Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Der Jakob Poeltl Thread

Hybrid View

Poeltl forced into playing and is not disappointing.

http://m.ottawasun.com/2016/11/05/ra...ad-of-schedule

Does anyone here still think that Poetl made the right decision? I was vilified as living comfortably and insensitive to the plight of this poor impoverished college kid. It was BS. Poetl has been a huge embarrassment. 2.1 ppg; he hasn't really even made the Raptors team. He's spent much of the season in the NBA minor leagues. What if he'd have stayed another year and now Pac 12 MVP, the Utes Pac 12 champs and contending for a top seed? Kodiak has his weaknesses, but one of them isn't training big men.

Nowadays it's all about money; actually, money quicker. But often it's just stunting, even if you're over 7 feet.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Does anyone here still think that Poetl made the right decision? I was vilified as living comfortably and insensitive to the plight of this poor impoverished college kid. It was BS. Poetl has been a huge embarrassment. 2.1 ppg; he hasn't really even made the Raptors team. He's spent much of the season in the NBA minor leagues. What if he'd have stayed another year and now Pac 12 MVP, the Utes Pac 12 champs and contending for a top seed? Kodiak has his weaknesses, but one of them isn't training big men.

Nowadays it's all about money; actually, money quicker. But often it's just stunting, even if you're over 7 feet.
    As I've said before here (to much derision) the NBA has ruined college basketball. Well, not ruined, but severely damaged it or at least changed the experience fundamentally. Dan Patrick is a huge critic of this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    As I've said before here (to much derision) the NBA has ruined college basketball. Well, not ruined, but severely damaged it or at least changed the experience fundamentally. Dan Patrick is a huge critic of this.
    Yeah, it's nutty. We're all hoping for an Akot tomorrow, but if he's as good as we want him to be, we only get him for a year. I have no idea what duke will look like from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think it's ruined it at all. The NC game last season was emblematic--possibly the greatest college game ever, and the winning team didn't have any one and dones, or maybe any NBA players. Fine, let the market rule. That's what I say about almost anything. I wish they wouldn't force players to play at least one year. The problem isn't the NBA. The problem is the shitty values that made it a purported no brainer for Poetl to leave. Nobody cares about anything but money now now now. It didn't hurt Tim Duncan, Tom Chambers, Jabber, Jordan, a whole bunch of players to play 3-4 years, and most of these one or two and dones including Poetl will never be worthy to be their vales. A lot of great NBA players over the years needed that full time in college to fully develop, including, for example, Andre Miller, Chambers, Van Horn.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It's too bad. Poetl could have been a special player.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo