Thread: The Video Game Thread

The Video Game Thread

Looking for online players? Interested in finding out about a game? Interesting video game news?

It all goes here.

I'll start with this one for the old geezers like me.

Oregon Trail inducted into the Video Game HOF

You have died from dysentery

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Looking for online players? Interested in finding out about a game? Interesting video game news?

It all goes here.

I'll start with this one for the old geezers like me.

Oregon Trail inducted into the Video Game HOF
    What are the cool people playing nowadays, UUte?

My son wants a play station for xmas. He's 10. What do y'all think?

We have a Wii, and we sometimes play mario kart or smash bro's as a family, which is fun. I used to play Lego games with my son, but I think he's outgrown them.

He also has a kindle that he plays minecraft on.

I've been told that you don't just buy a console and games anymore. Now you buy a console and pay a monthly fee to use it. This makes me mad. I've been told that games aren't complete anymore. You pay $60 for the game, and then you still have to pay for additional content. Also ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

We have a Wii, and we sometimes play mario kart or smash bro's as a family, which is fun. I used to play Lego games with my son, but I think he's outgrown them.

I've been told that you don't just buy a console and games anymore. Now you buy a console and pay a monthly fee to use it. This makes me mad. I've been told that games aren't complete anymore. You pay $60 for the game, and then you still have to pay for additional content. Also ticks me off.
    TL;DR: Look at the games available for the platforms and pick the platform that has the games you want.

The fee is only if you want to play games against others online. I have a PS4 and don't pay any monthly fee.

The key is what games you want to play. If he really wants to play Nintendo games, then you have to go with the Switch. You can't get Nintendo games on any other platform. Then you have to live with the fact that games like FIFA and Madden either don't exist or are poor ports, but you'll have Mario and Link. Given his age, you probably don't care about M rated titles (Call Of Duty, Far Cry, TitanFall, Destiny) and they may gravitate to the sports titles (FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden). The good news is that those titles are pretty much available on both XBox and Playstation, so it doesn't really matter which one you buy.

The biggest differentiation between Microsoft and Sony is probably in online (XBox Live is great on my 360) and support for indie titles (which Sony has adopted with the PS4). Nintendo was way behind in online support, and I've been out of the industry for over a year now, but I'd be surprised if anything has changed much in that regard for the Switch.

So I'd start with looking at the games you want to play, see if any of them are specific to a console, and if so, that's the console you get. If it doesn't matter, then you'll have to look and see if there are any second or third level features that pique your interest - PS4 has a VR headset for example and XBox has HoloLens. I think there is now 4K support available for those systems if you have a TV. Those are definitely niche as there isn't a whole lot of support on the game side for those features yet.

My personal opinion is I prefer the PS4 over the XBox One. My boys are 8-12 years old and we focus mainly on sports titles. The horsepower of the PS4 and the XBox One are pretty much equivalent, so you don't get much of a performance difference between the two machines. The reason I prefer the PS4 has more to do with how easy it was the develop on more than anything consumer related. I know people who own an XBox One who love them.

Oh, I wonder if you're friend was talking about the money for loot thing: There are some companies experimenting with microtransaction models similar to what you see in mobile games. eg: For $.99 you can get extra [whatever] to allow you to play longer or more likely to clear the current level. You can still finish the game, but if you pay you don't have to do all the grinding for loot. You can also pay extra for expansion maps and whatnot, although those are pretty much confined to FPS and racing games.

EA got in hot water recently for taking that to the next level where you could pay for a randomized loot drop. It pissed a lot of people off and they backed off. I still think you'll see video games adopt more and more the model from mobile as it is getting more and more difficult for studios to make money (which is why I bailed).

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/...ons-removed-ea

But the standard model is still what you want. If you buy the console and the (majority of) games, you can play them forever without paying anything extra.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 11-30-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

get him this instead:

and take the early lead in Father of the year points

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    get him this instead:

and take the early lead in Father of the year points
    You may get strangled with it, but you could die with a clean conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    TL;DR: Look at the games available for the platforms and pick the platform that has the games you want.

The fee is only if you want to play games against others online. I have a PS4 and don't pay any monthly fee.

The key is what games you want to play. If he really wants to play Nintendo games, then you have to go with the Switch. You can't get Nintendo games on any other platform. Then you have to live with the fact that games like FIFA and Madden either don't exist or are poor ports, but you'll have Mario and Link. Given his age, you probably don't care about M rated titles (Call Of Duty, Far Cry, TitanFall, Destiny) and they may gravitate to the sports titles (FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden). The good news is that those titles are pretty much available on both XBox and Playstation, so it doesn't really matter which one you buy.

The biggest differentiation between Microsoft and Sony is probably in online (XBox Live is great on my 360) and support for indie titles (which Sony has adopted with the PS4). Nintendo was way behind in online support, and I've been out of the industry for over a year now, but I'd be surprised if anything has changed much in that regard for the Switch.

So I'd start with looking at the games you want to play, see if any of them are specific to a console, and if so, that's the console you get. If it doesn't matter, then you'll have to look and see if there are any second or third level features that pique your interest - PS4 has a VR headset for example and XBox has HoloLens. I think there is now 4K support available for those systems if you have a TV. Those are definitely niche as there isn't a whole lot of support on the game side for those features yet.

My personal opinion is I prefer the PS4 over the XBox One. My boys are 8-12 years old and we focus mainly on sports titles. The horsepower of the PS4 and the XBox One are pretty much equivalent, so you don't get much of a performance difference between the two machines. The reason I prefer the PS4 has more to do with how easy it was the develop on more than anything consumer related. I know people who own an XBox One who love them.

Thanks UU. That's great stuff.

My son mostly wants to play Star Wars Battlefront. He plays it at his uncle's house twice a year when we are in Utah. I think that's a game you need to play online, so we'd have to pay the online fee.

I'm pretty sure we'll have a no rated M rule, which seems very limiting. It's also frustrating because so many of the cool looking games are M.

I think we'd have a lot of fun playing FIFA/Madden together. I have a very hard time with modern controllers. I was raised on two buttons and an arrow pad. Or a joystick.

I wonder if I should just get him playing free games on our computer instead (LoL, etc). Those are probably just as fun. If I learn to play, we could play together. Free sounds so good!

This game looks awesome.

This is amazing.

A guy parodies Twitch video game streams using Excel.

Rated PG-13 for language