Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

The community church in Bountiful has a sign that has inspiring messages that they put up. The latest is:

"God helps you become the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

These are pretty funny:

"If Dogs Could Text"

http://chicksontheright.com/posts/it...xt?limitstart=

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Getting a little summer training in.

"Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

--Yeats

Lost my old boy last week. Literally. I had him scheduled to be put down later that day. I put him out with the other 2 dogs, as I'd done thousands of times before, and when I went to retrieve him a couple of minutes later he was gone. I searched for a couple of hours and then realized he might be on one of our security cameras. Turns out he limped into the woods never to be seen again. We've probably spent 20 man hours searching those woods to no avail. Given his condition, there's no way he could've gone far, unless he miraculously made his way through all the underbrush to the deep ravine, except I walked that ravine several times. I think God just reached out his hand and plucked him up to return home.

Man, I loved that dog. RIP my friend.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Lost my old boy last week. Literally. I had him scheduled to be put down later that day. I put him out with the other 2 dogs, as I'd done thousands of times before, and when I went to retrieve him a couple of minutes later he was gone. I searched for a couple of hours and then realized he might be on one of our security cameras. Turns out he limped into the woods never to be seen again. We've probably spent 20 man hours searching those woods to no avail. Given his condition, there's no way he could've gone far, unless he miraculously made his way through all the underbrush to the deep ravine, except I walked that ravine several times. I think God just reached out his hand and plucked him up to return home.

Man, I loved that dog. RIP my friend.
    He knew it was time. Sorry, mUUSer. It's tough to see them go.

--Yeats

We have a new puppy, a mini Australian Shepherd. We wondered how our current full-size Aussie would aceept her. So far, so good:

image.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.

--Yeats

Background on the latest addition to our menagerie:

http://dogs.petbreeds.com/l/1092/Miniature-Australian-Shepherd

--Yeats

This is pretty good. Dog lovers will understand.

On Losing a Dog

--Yeats

We almost lost our dog last week. I heard him crying outside, and ran out to find a raccoon biting him. I separated them, he ran inside, and I tried to break a patio chair over the raccoon (I failed).

$600 vet bill, and we got lucky. He had a number of bites on his leg, one deep bite on his neck, and he was forced to wear a Cone of Shame this week.

Everybody hug your dog tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We almost lost our dog last week. I heard him crying outside, and ran out to find a raccoon biting him. I separated them, he ran inside, and I tried to break a patio chair over the raccoon (I failed).

$600 vet bill, and we got lucky. He had a number of bites on his leg, one deep bite on his neck, and he was forced to wear a Cone of Shame this week.

Everybody hug your dog tonight.
    Wow. We have lots of raccoons around us. Supposedly, they aren't aggressive unless cornered or protecting their young. I guess that's not necessarily so! I'm sure your dog had rabies shots so you're probably OK.

--Yeats

My dog has his shots, but if the bite on his neck was any deeper it would have been all over for him.

We caught the raccoon today and I think she was pregnant (she wasn't lactating, so no babies to worry about). Caught her just in time. She was living under our deck. Pregnant raccoons are solitary, so she was probably alone under there. That probably also explains her aggression.

my daughter is moving out this summer on her own. To be brutally honest, I think I will miss her dog more. The dog is good for my health, my daughter is not.

The dog wakes me up early to go outside, my daughter wakes me up early cause she's just getting home.

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wow. We have lots of raccoons around us. Supposedly, they aren't aggressive unless cornered or protecting their young. I guess that's not necessarily so! I'm sure your dog had rabies shots so you're probably OK.
    Salt Lake has thousands of raccoons living in the storm drains. We see them all night. They're not usually aggressive but certainly can be if cornered

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Salt Lake has thousands of raccoons living in the storm drains. We see them all night. They're not usually aggressive but certainly can be if cornered
    Wow. In all my years growing up there and going to school there, I never saw a raccoon that I can recall. Occasional skunks. That was about it. A few years before she died, my mom did have one living in her chimney. That was interesting.

--Yeats

Wow. In all my years growing up there and going to school there, I never saw a raccoon that I can recall. Occasional skunks. That was about it. A few years before she died, my mom did have one living in her chimney. That was interesting.
    Yeah they're everywhere

There are deer living all over the valley too. (And lots of skunks)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yeah they're everywhere

There are deer living all over the valley too. (And lots of skunks)
    On my visits there in the last 10 years or so I have seen a lot of deer. That's also something I didn't see when I grew up there. (But I was oblivious to a lot of things back then.) At Christmas time I saw deer hoofprints in the snow on South Temple and in Reservoir Park. Also saw deer just hanging out in the SLC Cemetery.

--Yeats

Occasional skunks.
    If you want to see more skunks, try an early morning paper route in winter. I'd run into at least one a week.

For more deer, get a job as a groundskeeper at the cemetery.

I was in there middle of my least favorite thing in the entire world, slithering around in my crawlspace, when I made a somewhat gruesome discovery. I was crawling to the farthest corner of the crawlspace when I noticed one on my dog's tennis balls under the house. A few feet farther, and I now knew why the raccoon was so aggressive to my dog.

I was shocked to find two dead raccoon kits under my house. The mom apparently pulled the vent screen off the side of the house under the deck, and was able to live quite comfortably under my house. They pulled down insulation to make nests and basically made a real mess of things. I could see where they set up their 'bathroom'and there were still puddles of pee on the visquine. I noticed they had also relieved all of the rat traps of their bait.

These little dudes were cute and I felt a little bad for them, as their Mom disappeared over a week ago (we trapped her), but I am glad they were dead. The last thing I wanted to encounter in a crawlspace is a terrified, cornered raccoon. I doubt it would have been able to move around enough to protect myself against them and would have been bitten.

I packaged up the two kits with a bunch of the messed up insulation, double bagged everything, and put it in the garbage. I didn't have the heart to tell my family about the kits. I did show them to the dog, and he had a look that said, "That's right, MF-ers!", then he went in to something different (flopping on the sofa).

On a positive note, there dog no longer spent all night scratching at the heat vents trying to get under the house.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-31-2016 at 09:27 AM.

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

While attending Utah State, I had a friend who managed the Hardware Ranch. Part of their set up was a pet raccoon. Totally tame and docile. Until one day it got trapped in the breezeway, separated from some drinking water for some time (less than 24 hours). When my buddy made the discovery, he reached down to carry the animal into the house to get it some water, the critter went to town on the kid's fore arms. Nasty little animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 05-31-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Raccoons cannot be domesticated, and cannot be trained. As long as you keep them feed and happy they can be kept as pets, but they must always be seen as wild animals.

My Teacher's Quorum advisor growing up had a number of strange pets. I remember asking him about raccoons, and he replied that skunks make far better pets.

He only had a ferret when I knew him. What a freaky cool animal that was. It was half snake, half cat, and was super friendly and loving.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Raccoons cannot be domesticated, and cannot be trained. As long as you keep them feed and happy they can be kept as pets, but they must always be seen as wild animals.

My Teacher's Quorum advisor growing up had a number of strange pets. I remember asking him about raccoons, and he replied that skunks make far better pets.

He only had a ferret when I knew him. What a freaky cool animal that was. It was half snake, half cat, and was super friendly and loving.
    I've read that actually domesticating a wild animal has to be done over several generations, by breeding out the "wildness." So a raccoon or fox or what have you can be "tamed," meaning it won't be afraid of people and generally won't be aggressive, but it won't be domesticated. So the fox will steal steal eggs, kill and eat chickens, steal food, etc. I.e., it'll still be a fox. Raccoons will still be crafty, nocturnal tree-climbers and thieves, and when cornered or upset will come after you. (Just ask anyone whose dog has cornered one of the little varmints.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-31-2016 at 03:22 PM.

--Yeats

The UB5 Dog Lover Thread

I've read that actually domesticating a wild animal has to be done over several generations, by breeding out the "wildness."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFGNQScRNY

There was a great experiment So a raccoon or fox or what have you can be "tamed," meaning it won't be afraid of people and generally won't be aggressive, but it won't be domesticated. So the fox will steal steal eggs, kill and eat chickens, steal food, etc. I.e., it'll still be a fox. Raccoons will still be crafty, nocturnal tree-climbers and thieves, and when cornered or upset will come after you. (Just ask anyone whose dog has cornered one of the little varmints.)
    There you go quoting The Little Prince again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with Aussiedoodles? We are shopping for a family dog. My wife is pretty set on this and it sounds mostly good to me. In reading up on them I keep reading that they need a lot of attention and exercise. I'm a little worried about whether it will resort to destructive tendencies any day that we aren't able to sufficiently meet its needs.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Aussiedoodles? We are shopping for a family dog. My wife is pretty set on this and it sounds mostly good to me. In reading up on them I keep reading that they need a lot of attention and exercise. I'm a little worried about whether it will resort to destructive tendencies any day that we aren't able to sufficiently meet its needs.
    Do what we did... buy a dog rescued from a high kill rate shelter based off the recommendation of the rescuer who says, "I have a really nice dog, do you want it?" He is a mutt, he is kind of cute and kind of ugly all at the same time and the world's best dog. Smart, charming, loving, good with kids, doesn't really shed and never runs away or causes problems because of energy or anxiety. We have friends and neighbors who will ask if they can borrow him for a day just because he is that cool, and no I'm not kidding (he has a date this weekend with a family).

One concern, I think he is an atheist. He never closes his eyes or sits still during family prayers, refuses to go to church and is condescending at parties.

Other than that he is good though. Maybe try that.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I have never heard of that mix but I recommend you go in well-informed. We have two Aussies (Australian Shepherds). They are terrific dogs. Very smart, loyal, sweet-natured, love to be with us and go with us. We really enjoy them. What you need to know is that they are working dogs and need something to do and lots of exercise. I run with mine every day (except Sunday) for at least 45 minutes and that seems to do the trick. They love games (throwing the ball,playing "tug," etc.). They are athletic and can catch about anything (chasing Frisbees, for example.) They are not a dog you can leave home alone all day. They need company. When our older dog was a puppy if we left her in the back yard alone and left the house for a couple of hours, she destroyed stuff. She did quickly outgrow that and it hasn't been a problem for years; the younger one never had that problem. Now, when you add a poodle to that gene pool I don't know what happens. I know poodles are very smart.

To get the terrific dogs we have, we had to train them not to bark once we tell them to stop (they are shepherds and have a guardian instinct -- so they'll warn you about perceived intruders, and will bark loudly at people passing your yard if they are outside, but they won't attack. To them, you are their "sheep" and they need to herd you and warn the shepherd of danger. (They will try to herd little kids, which is fun to watch.) They are so smart that they are easy to train and can do incredible things. They're strong-willed but eager to please. Once they "get" something they really get it. We love our two Aussies.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-02-2016 at 06:20 PM.

--Yeats

We have a Dood. He is awesome. Sweet, smart, doesn't shed, loves kids, and is very easy to train.

But he barks at everything that walks past the house, and carries shoes outside and drops them (he brings us 'gifts' when we get home).

Doods are great. But the Australian Doodle scam is real and is abundant. We have friends who paid $3500 each for two of them. 'But they are trying to get the breed listed as an AKC registered breed!' they say. Whatever makes you happy at night.

Take Rocker's advice and get a shelter dog with a sweet Dr disposition and you will be fine.

If you want to spend a lot of money on an AKC breed get a Portuguese Water Dog. They are amazing, and are very similar to the breed the Aussie Doodle creators were shooting for (a re-imagination of the English Rough Water Dog, which no longer exists).

Also our Dood is home alone all day and he does great.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. My wife is pretty set on starting with a puppy right now (which eliminates Rocker's rescue suggestion) with the idea that down the road we may want to rescue a dog to provide a friend for this one.

My wife is a certified pet lover and my kids are young and energetic. My wife and I both run or walk almost daily. I think all of this will give the dog sufficient exercise and attention, although I'm sure there will still be the occasional day where we have to leave it alone for a good portion of the day. My biggest fear is that there will be too many of those days and the dog will turn destructive. Other than that everything sounds just about ideal.