Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA football

It is always the school who suspends players. There ncaa tools them they were looking at allegations against 40 players.

Central Michigan knocks off Okie State in a game for the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It is always the school who suspends players. There ncaa tools them they were looking at allegations against 40 players.
    Yes. And that school has had all kinds of issues this year.

The "school supplies" part was bad by all those who reported it. It's allowed, but saying a kid was suspended for buying paper is a much better ratings drive than saying he's suspended for buying some Beats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louisville to be sporting chrome red helmets Saturday. They look pretty sweet.

https://twitter.com/UofLEquipment/st...96012825264129

uoflhelmets.jpg

I want to see if Texas can put 400+ yds rushing on Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Louisville to be sporting chrome red helmets Saturday. They look pretty sweet.

https://twitter.com/UofLEquipment/st...96012825264129

uoflhelmets.jpg
    I was hoping these were ours with a red-tailed hawk's head until I read "Louisville Equipment".
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Former Ute Connor Manning takes Georgia St. Into Wisconsin and very nearly beats em. They fell 23-17.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I just walked into a restaurant and saw the Louisville-FSU score. I couldn't believe it. 63-10 with 10:00 to go in the 4th.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Clemson's opponent with the Kaelin Clay move on what should have been a go ahead TD after a brilliant 74 yd punt return.
    Clay may have finally have been dethroned by South Carolina State.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...96268976279552

Colorado is up 14-0 over Michigan. Almost 12 minutes left in first quarter.

. I am officially nervous about the game in Boulder.

Colorado is up 14-0 over Michigan. Almost 12 minutes left in first quarter.

. I am officially nervous about the game in Boulder.
    Nobody said winning the South would be easy, they only said it'd be worth it!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Both USC and Notre Dame start the season 1-3. Wow.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Both USC and Notre Dame start the season 1-3. Wow.
    That makes Stanford happy!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Three G5 teams in the top 25: Houston at #6, SDSU at #19, and Boise at #24. As a new money fan, I love to see this.

SDSU and BSU don't play this year. If they can manage not to blow a game, the MWC championship could be for a NY6 bowl and a top 10 ranking.
    The P5 needs to break off from the G5. No way Houston is a top 10 team. Stanford and Washington get punished for playing P5 schools (they received less votes than last week) while Houston gets ranked ahead of both for playing Texas State. I'd bet Houston would not go 2-0 if they played Stanford and Washington in back to back weeks. Hell, I'd bet that Houston has a better shot of going 0-2 than 2-0.

It's a joke.

LSU is stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    LSU is stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I hope they have a string a 5-win seasons now.

Also it appears Sancho is more interested in watching Stanford than Utah.

Utah@Cal, 3:00 PT, on PAC-12 Network. Must See TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The P5 needs to break off from the G5. No way Houston is a top 10 team. Stanford and Washington get punished for playing P5 schools (they received less votes than last week) while Houston gets ranked ahead of both for playing Texas State. I'd bet Houston would not go 2-0 if they played Stanford and Washington in back to back weeks. Hell, I'd bet that Houston has a better shot of going 0-2 than 2-0.

It's a joke.
    This is stupid, and it's even stupider coming from a Utah fan. Have a little self awareness.

Why should Washington be in the top 10? Because they beat Arizona in overtime? Throw a party! Houston has beaten the preseason #2 and they beat a decent Cincinnati team. Based purely on resume, it's Houston, Wisconsin, Louisville, Bama, and everyone else.

Your argument against Houston sounds exactly like the ones that were leveled against Utah before the 08 Sugar Bowl (and afterwards by BYU fans). They aren't in the P5 so they can't be good. Making arguments like this makes it seem like you have been a Utah fan for 5 years.
    Last edited by Applejack; 09-29-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This is stupid, and it's even stupider coming from a Utah fan. Have a little self awareness.

Why should Washington be in the top 10? Because they beat Arizona in overtime? Throw a party! Houston has beaten the preseason #2 and they beat a decent Cincinnati team. Based purely on resume, it's Houston, Wisconsin, Louisville, Bama, and everyone else.

Your argument against Houston sounds exactly like the ones that were leveled against Utah before the 08 Sugar Bowl (and afterwards by BYU fans). They aren't in the P5 so they can't be good. Making arguments like this makes it seem like you have been a Utah fan for 5 years.
    Have some self awareness? Lol. I have self awareness. I'm intelligent enough to look back at our struggles as we came into P5 and realize that the week in, week out line is real.

There is a reason why that line was used against us...it's legit. Houston plays, what, maybe three teams that can beat them?

How many does Stanford play? USC, UCLA, Washington, WSU and ND...all in consecutive weeks. Do you think Houston would come out of that with no losses?

What's Houston's record after playing Alabama, USU, Stanford and Utah?

And that's just the weak PAC-12.

No, Houston does not deserve to be in the playoff over a two loss Stanford team.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

To be fair...had we beaten Arizona last year in overtime we would've thrown a party.

I believe our struggles as we entered the Pac had more to do with our qb situation than with the schedule.

I've never seen compelling evidence that a great g5 team would necessarily struggle with a p5 schedule.

The evidence we do have suggests that great g5 teams do really well against good p5 teams.

As is now, we give p5 teams at least one mulligan that we don't to g5 teams. From year to year, all you can do is evaluate everyone's performance and try to pick the best four teams. There's no sense in eliminating any team from consideration based only on conference affiliation.

Finally, college football is more interesting when there are cinderellas present. I'd much rather watch an unbeaten Houston in the playoff than a 2-loss anyone.
    I'd say there's a caveat to all this.

Depth is the difference between the P5 and the good G5 teams. Utah and TCU proved this.

Our first string could always compete. But if we lost someone we were in trouble. We're finally getting to the point where that's less of an issue, however I think we still have some work to do.

And all of that is what leads to the schedule being a problem. Playing teams with better and deeper rosters stresses your roster more.

All that being said, I don't buy the post yeah started this, but pretending there isn't a difference to some degree ignores our growing pains.

I believe our struggles as we entered the Pac had more to do with our qb situation than with the schedule.

I've never seen compelling evidence that a great g5 team would necessarily struggle with a p5 schedule.

The evidence we do have suggests that great g5 teams do really well against good p5 teams.

As is now, we give p5 teams at least one mulligan that we don't to g5 teams. From year to year, all you can do is evaluate everyone's performance and try to pick the best four teams. There's no sense in eliminating any team from consideration based only on conference affiliation.

Finally, college football is more interesting when there are cinderellas present. I'd much rather watch an unbeaten Houston in the playoff than a 2-loss anyone.
    So, Houston wouldn't struggle with Alabama, Stanford, USU and Utah?
    Houston would go undefeated vs Kansas St, USC, UCLA, Washington, WSU and then Notre Dame?

What would you peg Houston's record after those games?

Also, you would penalize a two loss Stanford team, who played that gauntlet and let Houston in over them? Have you seen how HORRIBLE Houston's schedule is?

Houston plays one decent team: Louisville. Stanford plays five teams that could beat Louisville IN A ROW.

Again, this is the lowly PAC-12 I'm talking about.

How would Houston fare vs a tougher schedule?

Also, Diehard brings up a great point. How does Utah do year two and three if Wynn never gets injured?

We will never know because he did get injured. As did Wilson. The reality is, players get hurt in football. It is a lot easier to protect your best players in a G5 conference (hence the week in, week out argument). How many games does Houston win if they lose their QB? Odds are they would if they were P5.

Remind me again who Houston played the first week, please?

Chokelahoma would come in somewhere between 3rd and 6th in the PAC-12, possibly a bit higher.

Houston's game against Louisville will be an epic battle.

Remind me again who Houston played the first week, please?

Chokelahoma would come in somewhere between 3rd and 6th in the PAC-12, possibly a bit higher.

Houston's game against Louisville will be an epic battle.
    Whoa. Two big games, fifteen weeks apart.

My point exactly. Thank you.

Whoa. Two big games, fifteen weeks apart.

My point exactly. Thank you.
    Bullshit. You claim Houston is not a good team because they don't play anybody.

Please use this same logic to tell us how good/bad Utah was in 2004. I happen to believe that 2004 team would beat anybody in the nation and perhaps could have toppled mighty USC on a neutral field.

But our best wins were against a 7-5 Texas A&M team (4th place in Big 12), and a 6-6 UNC (5th place in ACC), and 8-5 Pitt. In fact our best competition in the MWC that year was probably Rocky Long's New Mexico team.

Utah's 2004 team is one of 2 teams in history to beat all of their opponents by 14+ points (along with 1995 Nebraska). And yet by your standard of judging Houston, they weren't very good.

I know this is a new year, but remember that Oklahoma went to the CFP last year. Houston is a very strong program with a coach who possesses one of the brightest minds in CFB. I very badly want Houston to get added to the Big 12, because the idea of Tom Herman going to USC should terrify all of us.

Bullshit. You claim Houston is not a good team because they don't play anybody.
    I never said that Houston wasn't a good team. They are a fantastic team. What I've been saying is they don't deserve to be in the playoff, nor did they earn a spot in the playoff.

Please use this same logic to tell us how good/bad Utah was in 2004. I happen to believe that 2004 team would beat anybody in the nation and perhaps could have toppled mighty USC on a neutral field.

But our best wins were against a 7-5 Texas A&M team (4th place in Big 12), and a 6-6 UNC (5th place in ACC), and 8-5 Pitt. In fact our best competition in the MWC that year was probably Rocky Long's New Mexico team.

Utah's 2004 team is one of 2 teams in history to beat all of their opponents by 14+ points (along with 1995 Nebraska). And yet by your standard of judging Houston, they weren't very good.
    Again, I've never said Houston wasn't very good. You are putting words in my mouth.

I know this is a new year, but remember that Oklahoma went to the CFP last year. Houston is a very strong program with a coach who possesses one of the brightest minds in CFB. I very badly want Houston to get added to the Big 12, because the idea of Tom Herman going to USC should terrify all of us.
    What Houston did to Oklahoma was fantastic. So was what Louisville did to FSU.

And here is my point:

Who is Houston playing this weekend? Who is Louisville playing this weekend?

Do you not see the difference?

Look at Stanford's schedule. So, if Stanford ends up with 1-2 losses, you are going to penalize Stanford for playing a tough schedule? If Stanford loses 1-2 games, is there any doubt they'd go undefeated with Houston's schedule? So, why should Stanford be penalized? Stanford would have done more to earn the right to the playoff spot than Houston.

And yes, Houston can only play who they can play. Sucks for Houston. It's why we joined the PAC-12.

Finally, if you let Houston into the playoff, can you imagine the shit storm you will have created? SOS would become 100% irrelevant. Utah going to the PAC-12 would have been a mistake.

I like Houston. I like watching Houston. BUT, because they only play 2 halfway decent teams this year, they should NOT be even under consideration EVER for a playoff spot. I'd much rather have a two loss P5 champion who played 12 P5 schools (Stanford) than Houston. Hell, if USC were to run the table and win the PAC-12, they should be in over Houston. Starting the year vs Utah, Stanford and Alabama? That shouldn't keep you out of the playoff.

Hell, I'd even consider Houston more if they didn't play Lamar and Texas State in their OOC. That's bullshit. If they had 4 P5 schools, then ran the table, I'd at least listen then. But to schedule those two teams then demand a spot at the playoff table?

Give me a break. That's mocking the system.

Hell, I'd even consider Houston more if they didn't play Lamar and Texas State in their OOC. That's bullshit. If they had 4 P5 schools, then ran the table, I'd at least listen then. But to schedule those two teams then demand a spot at the playoff table?

Give me a break. That's mocking the system.

There's no question Houston is a good team. They pass the eye test with flying colors, but, college football is a hellacious grind for the P5 schools. if you want to be considered in the top 4 at the end of the year, and, you know your conference schedule is FAR less rigorous than a typical P5 schedule, then, you need to at least make an effort in OOC scheduling. Lamar and TSU are throwaway games. They don't come close to making an effort. Even traditionally middle-of-the-road P5 schools like Arkansas & Syracuse would've ended all arguments.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.