Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beer, spirits, and wine thread

The beer, spirits, and wine thread

With this site being the Elder's Quorum and all, perhaps I will get no traction with this thread (although I expect Diehard to post at least once).

I've been impressed with the growing craft beer scene in Utah. We also have a distillery, High West, that is getting recognition across the country (although to be fair they are mostly a blender and don't do a lot of their own distilling).

I think there is a good 5+ breweries set to open in Utah this year. Even Utah county is getting in the game with 2 breweries trying to open.

Saturday Proper Brewing Co opens and I'm really excited to give them a try.

I'll be making a trip downtown to pick up a few. I also think there packaging is sharp and they have some clever plays on the local culture in them. Recommend Rye and Lake Effect. Wasatch has tried this and I think has ultimately failed in their efforts to be clever.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01...o-preview.html

I do think the market will become over saturated and some of these will fail, but it is an exciting time for sure for beer lovers in Utah. Distribution into the state sucks, so people are fixing that problem by making great beer here.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    With this site being the Elder's Quorum and all, perhaps I will get no traction with this thread (although I expect Diehard to post at least once).

I've been impressed with the growing craft beer scene in Utah. We also have a distillery, High West, that is getting recognition across the country (although to be fair they are mostly a blender and don't do a lot of their own distilling).

I think there is a good 5+ breweries set to open in Utah this year. Even Utah county is getting in the game with 2 breweries trying to open.

Saturday Proper Brewing Co opens and I'm really excited to give them a try.

I'll be making a trip downtown to pick up a few. I also think there packaging is sharp and they have some clever plays on the local culture in them. Recommend Rye and Lake Effect. Wasatch has tried this and I think has ultimately failed in their efforts to be clever.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01...o-preview.html

I do think the market will become over saturated and some of these will fail, but it is an exciting time for sure for beer lovers in Utah. Distribution into the state sucks, so people are fixing that problem by making great beer here.
    Utah has always had great breweries and that's definitely expanding.

My buddy who owns a brewery in Vegas said Utah brewers are some of the best in the world as they can't just use high alcohol levels to hide their flaws.

Proper should be good with them being an expansion of an already existing business.

Squatters and Desert Edge have some good local named stuff.

As for distilleries I've liked Sugarhouse's vodka. Curious to see what they do as they age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday
    Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.
    --fjm.com

Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.
    That's thanks to The Annex

They wanted beers on tap there and thanks to the idiotic no high alcohol beer on tap law they came up with session stuff.

The Sour was first debuted in the restaurant. I happened to be there the first day. They still have it on tap as well.

(Their Milk Stout is awesome too!)

Uinta has been producing different types of Cutthroat recently. Today I found this one with orange peel and cayenne pepper. I'll try it tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Uinta has been producing different types of Cutthroat recently. Today I found this one with orange peel and cayenne pepper. I'll try it tonight

Where did you find that one? It is one I would love to try.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com

The beer, spirits, and wine thread

Where did you find that one? It is one I would love to try.

Smith's at 2000 E and 9400 S. They've got a good beer selection.

It was pretty good, although it's was mostly just the heat from the cayenne, the orange was pretty subdued.

I was able to get a Fifth Element today. I look forward to trying it.

--fjm.com

Thank goodness!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Return and report the labors of your Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Return and report the labors of your Saturday.
    Yes today was a beer gathering labor. Picked up some Proper Brewing and the Fifth Element. I'm not sure what I'm drink tonight.

--fjm.com

Lake Effect is fantastic. Sour and salty. The packaging is also the best of any of the local brews. Simple, clean, and also has nice info on it.

I'm a fan and will be back. Next time I think I'll get a growler of this one.

--fjm.com

Who makes the Lake Effect? Was that Saturday Proper? I will try to find it at BevMo.

Many of the local breweries in WA and OR seen to have a major addiction to hops (perhaps because most of the hops are grown in WA), that it seems everything they make is IPA--ish. Some are actually quite interesting (e.g. Space Dust by Elysian). But a change of pace is welcome.

A very good local is Ridgetop Red Ale by Silver Ridge brewery. Try it if you can find it.

My go-to amber ale is probably Fat Tire by New Belgium (out of Fort Collins, CO). Great taste, widely available, very refreshing.

Who makes the Lake Effect? Was that Saturday Proper? I will try to find it at BevMo.

Many of the local breweries in WA and OR seen to have a major addiction to hops (perhaps because most of the hops are grown in WA), that it seems everything they make is IPA--ish. Some are actually quite interesting (e.g. Space Dust by Elysian). But a change of pace is welcome.

A very good local is Ridgetop Red Ale by Silver Ridge brewery. Try it if you can find it.

My go-to amber ale is probably Fat Tire by New Belgium (out of Fort Collins, CO). Great taste, widely available, very refreshing.
    Don't bother looking for it at BevMo. It is made by Proper Brewing. They opened yesterday and have no distribution yet. It isn't even in grocery or liquor stores yet in Utah.

Uinta makes a couple of really nice sours. Look for Flamingose or Ready Set Gose. They distribute pretty wide and may be in Washington.

--fjm.com

I just saw a few Uinta products in Safeway. I will need try some Proper products next time I go to slc.

It always surprises me the worship for Fat Tire. It's good, but I think there are so many better beers out there.

If you ever see Epic's Sage Saison snatch it up. It's awesome.

Fat Tire is good in the way In n' Out burgers are good: It is the best of the fast-food options. It is cheap, easy to find, refreshing enough for the purpose. And the flavors are well balanced.

That being said, this week is Guinness week in honor of St Patrick's Day.

Fat Tire is good in the way In n' Out burgers are good: It is the best of the fast-food options. It is cheap, easy to find, refreshing enough for the purpose. And the flavors are well balanced.

That being said, this week is Guinness week in honor of St Patrick's Day.
    I'll take a Cutthroat

Since it's the middle of my work week there is no beer sadly. Just coffee

Great suggestions. I will try those. Thanks.

The new Cutthroat + is thoroughly meh. I'll take a regular Cutthroat over it.
    --fjm.com

The new Cutthroat + is thoroughly meh. I'll take a regular Cutthroat over it.
    The first one I had was good, it was a spiced beer. I liked it a lot more than the orange cayenne one.

Squatters Fifth Element = amazing. I see why this stuff sells out so quickly. I'm just glad I have 2 more bottles in my fridge.
    --fjm.com

High West makes some of the best rye and bourbon whisky in the world--based in Park City.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    High West makes some of the best rye and bourbon whisky in the world--based in Park City.
    Well they blend some of the best. They don't actually distill any of it

They distill a small part of it But they get the rye (>90% of the blend) from LDI. The base is essentially Bulleit rye.

But High West consistently scores high on rankings, so they are obviously doing something right.

I am not be necessarily a big cabernet fan except for certain pairings, and I would typically prefer a Malbec from Argentina or a blend if I go to a straight red.

That said, I have a few bottles of Columbia Crest Reserve cabernet I am saving for a special occasion. This particular cab has the distinction of being voted #1 in the world a few years ago (iirc 2012).

We have a nice wine industry here in Washington due to our climate and volcanic soil, and Washington State University has a strong viticulture program. We aren't Central California by any means but we are respectable.

Washington also produces the vast majority of hops grown in the country (around 90%), so T
    that might explain why local microbrews seem to be all about the IPA and other hop-intensive brews.

They distill a small part of it But they get the rye (>90% of the blend) from LDI. The base is essentially Bulleit rye.

But High West consistently scores high on rankings, so they are obviously doing something right.
    Still isn't really a distillery. For quite a while High West tried to keep the blending thing quiet, but they're much more open about it now.

Now most whiskey centric places are like they for the first 12-15 years because of the aging required, although there are distilleries who get stellar reviews for short aged stuff even while waiting for their 12 year.

Last time I was there 5 yrs ago I thought i saw a small still. I could have it confused with another place.

I agree there is a bit of cogniti e dissonance involved when a company who has been in business for 5 years is suddenly hawking an award-winning 12 yr old Rye or the 16 or 21 yr old Rocky Mountain. At least they now have the origin listed (LDI and Barton, along with some Scottish producers).

Of course this doesn't mean that it is low quality in any way. It is actually supposed to be very good.