away.

Cute. If you're a good owner, in turn she'll be a good companion. I'm sweet on all dogs regardless of breed, but, am especially attracted to the bullies, in particular the Stafford, Frenchie and English Bulldog. Enjoy!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

Meet Loki the magnificent.

Am I to understand that Millcreek Canyon trails are closed to mountain bikes on odd numbered days, and dogs are allowed to be off-leash for hiking? Did I get that info right?

Any other off leash hiking areas in the Salt Lake area?

Millcreek is the only canyon I know on the east side, the rest are watershed areas and no pets.

There is also the gulley at Tanner Park that is off leash. It is kind of woodsy.

Their Masters' Voices: Dogs Understand Tone And Meaning Of Words

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...ntent=20160830

--Yeats

--Yeats

Sadly, Montreal pushes through pit bull legislation after citizen killed by.......Boxer.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...pit-bull-bylaw

LA Times, Op-ed response.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...nap-story.html

Disclosure: I've owned 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers in my adulthood. Each have loved me and my children.....well, have loved everyone's children. In England, they're known as the "Nanny Dog", a nickname earned because of their love for children. In fact, they're only breed to my knowledge whose AKC standards specifically include their love of children. In our case, they've been the most gentle dogs we've owned (save perhaps, our English Bulldog was was ridiculously gentle & loving). Admittedly, this love does not necessarily extend to other animals, though mine have always lived with at least one other dog. I wouldn't take them to the dog park. They tend to play too rough with most other dogs.
    Last edited by mUUser; 01-19-2017 at 04:35 AM.

sigh, our mini Dachshund started getting ill last night and gradually got worse. My wife and I took her to the vet, who then sent us to the animal hospital.

They put her in the ICU and were crossing our fingers that she makes it through the night and gets better over the next couple of days so she can come home.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sigh, our mini Dachshund started getting ill last night and gradually got worse. My wife and I took her to the vet, who then sent us to the animal hospital.

They put her in the ICU and were crossing our fingers that she makes it through the night and gets better over the next couple of days so she can come home.
    I hope she recovers!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope she recovers!
    She was improving yesterday, but this morning they called to recommend we put her down. She went into cardiac arrest before we got there.

humbling, sad day

RIP

She was improving yesterday, but this morning they called to recommend we put her down. She went into cardiac arrest before we got there.

humbling, sad day

RIP
    Sorry to hear this.

humbling, sad day

RIP
    So sorry, Scorcho. Saying good-bye to a beloved dog is just hard.

--Yeats

humbling, sad day

RIP
    Very sorry. Each dog we lose, I swear I'll never get another. Its just too hard. But, I can't seem to help myself.

Did they give you a diagnosis for her illness?

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Very sorry. Each dog we lose, I swear I'll never get another. Its just too hard. But, I can't seem to help myself.

Did they give you a diagnosis for her illness?
    They were pretty sure it was Cushings disease.

Our other dog seems a little lost, like who am I supposed to hang out with now?

so for Mother's Day I got my wife a trip to the animal hospital and some vet bills, happy Mother's Day, sigh.

thanks for all of the condolences.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 05-15-2017 at 10:00 AM.

This might be from last year, but, I just saw it today. Enjoy!!.......Bulldogs......LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0maaH2gUWa4

--Yeats

--Yeats