Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

Here's our dog just after I gave her a bone and she promptly buried it in the garden, using her (normally pink) nose as kind of a shovel. I had never seen her do that, and thought it was just a myth that dogs do such things.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here's our dog just after I gave her a bone and she promptly buried it in the garden, using her (normally pink) nose as kind of a shovel. I had never seen her do that, and thought it was just a myth that dogs do such things.

Here's a good explanation on dogs hiding bones:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-hide-bones-1692.html
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Here's a good explanation on dogs hiding bones:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-hide-bones-1692.html
    Very interesting. SDUF. Thanks!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

--Yeats

Newest member of the family. Jack Russell Terrier named JR. Awesome dog!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

Newest member of the family. Jack Russell Terrier named JR. Awesome dog!
    Congrats! Everyone I know who has a Jack Russell just loves the dog.

--Yeats

photo 1 (1) (500x380).jpg

Public service announcement: Especially for those in California. Sago Palms are potentially lethal to dogs. The other day, our 7 month old Basset Hound ate some Sago Palm seeds. We called the vet. The response was, "Get her in here immediately!"

Sophie is fine, but only because quick action was taken. The vet pumped her stomach, administered a charcoal treatment and other meds, and kept her overnight for observation. It very likely saved her life. Another dog died earlier the same day from Sago Palm seeds.

Here's a local news story on it from earlier this year:

http://www.10news.com/news/pet-owner...to-pets-050213
    Last edited by San Diego Ute Fan; 08-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.

photo 1 (1) (500x380).jpg

Public service announcement: Especially for those in California. Sago Palms are potentially lethal to dogs. The other day, our 7 month old Basset Hound ate some Sago Palm seeds. We called the vet. The response was, "Get her in here immediately!"

Sophie is fine, but only because quick action was taken. The vet pumped her stomach, administered a charcoal treatment and other meds, and kept her overnight for observation. It very likely saved her life. Another dog died earlier the same day from Sago Palm seeds.

Here's a local news story on it from earlier this year:

http://www.10news.com/news/pet-owner...to-pets-050213
    Wow, SDUF, a close call. Glad it worked out. Here's a bit more on Sago Palms and pets:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/emergen...y-cause-death/

--Yeats

Thanks, LA. Serious stuff, yet most people have never heard of this. We hadn't.

Thanks, LA. Serious stuff, yet most people have never heard of this. We hadn't.
    Nor had I. I'm going to scan my back yard tonight.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    A couple of Staffies and an English Bulldog. I don't trust anyone that doesn't like dogs.
    I have been contemplating a Staffordshire terrier. I met a guy in Tennessee that had 3. I have always wanted a husky, but I'm fairly allergic to dogs, and think I could tolerate a short hair dog like a Staffordshire better.

Are yours English or American? Do you have any pics you can post? I noticed in the insurance thread that you got dropped by Allstate for having them, but everything I have read says they are a gentle breed.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.

IMG_2648.jpg

This is our dog that we got at the last day of school for our kids. He was rescued from a high kill shelter in CA we are told about 15 minutes before execution. He is a super mellow dog and good looking... just like me.

Wasn't sure how I'd be with a dog, as I'd never had one, but he for whatever reason is pretty attached to me, much to the chagrin of my children. When I come home he ditches them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    IMG_2648.jpg

This is our dog that we got at the last day of school for our kids. He was rescued from a high kill shelter in CA we are told about 15 minutes before execution. He is a super mellow dog and good looking... just like me.

Wasn't sure how I'd be with a dog, as I'd never had one, but he for whatever reason is pretty attached to me, much to the chagrin of my children. When I come home he ditches them for me.
    He has figured out that you are the alpha dog. Congratulations.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I have been contemplating a Staffordshire terrier. I met a guy in Tennessee that had 3. I have always wanted a husky, but I'm fairly allergic to dogs, and think I could tolerate a short hair dog like a Staffordshire better.

Are yours English or American? Do you have any pics you can post? I noticed in the insurance thread that you got dropped by Allstate for having them, but everything I have read says they are a gentle breed.
    We had 2 English Staffies and an English Bulldog. I recently put a Staffie down with cancer. They're gentle dogs. Nicknamed the Nanny Dog because of their superb reputation for being patient and gentle with children. Not always friendly with other dogs. Most of the major carriers have a "pit bull" exclusion provision, which includes the pit bull terrier, SBT, AST, American Bulldogs, Bull Terriers,and some include breeds like Rotties, Akitas, German Shepherds, Doberman's, Cane Corso, Preso Canario etc.....
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I learned a lot about Staffies from http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/stafford...ullterrier.htm:

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier does everything full throttle: play, work and love. It is extremely courageous and obedient, affectionate with a sense of humor. One owner of this breed says, "Staffordshire Bull Terriers are very people friendly. They are not particularly wary of strangers in almost all circumstances—although I've heard a few anecdotes about some being wary of particular people. My dogs are always happy to meet new people!" The breed’s reputation with children is second to none. Adored and adoring within its family circle. It is usually good with other pets in the household, but without a stern, human pack leader giving timely corrections when needed, it may be combative with dogs outside the family. Socialize them well. This breed is intelligent, persistent and active. Not a good swimmer. As a puppy these dogs tend to chew a great deal so make sure you provide them with plenty of chew toys. Their powerful jaws will tear though vinyl toys to get to the squeaker in no time. This can be dangerous if the dog swallows the plastic. Be sure to only give your Staffie strong toys. Do not let puppies chew on human hands. Do not allow your dog to be off its leash unless it is safe to do so. They can be trained for agility and competitive obedience. The breed competes in agility and obedience in the UK at the highest level. Staffies love a challenge and variety. Owners need to protect these dogs from injuring themselves. Totally fearless and curious, they're liable to jump off of a deck or walk through broken glass. They can be difficult to housebreak. These dogs are not recommended for most families, because they need every member of their family to be a firm, confident, consistent pack leader, providing rules they must follow and placing limits on what they can and cannot do. Without this, they will become stubborn and hard to handle. The objective in training this dog is to achieve pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in its pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined and rules are set. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success.

--Yeats

--Yeats

Tending the puppies yesterday afternoon.

Tending the puppies yesterday afternoon.
    The Bassett (sp?) is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

--Yeats

The Bassett (sp?) is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, LA. That's our little 7 month old Sophie who had a brush with death a week ago. She's doing well.

Good dog story here:

http://www.viralnova.com/former-owner/

Every dog that’s in a shelter has his or her own back story. They were abandoned or neglected, but sometimes, the reason why isn’t as malicious as you would think. Meet Reggie, the Black Lab. He was stuck in a shelter by himself but was rescued by a kind hearted man. He received Reggie’s toys and a sealed envelope.
    Warning: It will pull at your heart strings.

--Yeats

I love my dog, who is now seven. My eldest was a little girl she picked him out, girl number two was in diapers and number three was a glimmer in my eye. He has watched over all three girls and is such a loyal guy. Our family would not be the same without him

Our youngest was watching Lady and the Tramp and when they put one of the characters in a cage, she burst into tears saying, "please don't let them put our puppy in a cage!"

Our dog used to sit watch next to her crib when she was a baby...

We hope to get another five years from him...he is a small dog but has had health problems. I can't imagine life without him.

This is fun to watch. Those who own working dogs (we have an Australian Shepherd, a breed very similar to the cattle dog) will recognize these antics.

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.

--Yeats

So, I think I mentioned we got a dog this summer. First time for both me and my wife... he has been a great dog. Here is a picture of him Christmas Eve:

dijjit-fully-furred.jpg

So my wife and I had discussed taking him to a groomer for a trim and yesterday she called me and said she had taken him into a new groomer she had found on Yelp and asked me to pick him up. This is what we found:

a-lesser-dog.jpg

Our whole family can't stop laughing every time he wanders into a room.

Needless to say, I had to make sure he was my dog at first. Moral of the story... make sure to check the references of the references. The sad part is I think he knows he looks silly... he's been cowering around ever since.

EDIT: I have no idea why it is turning the pics sideways...
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 01-08-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: scratch made me do it

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So, I think I mentioned we got a dog this summer. First time for both me and my wife... he has been a great dog. Here is a picture of him Christmas Eve:

So my wife and I had discussed taking him to a groomer for a trim and yesterday she called me and said she had taken him into a new groomer she had found on Yelp and asked me to pick him up. This is what we found:

Our whole family can't stop laughing every time he wanders into a room.

Needless to say, I had to make sure he was my dog at first. Moral of the story... make sure to check the references of the references. The sad part is I think he knows he looks silly... he's been cowering around ever since.

EDIT: I have no idea why it is turning the pics sideways...
    That's a good summer haircut. January in Utah? I'm not so sure....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-08-2014 at 12:48 PM.

--Yeats

That's a good summer haircut. January in Utah? I'm not so sure....
    Reminds me of this:

savetheday.jpg

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

--Yeats

Banned
    My friend offered me a new puppy... The Stud kinda resembles these guys (except for the color), UH.... think I'll pass this time.

These dogs look like they would require more attention than I have time for right now. Damn, do dogs do steroids?

Last edited by Devildog; 02-17-2014 at 02:45 PM.

--Yeats