Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The standard examiner had an article on it and said that he had an offer from san diego and a walk on offer at utah state before weber stepped in and offered him a scholarship. I know he didn't live up to the expectations up on the hill, but I sure thought his market would have been bigger than that!
    He made it clear he wanted to stay closer to home. Don't know what his marker really was outside of Weber.

Additionally, you're at a P5 school, you get meaningful minutes and have a chance to get more with graduation clearing the way. If I'm a coach and I dig no deeper, I'm thinking Brekkot ain't worth the time -- there has to be a screw loose somewhere for him not to like the situation he's in.

Former commit Harold Baruti signs withWashington.

At least we can brag that getting into Utah is harder than getting into Washington. (Isn't that how it works?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The story on this guy still makes no sense. Let's hope he's terrible.

What a cluster. I am expecting a big drop off from Utah basketball this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    What a cluster. I am expecting a big drop off from Utah basketball this coming year.
    Me too. Upper bottom half of the conference at best.
    Last edited by concerned; 06-27-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Not sure which emotion I'm supposed to feel here.

It's gone. What did it say?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It's gone. What did it say?
    It was just a video clip of Kuzma schooling Devon Daniels at 1 on 1.

And the tweet text was something along the lines of "respect your elders yo"

Freshman guard Kobe Paras withdraws from UCLA

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/l...nap-story.html

I wonder if we want another 6'6" guard? Would a kid from the Philippines want to be in snowy Salt Lake?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

These are always fun to read:

10 Unknown Players Who Will Be Household Names by March Madness

Jayce Johnson is on the list.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Freshman guard Kobe Paras withdraws from UCLA

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/l...nap-story.html

I wonder if we want another 6'6" guard? Would a kid from the Philippines want to be in snowy Salt Lake?
    Without knowing anything else, wouldnt we run into the same international student problems that we ran into with Baruti?

Still, itd be cool!

Without knowing anything else, wouldnt we run into the same international student problems that we ran into with Baruti?

Still, itd be cool!
    Looks like he's been in high school in CA for a few years so maybe not a problem?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Looks like he's been in high school in CA for a few years so maybe not a problem?
    Ahhh Great point! Make it happen, staff!

Utahutes.com has undergone a makeover, and with it they have included an "updated" 2016-2017 roster. I use the term updated because as of now, none of the new freshman, collette, or van dyke are included. All other new recruits are. It is somewhat noteworthy that Kenneth Ogbe is included on the 2016-2017 roster. Could it be just simply a rollover from last year? Probably. But, Id say that is at least a somewhat positive sign.

Got the offseason blues? Try this quiz (from the addictive Sporcle):

http://www.sporcle.com/games/dead315...n-utes-leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Fun game. 52/60. Would've gone better had a remembered Pace Mannion and Gale Gondrezick. Can't believe I didn't even try Bogut -- but once I got the top 10 in scoring and rebounding complete, it was easy to forget he was a good shotblocker. I have no idea who Scott Martin is, and for someone third all-time single-season in assists, that's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Fun game. 52/60. Would've gone better had a remembered Pace Mannion and Gale Gondrezick. Can't believe I didn't even try Bogut -- but once I got the top 10 in scoring and rebounding complete, it was easy to forget he was a good shotblocker. I have no idea who Scott Martin is, and for someone third all-time single-season in assists, that's not good.
    A bit before your time. Scott was a very effective point guard during the Pimm era when I was in school. He played with Vranes and Chambers. Little-known fact: His dad was a devoted fan and found a way to attend every one of Scott's games as a Ute.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Not too shabby, I got 53 SPOILER ALERT: (I am giving myself a point for typing in Johnnie Bryant and the quiz not recognizing it, spelling it instead "Jonnie").

Not too shabby, I got 53 SPOILER ALERT: (I am giving myself a point for typing in Johnnie Bryant and the quiz not recognizing it, spelling it instead "Jonnie").
    I was terrible...spelling impacted a few, but not too many. I liked the assist by the computer when I typed in Dakari Tucker and it came out as Mark Rydich.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I was terrible...spelling impacted a few, but not too many. I liked the assist by the computer when I typed in Dakari Tucker and it came out as Mark Rydich.
    I learned about half way through that you only had to type the last name. Unfortunately, that didn't help me from wasting a minute trying to type in "Gondrezick" a dozen different ways.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I hope this guy is right!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I hope this guy is right!

Saw good things tweeted about him yesterday too. Said he was one of 3 standouts on the day

Phil Cullen leaving as Director of Basketball Operations for a job with the Spurs.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Phil Cullen leaving as Director of Basketball Operations for a job with the Spurs.
    Good for Phil.

--Yeats

BB pairings announced by Pac 12;

Utes open with Colo at home
    Utes get UCLA/USC (week 3) only at home & Az & Az St (week 2) only on the road.

Ore twice. (ouch).

Larry looks forward: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4173579...ges?fullpage=1

Nothing earth shattering, though interesting to read how involved Phil Cullen was with the construction of the new facility.

Nice video about Barefield. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDgUM4k1Wk