View Poll Results: How concerned are you about the uptick in transfers this year?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

2 10.53%

0 0%

4 21.05%

3 15.79%

3 15.79%

2 10.53%

1 5.26%

2 10.53%

0 0%

2 10.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerns over transfers

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ogbe to UVU.

Im so confused by this, I don't know where to start. If Ogbe is healthy, is he not our starting 3 and getting a lot of minutes?

In my mind, there are two options here:
    a) Kuzma is going to transition to the 3 next year, taking the majority of the minutes and Kenneth, wanting to get playing time with his last year, decides to go somewhere where he will have that chance.
    b) The staff has a countermove planned and are not sure Ogbe will make it through another year, and thus asked him to move on.
    The staff has long had plans to medically retire Ogbe. They've been recruiting over him at every opportunity, and the egg on our staff's face over losing Baruti is now doubled, because there was no way they could convince Ogbe to come back. Why on earth would he?

Riley said Friday that Ogbe was not asked to leave and that the others who have left were not asked to leave (which surprised me). Of course, SCP is right -- the staff has been recruiting over them right and left. The players could see the writing on the wall.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Riley said Friday that Ogbe was not asked to leave and that the others who have left were not asked to leave (which surprised me). Of course, SCP is right -- the staff has been recruiting over them right and left. The players could see the writing on the wall.
    Yeah, but Seattle is right too. Chapman is the only transfer who was in line for real minutes - maybe Wright until barefield could play.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, but Seattle is right too. Chapman is the only transfer who was in line for real minutes - maybe Wright until barefield could play.
    I agree. I am not ready to say that this is a sign of trouble in the program at all. More likely it is evidence of upgrading.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

not sure if this is a concern, but Krysko hasn't coached anywhere for more than 2 years. This is new territory for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    not sure if this is a concern, but Krysko hasn't coached anywhere for more than 2 years. This is new territory for him.
    Good point.

--Yeats

Bill Riley is an outstanding PBP man, and I'll take his historical viewpoint ahead of many others. But the current news he conveys about the program will always be slanted so that the athletic program holds him in high regard. In other words, Riley ain't gonna rock the boat with strong opinions that run counter to the scrubbed-and-polished viewpoint the administration and/or coaches want out there, lest he wants to run the risk of the school finding another media outlet to broadcast their games -- one that will toe the line and not cross it. I think that's important to remember whenever Riley is speaking on the current state of the program.

We didn't look to Bill Marcroft to shed such insight; no reason we should expect anything different from Riley.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Bill Riley is an outstanding PBP man, and I'll take his historical viewpoint ahead of many others. But the current news he conveys about the program will always be slanted so that the athletic program holds him in high regard. In other words, Riley ain't gonna rock the boat with strong opinions that run counter to the scrubbed-and-polished viewpoint the administration and/or coaches want out there, lest he wants to run the risk of the school finding another media outlet to broadcast their games -- one that will toe the line and not cross it. I think that's important to remember whenever Riley is speaking on the current state of the program.

We didn't look to Bill Marcroft to shed such insight; no reason we should expect anything different from Riley.
    I think a lot of news outlets trade positive coverage for access, at least tacitly. I learned with Boylen, and at that time the sports web was still developing, that much of what Rivals etc. posted about recruits and player development was pretty much right from the coach's mouth, especially since Utah recruits are often obscure. Hence these three and four star players that when they actually played turned out to be of limited ability.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

All true

But after listening to Krysko yesterday it's obvious he and the staff spent a ton of time with Ogbe figuring this out.

They sent him to multiple doctors and he still couldn't get cleared or perform. He was offered the same deal Jeremy Olsen was given but he thinks he can play, so with the help of the staff he's taken a bunch of credits to graduate and they're helping him transfer. It's obvious the U's medical staff and coaching staff doesn't believe he can play for the U with his injury issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's true. We all know what Riley's job is. I pay more attention to what is said by the folks he interviews than what he reports. I don't really see him as a reporter. The interview he did with LK was just what I wanted:

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...coach-7-12-16/

Bill basically said, "Fans are worried. Please comment." And we heard what Larry has to say.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    All true

But after listening to Krysko yesterday it's obvious he and the staff spent a ton of time with Ogbe figuring this out.

They sent him to multiple doctors and he still couldn't get cleared or perform. He was offered the same deal Jeremy Olsen was given but he thinks he can play, so with the help of the staff he's taken a bunch of credits to graduate and they're helping him transfer. It's obvious the U's medical staff and coaching staff doesn't believe he can play for the U with his injury issues.

Oh, I agree on Ogbe. His departure has nothing to do with the staff missing on a talent, or Ogbe having big britches syndrome and feeling like he's entitled to a bigger role. My response was in to Riley's statement that the staff didn't ask anyone directly to leave. That may be true, but it's ignoring the bigger point -- that the staff was actively recruiting over players (and several of them) that they recruited and missed on with regard to evaluating.

You can't go on about how we'll be better with the new players, but ignore the fact that we're bringing in new players because you were substandard in the evaluation and offer process.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think a lot of news outlets trade positive coverage for access, at least tacitly. I learned with Boylen, and at that time the sports web was still developing, that much of what Rivals etc. posted about recruits and player development was pretty much right from the coach's mouth, especially since Utah recruits are often obscure. Hence these three and four star players that when they actually played turned out to be of limited ability.
    There is zero doubt this is a problem in college sports media. Just look at how the league's coaches are about reporting injuries. And their admins have fallen in line behind them.

I'm not sure the example you use is a good one. There's speaking frankly, there's putting spin on a particular topic -- and there's committing a violation. Maybe an assistant or someone intimate with the program spoke glowingly about an unsigned recruit, but certainly not the HC. Shoot, even Barrett Peery wouldn't mention Jiggy Watkins by name when I asked him at the national tournament a few years back who he was looking at -- and I wasn't even credentialed media for that tournament!

All true

The other thing Larry slipped in there was that he saw a doctor in Germany who gave him a different diagnosis...so there could be some aspect of this where Kenneth feels that the medical staff didn't diagnose or treat him properly.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The other thing Larry slipped in there was that he saw a doctor in Germany who gave him a different diagnosis...so there could be some aspect of this where Kenneth feels that the medical staff didn't diagnose or treat him properly.
    Maybe, but knowing the doctors the U has, and then we send the kid to Philly, that's hard to buy.

(And for a reference the U left no stone unturned for Travis Wilson. They sought the top doctors in the country before coming to a decision. They do the same in all sports. The U is lucky to have the sports medicine staff they do. And the basketball trainer is tremendous as well)

Maybe, but knowing the doctors the U has, and then we send the kid to Philly, that's hard to buy.

(And for a reference the U left no stone unturned for Travis Wilson. They sought the top doctors in the country before coming to a decision. They do the same in all sports. The U is lucky to have the sports medicine staff they do. And the basketball trainer is tremendous as well)

Oh...I think if it were true it would be a completely irrational thought for the reasons you outlined.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's true. We all know what Riley's job is. I pay more attention to what is said by the folks he interviews than what he reports.
    I kinda like homers because you know what their agendas are. I've never liked the "do not root for anyone" rule that sports media places on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I kinda like homers because you know what their agendas are. I've never liked the "do not root for anyone" rule that sports media places on itself.
    I take everything any news media type says with a grain of salt. It's just information. Depending on the subject, sometimes info from a homer is more reliable than from a critic.

--Yeats

There is zero doubt this is a problem in college sports media. Just look at how the league's coaches are about reporting injuries. And their admins have fallen in line behind them.

I'm not sure the example you use is a good one. There's speaking frankly, there's putting spin on a particular topic -- and there's committing a violation. Maybe an assistant or someone intimate with the program spoke glowingly about an unsigned recruit, but certainly not the HC. Shoot, even Barrett Peery wouldn't mention Jiggy Watkins by name when I asked him at the national tournament a few years back who he was looking at -- and I wasn't even credentialed media for that tournament!
    I'm talking about how the players were characterized after they signed. Utah has had a lot of players who were under the radar and weren't rated until after Utah announced them.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Kenneth Ogbe headed to Provo. Well, I guess technically Orem. Maybe he suits up against us when we play on Dec. 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Kenneth Ogbe headed to Provo. Well, I guess technically Orem. Maybe he suits up against us when we play on Dec. 6.
    No wonder we have so many new faces...Larry couldn't take any chances with Kenneth bringing an in-depth scouting report to UVU with him!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    No wonder we have so many new faces...Larry couldn't take any chances with Kenneth bringing an in-depth scouting report to UVU with him!
    Let's just hope he doesn't harness the power of schnitzel. Actually best of luck to him at UVU, something very sad at seeing someone's dreams hampered by injury.