Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Looking at the Classic lineup, it looks moderately better than it did when it first came out...still, we should do well:

Hawaii (no post season tourney next year)
    Stephen F. Austin
    Southern Miss
    San Francisco
    Tulsa
    SDSU
    Illinois St.
    Sorry.... I basically posted the same thing. I had to look it up and had the same thoughts as you.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Outside of the Diamond Head Classic, I don't know of one game on our OOC schedule. Wichita, SDSU, BYU series are over. I'll be VERY interested to see what it looks like
    I do remember that when Utah cancelled BYU Larry made the comment that they would schedule at least one opponent that would cause Ute fans to high five each other. There was a lot of speculation about that being Gonzaga (a game that makes sense on a lot of levels). I wonder if that would change now.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I do remember that when Utah cancelled BYU Larry made the comment that they would schedule at least one opponent that would cause Ute fans to high five each other. There was a lot of speculation about that being Gonzaga (a game that makes sense on a lot of levels). I wonder if that would change now.
    There was also some chatter that the BYU game next year was a home and home because someone backed out of a game with us...or at least that was the inference by some, but I've not seen that reported or substantiated anywhere else.

I always think that these coaches should just get together with the other teams in their NCAA tournament Pod and get some games scheduled. Iowa St, Purdue, Little Rock, Iona...sure, why not?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Looks like last year's slate wasn't finalized until September.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Given Larry's track record, that's a given.
    We're up to snuff, we never bluff, we're game for any fuss. Or at least we used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't get it.
    He's saying that Utah cancelled BYU because Larry knew we would lose and therefore we would not play a series against Gonzaga because we know we will lose that one too. In other words, he's admitting to being a simple troll or a dim bulb--I'm not sure which.

If Gonzaga goes on to win the ncaa championship maybe we could play them in the Staples Center, a la Duke at MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Given Larry's track record, that's a given.
    Frankly I am nervous about our OOC schedule next year considering Isaiah Wright will be our starting PG until (future All-American PG) Barefield can play in January.

At least Eric Mika will be able to contribute immediately for Utah.

He's saying that Utah cancelled BYU because Larry knew we would lose and therefore we would not play a series against Gonzaga because we know we will lose that one too. In other words, he's admitting to being a simple troll or a dim bulb--I'm not sure which.
    As much as I disagreed with cancelling the BYU series myself, I am kind of enjoying how much it has gotten under BYU fans' skin.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    As much as I disagreed with cancelling the BYU series myself, I am kind of enjoying how much it has gotten under BYU fans' skin.
    Their favorite lament is that Larry is afraid to play them. It's wonderful to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

With the new rules, i wonder if kyle kuzma will declare for the draft. I think i would if i were in his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Frankly I am nervous about our OOC schedule next year considering Isaiah Wright will be our starting PG until (future All-American PG) Barefield can play in January.

At least Eric Mika will be able to contribute immediately for Utah.
    When can they play?
    I remember the FB situation where Jason Thompson could play in the bowl game because the first semester had ended. Is it when it ends or when the next semester starts??

If the former then maybe schedule so that majority of games after that date??

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    When can they play?
    I remember the FB situation where Jason Thompson could play in the bowl game because the first semester had ended. Is it when it ends or when the next semester starts??

If the former then maybe schedule so that majority of games after that date??

When they have completed 2 semesters. So after the completion of Fall Semester.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    When they have completed 2 semesters. So after the completion of Fall Semester.
    Last day of Exams is December 16th

Old Standing,
    Interesting idea of hoping Larry can schedule several games after Dec. 16. On the one hand, you don't want to go overboard and not give the team somewhat of a Christmas break but I'd love to see an extra game or two scheduled over the norm between Dec. 16 and Dec. 31 - especially if they can get a game against a difficult team. I'd like to see Barefield and Collette get a difficult game experience with their teammates going into Pac-12 play. I may be making more out of this than I should but it seems to make some sense on the surface.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 03-23-2016 at 04:16 PM.

What are the new rules?
    Basically, they relaxed the rules. You can go workout with one team, go to some other camp, and return to school by late may.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Old Standing,
    Interesting idea of hoping Larry can schedule several games after Dec. 16. On the one hand, you don't want to go overboard and not give the team somewhat of a Christmas break but I'd love to see an extra game or two scheduled over the norm between Dec. 16 and Dec. 31 - especially if they can get a game against a difficult team. I'd like to see Barefield and Collette get a difficult game experience with their teammates going into Pac-12 play. I may be making more out of this than I should but it seems to make some sense on the surface.
    Last year there was talk of scheduling a school like Westminster for one of the byes during conference play. I'd be good with that.

Looks from this year's schedule that we're looking at 8-10 games which would include the Diamond Head Classic. Would be back for the likes of Duke (19th).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Utah vs Marquette in SLC next season. In Milwaukee the following.

Wojo is one of the guys I liked in our last coaching search. I liked Larry too of course.
    Love it.

Poeltl makes 2nd team AP All-American team. First team is Hield, Valentine, Johnson, Ulis, and Brogdon.
    Can't wait to see him come back and go for 1st team!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Can't wait to see him come back and go for 1st team!
    motivation! He was snubbed!

Utah vs Marquette in SLC next season. In Milwaukee the following.

Wojo is one of the guys I liked in our last coaching search. I liked Larry too of course.
    Or not. Riley is reporting the news was premature. They're talking but aren't close to a deal

Reyes and Wright Transferring

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...ht-chris-reyes

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Reyes and Wright Transferring

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...ht-chris-reyes

Not a big surprise. I wish them well. They are good Utes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not a big surprise. I wish them well. They are good Utes.
    Nope. Wright's father was complimentary of the U and the coaches. Said Isaiah was not asked to leave, but wanted a change of scenery.

Per Bill Riley Reyes has graduated and will be eligible immediately.

Both Wright and Reyes were granted their releases already.

Ok, if Collette is a walk on, as reported, then we are now one player short. That includes pvd.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ok, if Collette is a walk on, as reported, then we are now one player short. That includes pvd.
    That all depends on what they decide to do for the spring semester with Collette.

Ogbe's health will also be an issue. If he can't heal up he'll likely take a medical much like Olsen.

I like these two. Seems like the other players like Reyes. I think he was probably good for the team morale.

Wright never seemed to be happy this year. Hopefully his next stop works out better for him. I had really high hopes for him.
    It's amazing how quickly the program has recovered. Five or six years ago, these guys would have been good "gets."
    I wish both well. Reyes played big in a few spots this season, even if he is the all-time team leader in missed 2-footers.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    It's amazing how quickly the program has recovered. Five or six years ago, these guys would have been good "gets."
    I wish both well. Reyes played big in a few spots this season, even if he is the all-time team leader in missed 2-footers.
    If he is remembered for one thing it will be ripping down an offensive, pumping once, pumping twice, then bricking a gimme layup.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If he is remembered for one thing it will be ripping down an offensive, pumping once, pumping twice, then bricking a gimme layup.
    He probably gave Nate Althoff a run for his money in that regard (Here come the Althoff defenders...).