Thread: Utah Baseball: Our First Men's Pac-12 Champions

Utah Baseball: Our First Men's Pac-12 Champions

What an awesome accomplishment. And one totally out of the blue. It's a damn shame this isn't getting more run nationally. It would almost be the equivalent of the Cleveland Browns winning the Super Bowl this year, except that Cleveland has actually been a threat to get to the Super Bowl a few times in our lifetime, whereas Utah baseball could only be counted on to suck.

The overall losing record isn't much to gloss over -- Utah baseball has actually had a smattering of winning records over the last 30 years -- but is largely inconsequential in light of the shadow our first men's championship banner casts. Ultimately, this team should be inducted into the Crimson Club Hall of Fame.

Regional announcements coming up in an hour. I'll be watching. Are we really just 4 or 5 wins from Omaha? College baseball has a funny way of producing Cinderellas -- see Fresno State (23-23 entering the 2008 postseason) and Oregon State (it's 2006 champion was a true national contender; it's 2007 champ had a losing record in Pac-12 play by several games) in the last 10 years. The ride ain't over yet -- maybe Utah can be that team, too.

I am curious to see the match ups. Any high seed should be sick to their stomach to see us in their regional. We have a true ace, good line up balance and a good closer in the back end to the bullpen. We should feel confident with any match up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

My guess is we go to Texas Tech, aTm, or TCU

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Well I was wrong

André Gide

Ole Miss on Friday. Are these single games or a three game series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Ole Miss on Friday. Are these single games or a three game series?

Double elimination, 4 team bracket

André Gide

Saw this on the old twitter machine, but we are the only team to finish in the top 3 in Pac-12 play in football, basketball, and baseball. (Admittedly, you have to acknowledge the tie in football that we technically didn't win the tiebreaker on......)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Saw this on the old twitter machine, but we are the only team to finish in the top 3 in Pac-12 play in football, basketball, and baseball. (Admittedly, you have to acknowledge the tie in football that we technically didn't win the tiebreaker on......)
    Also one of six in the country that participated in post season play in each of the three sports. Add gymnastics and we're probably the only one left.

Where did we finish in skiing? That is always a strength.

This finish by the baseball team makes me excited to watch baseball again.

Also one of six in the country that participated in post season play in each of the three sports. Add gymnastics and we're probably the only one left.
    Gotta imagine there's an SEC school or two that can make the same claim. That's easily the best gymnastics league in the country.

Just saw on Twitter that the only others to hit that trifecta are Duke, Miami (FL), Texas A&M, Texas Tech and UConn. So you're probably right. DiehardUte can clarify on the gymnastics part of it.

If you haven't been, a trip to Swayze field in Oxford is a must.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Gotta imagine there's an SEC school or two that can make the same claim. That's easily the best gymnastics league in the country.
    Yeah they are good.

They've got a lot of talented athletes in their backyards and they have sun and warm weather. Gymnasts love that.

Utah - ole miss to extra innings tied up at 5.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Utes win!!! 6-5 in 10.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

That was pretty great. Boston college tomorrow!

Game on ESPNU right now

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Just discovered there's an ESPN app on our Xbox 1, so now I'm watching on my big screen in HD. Way better than watching on the laptop!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Just discovered there's an ESPN app on our Xbox 1, so now I'm watching on my big screen in HD. Way better than watching on the laptop!
    Wonder what the BC coach is so upset about.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wonder what the BC coach is so upset about.
    Seemed like he was mad about where our third base coach was standing.

Bummer of a game. Seemed we started well but lost our offense.

I used to live a few blocks away from Tulane's stadium. Went to a lot of games. It's the green waves best sport. I hope they pound on bc.