Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2016 NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Everybody is saying this may be the greatest football game ever--which demonstrates why basketball is superior. Seesaw, helter skelter, come from behind, last second finish basketball games happen all the time, not infrequently when the stakes are huge.
    People said that about the basketball championship last season too.

Both sports have a lot going for them, and both have their flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    People said that about the basketball championship last season too.

Both sports have a lot going for them, and both have their flaws.
    The major problem with basketball is officiating . Poor officiating barely makes the game watchable. On the pro level, the officiating plus the rule changes make everything but the playoffs unwatchable.

In football, my hope is the top of off-season discussion is to eliminate the pick play. Clemson scored twice on it and it impossible to defend. It needs to go away before next season.

Baseball is nearly a perfect game, at all levels. 🙂
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    The major problem with basketball is officiating . Poor officiating barely makes the game watchable. On the pro level, the officiating plus the rule changes make everything but the playoffs unwatchable.

In football, my hope is the top of off-season discussion is to eliminate the pick play. Clemson scored twice on it and it impossible to defend. It needs to go away before next season.

Baseball is nearly a perfect game, at all levels. 
    I agree. Basketball is close to being a perfect sport, but it is impossible to officiate well and/or consistently, which is a serious flaw. The outcome of most close games is somewhat arbitrary. A large percentage of calls in basketball are questionable, larger than in any other sport I know of.

I'm not sure what can be done about pick plays. It's done all the time, and it's called less than 10% of the time. It's a main staple in many of the high powered offenses we see. When the QB rolls out, like the game winner last night, the WR can pretend to be run blocking on a run-pass option. I'm not sure how you call it.

Baseball is nearly a perfect game, at all levels. 
    Majerus nailed the problem with college refereeing: it penalizes the big guy.

The really big guys get called for fouls that shouldn't be called because they are big and people are falling over. Plus, they get hacked and and they're so big compared to the other guys on the court it barely impacts their motion, but it should be a foul nonetheless, and it is often missed because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Majerus nailed the problem with college refereeing: it penalizes the big guy.

The really big guys get called for fouls that shouldn't be called because they are big and people are falling over. Plus, they get hacked and and they're so big compared to the other guys on the court it barely impacts their motion, but it should be a foul nonetheless, and it is often missed because of that.
    The other problem with bb refereeing: it penalizes the visiting team. Home filed advantage more pronounced in bb than any other sport, by far IMHO, in part because of refereeing. And in the pros, of course, the refs favor the stars. Finally, different conferences ref differently; what is is foul in one conference is a "let them play" in another. And one more finally: the game is reffed differently the final part of the game than the early part, and the playoffs differently from the regular season.

In other words, refereeing is a bigger factor in bb than any other sport, and the subjectivity and inconsistency hurts the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The other problem with bb refereeing: it penalizes the visiting team. Home filed advantage more pronounced in bb than any other sport, by far IMHO, in part because of refereeing. And in the pros, of course, the refs favor the stars. Finally, different conferences ref differently; what is is foul in one conference is a "let them play" in another. And one more finally: the game is reffed differently the final part of the game than the early part, and the playoffs differently from the regular season.

In other words, refereeing is a bigger factor in bb than any other sport, and the subjectivity and inconsistency hurts the sport.
    I think there's more to the home court advantage than refereeing.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I agree. Basketball is close to being a perfect sport, but it is impossible to officiate well and/or consistently, which is a serious flaw. The outcome of most close games is somewhat arbitrary. A large percentage of calls in basketball are questionable, larger than in any other sport I know of.
    I disagree that the end of close games are random. The teams are where they are at game's end, and some teams are better equipped--with gamers or better coaching, motivation or xs and os--to win at the end. How often do we see a player finally start to hit his threes one after the other in the last two minutes. Over the course of as season or even a game the subjectivity of officiating evens out. Everyone is in the same boat. Probably the less that refs call the better. Maybe charge/block should just be a no-call every time unless the shooting arm gets hit.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I disagree that the end of close games are random. The teams are where they are at game's end, and some teams are better equipped--with gamers or better coaching, motivation or xs and os--to win at the end. How often do we see a player finally start to hit his threes one after the other in the last two minutes.
    I love basketball for the drama. It was electric when Dillon Brooks hit the game winner against UCLA last week. But go back to that game and count how many calls were questionable. Probably 10-20 calls. In a one-score game, every one of those calls matter as much as Brooks' amazing clutch shot.

Over the course of as season or even a game the subjectivity of officiating evens out.
    I don't know if this is true from a statistics point of view. Even if it is true, though, it's hardly satisfying.

Probably the less that refs call the better. Maybe charge/block should just be a no-call every time unless the shooting arm gets hit.
    Now this makes sense! So many calls in basketball should be no-calls.

Basketball will always be a very hard game to officiate. I don't blame the officials (though I don't like them either). It's just a tough game to call.

Basketball is really the only game I know of where the best teams are the ones that are able to get the other team to break the rules the most. Getting the other team to foul is a fundamental part of winning basketball. That's a flaw in the game that would still be there even if God could justly officiate the game.

I think there's more to the home court advantage than refereeing.
    Sure, but it's definitely a part of home court advantage.

Sure, but it's definitely a part of home court advantage.

Yep. The home court advantage influences the reffing, not the other way around.

I love basketball for the drama. It was electric when Dillon Brooks hit the game winner against UCLA last week. But go back to that game and count how many calls were questionable. Probably 10-20 calls. In a one-score game, every one of those calls matter as much as Brooks' amazing clutch shot.

No they don't. Every one of those "questionable calls" elicited a reaction--by either team in strategy, tempo, momentum, shot selection, etc., and the refs, i.e., make-up calls. Brooks' basket was the last play of the game. There was no reaction to that possible.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

They say Briles is out at Baylor. I think that's a bad idea. I'm guessing Baylor regrets this in a few years when Briles is tearing it up for someone else. People forget quickly in college football. An apology with a "I didn't understand the scope of what had happened" followed by a successful season would have probably been enough.
    Given what we know now, I'm guessing you don't feel this way any longer, right? If Baylor's program doesn't warrant the death penalty, what does? It's totally outrageous that Penn State didn't get the death penalty, and just as absurd that Baylor hasn't received it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Given what we know now, I'm guessing you don't feel this way any longer, right? If Baylor's program doesn't warrant the death penalty, what does? It's totally outrageous that Penn State didn't get the death penalty, and just as absurd that Baylor hasn't received it.
    Yeah, I spoke too soon. Unbelievable what happened at Baylor.

Bruce FeldmanVerified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 15m15 minutes agoMore

BREAKING After receiving revised notice from the NCAA, #OleMiss is self-imposing a one-year post-season ban for the 2017 CFB season.

I think Utah is the most underrated Power5 program in CFB.. Never realized just how physical & athletic they are till you see em in person.

Baylor just f'ing with the NCAA at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Baylor just f'ing with the NCAA at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You want to believe the best in people...but man, at some point, it's not the people you are hiring, it's the people who are hiring.