Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    My aunt has one and it hates me for no reason (avoids me, barks at me). I can't say I like the breed.
    Have you tried counseling?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

My 2 year old GSD bunny-hopping through the snow about a month ago. Sorry for the iPhone portrait format.

I love that!! Very cute. I have a 9 year old Great Dane mix. He hates cold weather. So, he is getting rather fat because he won't go for walks in this cold weather. Probably weighs 120 pounds. He has never liked the snow. Sometimes I have to force him outside to potty because he hates cold so much.

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter picked up a 2 year old dachshund-beagle mix at the local shelter. Great dog! Perfect manners, healthy, never ever barks, happy, potty trained, and just sweet as can be. He's as happy chasing a ball at the park as he is curled up your lap at home. I can't imagine how anyone gave up such a wonderful animal. BTW, it was found on the streets opposed to being dropped off.

My point here is, before you go buy a doggy, check the shelters. There are some great dogs there that need good homes.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk tank View Post
    Wow, that sucks FM. She had come so far. She was a nervous nelly the first time I saw her but this last time Tick and I were there she was awesome!!! Im bummed about this...
    That's what sucks so much about this. We really thought she was over the hump. I pretty much blame myself on this. I started an out of state project in January where I am only coming home on weekends. A couple of weeks into this is when the fights started back up, after a full year of no problems. I think my absence freaked her out.

There is some possible good news though. I called the humane society today to talk about euthanasia and found out that she might be adoptable after all. I had read online that they don't even try to place dogs with an aggressive past. But she said they sometimes have older couples without kids or other pets who are looking for an older dog so they don't have to raise a puppy. That would be the ideal situation for her. She is a great dog except around other dogs. Well trained, eager to please, your typical lab. I left a message with the right person at the Humane Society so we will see. Thoughts and prayers for her (and my 11 yr. old daughter who is quite distraught) are appreciated.

Also, apparently the 10 day quarantine period after a bite that draws blood is mandatory. So if we took her in this week they couldn't / wouldn't put her down until that time is up anyway. So we are just keeping her separate from the other dog at home for the 10 days and exploring the options.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, my daughter picked up a 2 year old dachshund-beagle mix at the local shelter. Great dog! Perfect manners, healthy, never ever barks, happy, potty trained, and just sweet as can be. He's as happy chasing a ball at the park as he is curled up your lap at home. I can't imagine how anyone gave up such a wonderful animal. BTW, it was found on the streets opposed to being dropped off.

My point here is, before you go buy a doggy, check the shelters. There are some great dogs there that need good homes.
    I couldn't agree more. Always go the rescue route. It is the only way to get a dog IMO.

We got our dog from the Humane Society. He was a puppy.

Our late, great mixed-breed dog simply walked into our yard as a tiny puppy one day. We put up signs around the neighborhood, but nobody called. (I think someone just dropped her off, hoping she'd be adopted.) We had her for 17 years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Meet Zoe. She is eight years old ...

This past September Zoe had quite the adventure. My boys love to take her into the woods and to walk along the creek, literally a stone's throw from our front door. The salmon were spawning. They didn't take kindly to Zoe swimming through their spawning beds:

We took her to the vet. In order to ensure the wounds would drain she required surgery:

A week later with the help of the Scouts we got Zoe some revenge ... This is the fish my son caught. It took him 15 minutes to bring it to the shore where we could net it. He is in the U of U red sweatshirt. His grand mother in Salt Lake tries to make certain all of my boys have some red in their wardrobe. No, that is not me in the picture. The fellow in waders is a fishing expert and the brother of our Scout leader.

Last edited by tooblue; 02-26-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    This past September Zoe had quite the adventure. My boys love to take her into the woods and to walk along the creek, literally a stone's throw from our front door. The salmon were spawning. They didn't take kindly to Zoe swimming through their spawning beds:

We took her to the vet. In order to ensure the wounds would drain she required surgery:

Holy S*!t! I am now terrified of salmon. I thought piranhas were the only fish that could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

Poor girl had to wear the "cone of shame." She looks as unhappy about that as our dog did. Glad she's all better.

--Yeats

The salmon my son caught in my follow up post was one of the smaller ones we caught that day. Many of the fish die during spawning and not only because they are exhausted. They fight and take chunks out of each other. Their bodies rot on the banks. The stench can be awful.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-15-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Wow, FM, that is just too hard to hear. I am very sorry to hear that your little baby girl is too emotionally and psychologically scarred to be able to afford you confidence that she can be completely trusted to control herself. This situation is obviously the fault of the person(s) who abused her as a puppy.

I had to put down Hera my 12 year old female rottweiler last July because of osteosarcoma in her hind left leg. She was so sweet and beautiful. It crushed me to do it and I swore up and down that I would never love another dog. Two months ago I adopted a beautiful little boy.

Vahan (at six weeks) is my five month old puppy.
    furst lola 11022012 032.jpg

(No techie here, and I can't seem to take my facebook pics and display them here. Oh well, both beautiful dogs.)

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Rumor has it that they do not shed...is that correct. I love the long hair.
    Mostly correct. She sheds very very little, but she is a 1st gen labradoodle (dad was a lab, mom a poodle). Multi-gen labradoodles (doodle bred to a doodle)typically do not shed at all. My wife has severe allergies to pet hair and dander. The shedding was one of the deciding factors in getting a Labradoodle for us. The wife has had no issues at all.
    You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it? -Tommy Callahan Jr.

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    That's what sucks so much about this. We really thought she was over the hump. I pretty much blame myself on this. I started an out of state project in January where I am only coming home on weekends. A couple of weeks into this is when the fights started back up, after a full year of no problems. I think my absence freaked her out.

There is some possible good news though. I called the humane society today to talk about euthanasia and found out that she might be adoptable after all. I had read online that they don't even try to place dogs with an aggressive past. But she said they sometimes have older couples without kids or other pets who are looking for an older dog so they don't have to raise a puppy. That would be the ideal situation for her. She is a great dog except around other dogs. Well trained, eager to please, your typical lab. I left a message with the right person at the Humane Society so we will see. Thoughts and prayers for her (and my 11 yr. old daughter who is quite distraught) are appreciated.

Also, apparently the 10 day quarantine period after a bite that draws blood is mandatory. So if we took her in this week they couldn't / wouldn't put her down until that time is up anyway. So we are just keeping her separate from the other dog at home for the 10 days and exploring the options.
    Well it's done. Took her to the Humane Society today. They will do an evaluation to see if she is adoptable. If so, they have a 100% adoption rate. If not ...

That really, really, sucked.

Well it's done. Took her to the Humane Society today. They will do an evaluation to see if she is adoptable. If so, they have a 100% adoption rate. If not ...

Sorry, FM. Hoping for the best.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I feel for ya, FM. I'd hate having to do that. Sorry.

--Yeats

GarthUte posted this on another board, and I liked it so much I decided to post it here.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    GarthUte posted this on another board, and I liked it so much I decided to post it here.

That. Was. Awesome.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

So the family is adjusting, slowly. My youngest daughter (11) was really close to this dog and has taken it the hardest. Yesterday I found her in the living room, holding the dog's collar and sobbing.

And of course the other dog is totally confused. The first day or so she didn't seem to notice. But starting last night she seems to be searching all over the place for her "sister". Last night she barked to go outside and I couldn't get her to come back in ... she was literally going into every nook and cranny in the whole yard. They definitely had a love-hate relationship. Kind of like human sisters I guess. But instead of bitching and griping at each other, a fight to the death was the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Could of swore I'd mentioned that before. We'll have to get together at the dog park when you get to town. Oh, and I keep saying pugs, but it's down to pug. Our sweet lil guy Walter passed a while back, but I still catch myself speaking in plurals from time to time.
    Sorry to hear about Walter- great name. So tough to get over the little guys. We lost our first, Arnold, a few years back.

This is a good one:

--Yeats

Mealtime! (No, this is not my house, but any dog owner recognizes these expressions.)

mealtime.jpg

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Could of swore I'd mentioned that before. We'll have to get together at the dog park when you get to town. Oh, and I keep saying pugs, but it's down to pug. Our sweet lil guy Walter passed a while back, but I still catch myself speaking in plurals from time to time.

Fellow pug owner checking in. Meet Yuki and Kaze. They like sleepovers.

The one on the right looks just like our Chloe when she was younger.

--Yeats

--Yeats

What is it about human babies and dogs that make such a great social combination? Here's another video:

My wife thinks they understand each other. I'm not so sure she isn't correct.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith