Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Tim Coleman signs

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I disagree. Schools should be able to restrict a player from transferring to any school on a future schedule. We just spent a ton of time and money teaching Chapman how to play basketball. We shouldn't have to play against him.

I think this should be an NCAA rule, so coaches wouldn't have to get blasted by the self-righteous media for putting completely reasonable restrictions on a transfer.
    This is hypocritically hollow unless you're willing to apply the same to coaches. I'm betting no one here wanted to tell Gary Anderson he couldn't go to Utah State, or Kalani Sitake to Oregon State.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I didn't want to criticize BK, but you've said what I was thinking. Larry was unhappy with Brekkott even prior to the young man enrolling in school because of his reluctance to hit the weights. SoCal, my post was simply supporting the idea that the baby was a factor in Brekott's decision. I'm not defending or attacking LK over this. I don't have enough information to do either, and neither do you.
    BK is fair criticism. I think his suspension in his senior year said something about his dedication and discipline. At the same time, like has been said, we get so few ESPN 100 players in the program that it's a bad look for Larry when they don't pan out. Sure, we've struck gold elsewhere, but every coach will tell you recruiting is the lifeblood of any hoops program. It stings more than a bit that this one didn't work out, but by no means is Larry's goodwill tank being drained or in short supply because of it. He does share some blame in BK's development, or lack thereof. BK shoulders more, ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    BK is fair criticism. I think his suspension in his senior year said something about his dedication and discipline. At the same time, like has been said, we get so few ESPN 100 players in the program that it's a bad look for Larry when they don't pan out. Sure, we've struck gold elsewhere, but every coach will tell you recruiting is the lifeblood of any hoops program. It stings more than a bit that this one didn't work out, but by no means is Larry's goodwill tank being drained or in short supply because of it. He does share some blame in BK's development, or lack thereof. BK shoulders more, ultimately.
    Yeah, I remember how excited I was (and everyone was) when Brekkott chose the U. When we hire people at my firm with glowing resumes and obvious talent, sometimes they don't work out. I always consider that a failure on both the firm's and the individual's part. Same thing with Brekkott and Larry.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Watching former two-star recruits Stephan Curry and Damian Lillard in the NBA playoffs gives me hope for the Utes notwithstanding the steep recruiting disadvantages.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Remember Ashante Johnson? He transferred from Utah and ended up at Kansas where he played sparingly for the rest of his college career. He are some of his comments several years after finishing college:

"Johnson speaks of those years less with bitterness than with regret, saying, for example, that he wishes he'd stayed at Utah. At the time, being a Ute reserve seemed a less certain ticket to the next level than putting up showy stats at a junior college. He now believes Coach Majerus' knack for developing pro*caliber talent would have made him a more complete player earlier in his career, *better on defense, more of a team player. (He also missed out on the Utes' run to the NCAA final the season after he left. Watching the game on TV, he says with a rueful smile, "I was sick to my stomach.")

I really hope Brekkott doesn't end up with these same regrets. He had a golden opportunity staring right at him. Correct me if I am wrong but with JLove graduating, the 3 spot is wide open for the taking. With some hard work and dedication, he could have been a perfect fit there.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Remember Ashante Johnson? He transferred from Utah and ended up at Kansas where he played sparingly for the rest of his college career. He are some of his comments several years after finishing college:

"Johnson speaks of those years less with bitterness than with regret, saying, for example, that he wishes he'd stayed at Utah. At the time, being a Ute reserve seemed a less certain ticket to the next level than putting up showy stats at a junior college. He now believes Coach Majerus' knack for developing pro*caliber talent would have made him a more complete player earlier in his career, *better on defense, more of a team player. (He also missed out on the Utes' run to the NCAA final the season after he left. Watching the game on TV, he says with a rueful smile, "I was sick to my stomach.")

I really hope Brekkott doesn't end up with these same regrets. He had a golden opportunity staring right at him. Correct me if I am wrong but with JLove graduating, the 3 spot is wide open for the taking. With some hard work and dedication, he could have been a perfect fit there.
    That's exactly who I thought of as a rebuttal to SU's claims that Majerus never lost a recruit of consequence. But yeah, he never really did much at Kansas -- although he appeared to have a nice career in Europe. Can you provide a link to the story you lifted the quote from?

I'm hearing from a co-worker who is a Xavier alum that Utah is working on a H&H with the Musketeers starting next year. FWIW. Guess we'll see. But that would be a fun matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I'm hearing from a co-worker who is a Xavier alum that Utah is working on a H&H with the Musketeers starting next year. FWIW. Guess we'll see. But that would be a fun matchup.
    This would be fantastic, especially if we get them here first. They'll start the year as a top-10 team, maybe even top-5.

I was just reading through some of the announced changes by the PAC-12 conference. Schools are now going to be fined for instances of rushing the field or storming the court. How do you guys feel about this? Seems like something needed to be done about it. Not sure how schools will implement this though.

I was just reading through some of the announced changes by the PAC-12 conference. Schools are now going to be fined for instances of rushing the field or storming the court. How do you guys feel about this? Seems like something needed to be done about it. Not sure how schools will implement this though.
    I think you just make it clear that storming the field/court is verboten, and you spend some money on law enforcement people to ring the field or court at the end of games.

I wonder what the definition of "storming" is? I went out on the RES field and wandered around after the USC game (and BYU 2008), celebrating, taking photos, chatting with people. Was I storming the field? I pretty much took my time getting out there with my wife and kids. If "storming" covers that, I'll be sad.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Hopefully they are talking about storming the fields during the game, and not walking on the field after the game.

Yeah! Congrats on making college sports less fun, Pac-12!

It looks like Mawien is headed to New Mexico Junior College.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It looks like Mawien is headed to New Mexico Junior College.

Hopefully he gets all the playing time he needs to develop.

With that, Brekkott is the only transfer who has yet to sign. More relevant to us, we are just waiting for official word on ogbe and we'll have our roster set,

Ugh. Both Brooks and Dorsey have withdrawn from the draft and will return to Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Ugh. Both Brooks and Dorsey have withdrawn from the draft and will return to Oregon.
    WHA?! Someone email Peoltl and tell him that his stock is tanking.

Xavier on the schedule, with the home game coming in 2017-18 season.

Gutty move by Larry in scheduling and I like it. Not the kind of game coaches like to schedule with the production Utah has lost this year, but the kind of game you need to have with this kind of team. This is a near-certain loss, and one that could be ugly. Xavier is loaded and should be a preseason top 10 team.

Gutty move by Larry in scheduling and I like it. Not the kind of game coaches like to schedule with the production Utah has lost this year, but the kind of game you need to have with this kind of team. This is a near-certain loss, and one that could be ugly. Xavier is loaded and should be a preseason top 10 team.
    Yep. Next year is a rebuilding year anyway, so the loss doesn't matter that much, with the opportunity for a preseason win the following year when it could mean something.
    Last edited by concerned; 05-26-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Doesn't sound very safe. (How many times is this joke going to be made?)

Replacement for the BYU game (same date as the game in Provo). Larry said they were working on getting a quality replacement, that they did.

And now a home and home with Butler. Butler comes to the JMHC November 28th, at Butler in 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And now a home and home with Butler. Butler comes to the JMHC November 28th, at Butler in 17-18

They were talking with Marquette a while back as well. I wonder if that will materialize.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Here's the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3936545-1...utes-butler-to

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    They were talking with Marquette a while back as well. I wonder if that will materialize.
    No, the Marquette series fell through.

BYU back on the schedule............but not until next year plus more about our non conference schedule.........

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-bas...052616aab.html

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    BYU back on the schedule............but not until next year plus more about our non conference schedule.........

Maybe Nick Emery will have grown up by then.

--Yeats

So this stupid cancellation only cost us next year? Good news.

does this mean we are allowed back on the Cougar/ute forum