Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Recruiting Discussion Thread

2017 Recruiting Discussion Thread

With 2016 in the books, we might as well have a thread for 2017 recruits with they commit.

I believe we only have one guy committed right now for 2017: Ty Jones, WR out of Provo, we'll see if he's still around a year from now.

Mostly this is just a placeholder for the time being.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    With 2016 in the books, we might as well have a thread for 2017 recruits with they commit.

I believe we only have one guy committed right now for 2017: Ty Jones, WR out of Provo, we'll see if he's still around a year from now.

Mostly this is just a placeholder for the time being.
    I will take it out of placeholder status immediately (for the time being).

Can't remember who, but some reporter tweeted yesterday that 2017 is likely the deepest, most talented high school class ever in the State of Utah. At least one of them, maybe two, has already committed to Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Can't remember who, but some reporter tweeted yesterday that 2017 is likely the deepest, most talented high school class ever in the State of Utah. At least one of them, maybe two, has already committed to Stanford.
    You know, they will be able to get an interview anywhere just based on a Stanford degree.

Swinney has been saying this. All I know of so far is Sione Heimuli-Lund who is committed to Stanford and there is a DL from Bingham who is committed to Oregon.

The current Rivals 250 has the following Utah Prospects listed:

Sione Lund, RB - Stanford
    Chaz Ah You, S - Undeclared
    Jay Tufele, DT - Undeclared

(Those are four stars)

They rank them as the top 3 in the State, followed by:

Langi Tuifua, DE - Oregon
    Ty Jones, WR - Utah
    Michael Richardson, OL - Undeclared
    Taniela Pututau, WR - Undeclared
    Jackson McChesney, RB - BYU
    Caleb Taylor, QB - Undeclared
    Tayler Katoa, QB - Undeclared

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The current Rivals 250 has the following Utah Prospects listed:

Sione Lund, RB - Stanford
    Chaz Ah You, S - Undeclared
    Jay Tufele, DT - Undeclared

(Those are four stars)

They rank them as the top 3 in the State, followed by:

Langi Tuifua, DE - Oregon
    Ty Jones, WR - Utah
    Michael Richardson, OL - Undeclared
    Taniela Pututau, WR - Undeclared
    Jackson McChesney, RB - BYU
    Caleb Taylor, QB - Undeclared
    Tayler Katoa, QB - Undeclared
    McChesney is easily the worst name on this list.

Another guy to watch will be John Penisini, 6'2 DT from Snow College. http://www.snowbadgers.com/roster.as...&path=football

ESPN hasn't published its full list of top JC players, but it's current list for 2017 (about 8 names) shows John and his only offer is from Utah.

Snow College DT John Penisini committed to Utah this afternoon.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3875758/...ghts/309119378
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-02-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Is he 2017?
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another guy to watch will be John Penisini, 6'2 DT from Snow College. http://www.snowbadgers.com/roster.as...&path=football

ESPN hasn't published its full list of top JC players, but it's current list for 2017 (about 8 names) shows John and his only offer is from Utah.
    Swish!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Snow College DT John Penisini committed to Utah this afternoon.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3875758/...ghts/309119378
    That can't be right. He looks Polynesian.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Due to the fact that he has "Penis" as part of his last name, BYU was unable to offer him a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    He must lack intelligence. We still are allowed to take the dumb Polynesians. If he is smart, he enjoys having premarital sexual relations and/or enjoys consuming alcoholic beverages.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Kind of off-topic, but this is the son of one of my law parthers:

http://247sports.com/Article/Ranking...-West-44184210

He's a 5-star with offers from all over. It's interesting to hear the parent's perspective in these situations.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kind of off-topic, but this is the son of one of my law parthers:

http://247sports.com/Article/Ranking...-West-44184210

He's a 5-star with offers from all over. It's interesting to hear the parent's perspective in these situations.
    Get him on the hill.

Get him on the hill.
    I agree. If he doesn't end up at the U it will go down on LA Ute's permanent record.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I agree. If he doesn't end up at the U it will go down on LA Ute's permanent record.
    It'll be a test of KW's ability to go head to head with Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and many others to come. All have offered him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It'll be a test of KW's ability to go head to head with Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and many others to come. All have offered him.
    Stop trying to change the focus. This is all on you and we all know it.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Stop trying to change the focus. This is all on you and we all know it.
    😡

--Yeats

Ty Jones made his decommitment official today. Put his Ute hat back on the table next to a couple Cal and Stanford hats. (Even though he doesn't have offers from either of those schools.)

Jay Tufele picked up an offer from Notre Dame.

I looked back at the first post in the 2016 recruiting thread. As of 3/31/15 we had the following commitments:

Mica Croom, DB, La Mirada - CA, 3 Stars

Kahi Neves, QB, Salt Lake City - UT, 3 Stars
    Tucker Scott, OT, San Clemente - CA, 3 Stars
    Kurtis Taufa, LB, Ephraim - UT, 2 Stars
    Mitch Wishnowsky, K, Santa Barbara - CA, 0 Stars

Who knows what happened to Croom. Neves signed with Arizona after Utah apparently asked him to either greyshirt or be a push forward. Scott, Wishnowsky and Taufa all signed.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I looked back at the first post in the 2016 recruiting thread. As of 3/31/15 we had the following commitments:

Who knows what happened to Croom. Neves signed with Arizona after Utah apparently asked him to either greyshirt or be a push forward. Scott, Wishnowsky and Taufa all signed.
    Recruiting sites show Croom committed to Dartmouth 2/1/16.

Being a no scholarship institution there's no LOI

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

Taufa signed after switching to being a Kansas commit for a stint, if I remember correctly. But it sounds like he's not going to make it, regardless.

--Yeats

Ty Jones committed to Washington last night. I hope his mom knows how much it rains there. I kid. I kid.

Ty Jones committed to Washington last night. I hope his mom knows how much it rains there. I kid. I kid.

We really need some wr talent. At least he didn't go to Stanford like every other utahn.

They got her a ticket under the canopy but didn't mention that's the only time she's getting a covered seat.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We really need some wr talent. At least he didn't go to Stanford like every other utahn.
    Given that our QB position is still a relative unknown, it's not difficult to see how appealing it might be to play with Browning during his Junior/Senior years. It is interesting though, our homegrown talent goes elsewhere and we back fill with guys from Texas and California. Only time will tell which will win out.