Thread: 2016 mlb

2016 mlb

As of yesterday, the Yankees are 17 and 22. This makes me happy.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    As of yesterday, the Yankees are 17 and 22. This makes me happy.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

When things go horribly wrong in your life, you just have to keep that thought in mind. It is a serenity now mantra. Much more effective than yoga or a psychiatrist.

It makes me happy that the Dodgers are not in first place, but sad that the Red Sox can't follow them there.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    It makes me happy that the Dodgers are not in first place, but sad that the Red Sox can't follow them there.
    You cannot hurt me with these vicious statements.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Going to Giants/Rockies tomorrow. Anyone heard of this Bumgarner guy?
    Rockies will send him to the showers by the third inning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eldiente View Post
    Rockies will send him to the showers by the third inning.

I watched part of this game. MLB should never be played at elevation.

Rooting guide to the playoffs:

Blue Jays vs Rangers. Why would I root for one of these teams? One is a canadian team in the American national pastime, and the other is the rangers. I would say Prince Fielder is enough to push the balance towards the Rangers, but he's done. Booo!

Red Sox vs Indians. BOOO! How is a fan supposed to enjoy these playoffs at all? Sox are the most annoying team in baseball, and Cleveland is better as a city when its teams stink.

Dodgers vs Nats. Finally a team to root for. The Nats should be every fan's team this postseason.

Giants/Mets vs Cubs. The Cubs are in danger of becoming the new Red Sox. Baseball desperately needs the Cubbies to remain lovable losers. If Chicago wins, there are no ongoing plots left for baseball to talk about. The Giants win every even year, so it probably doesn't matter.

In order then: Nats, Mets, Dodgers, Jays, Rangers, Giants, Indians, Cubs, Red Sox.
    Wrong. Although you are correct that there are very few likeable teams in these playoffs, but here is the proper rooting guide: Jays, Indians, Rangers, Nats, Giants, Cubs, BoSox, Mets, Dodgers.

When did they last win?

Rangers - Never
    Nats - Never
    Cubs - 1908
    Indians - 1948
    Dodgers - 1988
    Blue Jays - 1993
    Red Sox - 2013
    Giants - 2014

3/4 of the teams have not won the series in this century.
    Sounds like the Giants are the most deserving. LET'S Go Giants.

Ugh, this is just lousy.

On the one hand, Cleveland fans went from fine to insufferable in just a few months with their non-stop 3-1 "jokes". The irony of them blowing a lead would be great against any other team. Unfortunately, cubs fans are already insufferable and undeserving. This is a lose lose situation.

I guess you just have to ignore the fans and root for the more likable team. So, go Indians.
    you want one of your biggest divisional rivals to win?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

2016 mlb

I have a lot more friends who are Cubs fans than Indians fans so I am rooting for the Cubs.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.

--Yeats

The Cubs are just supposed to lose. It's just how it works. The Cubs winning would feel like Seattle Ute lauding Joseph Smith for his accomplishments as God's true prophet of the restoration.

Plus, you have to cheer for any small payroll team over a huge market beast like the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    The Cubs are just supposed to lose. It's just how it works. The Cubs winning would feel like Seattle Ute lauding Joseph Smith for his accomplishments as God's true prophet of the restoration.

Plus, you have to cheer for any small payroll team over a huge market beast like the Cubs.

I read a tongue-in-cheek story the other night that mlb wants the Cubs to lose so they can maintain the stratospheric tv ratings for years to come. If the Cubs win, the ratings will go back in the toilet immediately.

P.S. I dont want to hear another hypocritical comment from another Angels or Dodgers fan about rooting for the small payroll team.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I read a tongue-in-cheek story the other night that mlb wants the Cubs to lose so they can maintain the stratospheric tv ratings for years to come. If the Cubs win, the ratings will go back in the toilet immediately.

P.S. I dont want to hear another hypocritical comment from another Angels or Dodgers fan about rooting for the small payroll team.
    I'm a Braves fan, and they have a pretty small payroll. I support the Angels as the local team whose games I take my kids to, but they're not near the top of my list of favorite teams.

I have a lot more friends who are Cubs fans than Indians fans so I am rooting for the Cubs.
    \

Myfriendshavesimilarloyalties.That'swhyI'mrootingf ortheIndians!

Well, this is pretty great. Tied in the ninth of game seven.
    The attempted bunt was a coaching error.

--Yeats

The attempted bunt was a coaching error.

As Joe Buck said, every move Maddon has made tonight has backfired.

That game almost made me a baseball fan.

All you asshole Cub-haters can suck it and move on to bullying the cursed Seattle Mariners.

That HR was the biggest moment baseball has seen in a while. Too bad it will be forgotten.

Pretty darn funny that Cleveland blew a 3-1 lead. The city deserves that.
    The irony is the Cavs came down from a 3-1 deficit to win the NBA Championship. It was great to see Lebron going nuts. By the time he's done....GOAT. There, I said it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.