Thread: I'll call this the Mrs. Scorcho Incident

I'll call this the Mrs. Scorcho Incident

went to see the Conjuring 2 yesterday afternoon with my wife. Good show, scary and creepy (Rated R for good reason .. demons, possesion, etc). It was a little disheartening, a woman brought in a 3/4 year old girl and a 5/6 yr old boy and sat on the front row (clearly way too little for a show like that). Before the show started, my wife nudged me and asked me if she should approach the woman and volunteer to take the kids out and be with them, I said no don't worry about it.

The show ended and I had forgotten about the little kids on the front row, but my wife hadn't. As the lady was leaving my wife yelled to her, "next time maybe don't bring your little kids". Totally out of character for Mrs. Scorcho.
    The lady responded, "is it any business of yours""

Yikes, more words were said back and forth.

And it was on.

My wife got carried away and at one point I got between my wife and the other lady and was trying to calm them both down. Finally the lady left, and I stayed with my wife in the theater. One of the theater cleaners came up to my wife and said "good job".

Sigh, .... crazy, .... obviously my wife could have handled that better with what she said, but I'm proud that she said something.

Afterwards we took our dog to the dog park and Mrs Scorcho was sitting on the grass and a beautiful Husky came up to her, went around to her back and pee'd on her. Karma maybe
    Last edited by Scorcho; 06-11-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Your wife simply said what most people are thinking in situations like that. I hope it made the mother of the kids think about taking them to such movies. To me that is awfully close to child abuse.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    went to see the Conjuring 2 yesterday afternoon with my wife. Good show, scary and creepy (Rated R for good reason .. demons, possesion, etc). It was a little disheartening, a woman brought in a 3/4 year old girl and a 5/6 yr old boy and sat on the front row (clearly way too little for a show like that). Before the show started, my wife nudged me and asked me if she should approach the woman and volunteer to take the kids out and be with them, I said no don't worry about it.

The show ended and I had forgotten about the little kids on the front row, but my wife hadn't. As the lady was leaving my wife yelled to her, "next time maybe don't bring your little kids". Totally out of character for Mrs. Scorcho.

And it was on.

My wife got carried away and at one point I got between my wife and the other lady and was trying to calm them both down. Finally the lady left, and I stayed with my wife in the theater. One of the theater cleaners came up to my wife and said "good job".

Sigh, .... crazy, .... obviously my wife could have handled that better with what she said, but I'm proud that she said something.

Afterwards we took our dog to the dog park and Mrs Scorcho was sitting on the grass and a beautiful Husky came up to her, went around to her back and pee'd on her. Karma maybe
    Yeah I see stuff like that too and wonder if people are out of their minds. Glad your wife said something. Maybe mom will think twice next time if for nothing else to avoid the conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it was on.

The fact that my wife's mouth hasn't ever gotten me into an altercation with someone before is nothing short of a miracle.

-Im very thankful that my parents never took me to something like conjouring 2, my goodness. Id have gone nuts. Even as a mature (hahahahaha!) grown up, that stuff still makes me scared. Im glad your wife spoke up. Generally, Im a live and let live person, but yeah, calling out that kind of crap is perfect, IMO.

-I read somewhere (apologies if it was here and im stealing) that there were a number of parents who took their kids to deadpool not knowing anything about it, but assuming it was just another comic book movie. Like 7-8 year old. Boy were they in for a treat! A lot of these folks made a big protest about how it wasn't for kids and shame on marvel and fox......

Do they still make dunce caps?

I would think that the mom being kept up all night by her kids' nightmares will be punishment enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I would think that the mom being kept up all night by her kids' nightmares will be punishment enough.
    Yes!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

....As the lady was leaving my wife yelled to her, "next time maybe don't bring your little kids". ......
    The lady responded, "is it any business of yours"".......
    And the lady would be right. I'd file that firmly in the "Nunya" file, as in nunya business. None of your business, none of your wife's business, none of my business, and none of LA's business, even if you disagree with her crappy parenting. I'm sure your wife's heart was in the right place but sounds like she handled it about as callously as one could.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    ....... To me that is awfully close to child abuse.

If anyone there really believed that, they should've stepping in immediately or called the authorities. This sounds to me like nothing more than a case of being a busy body.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    And the lady would be right. I'd file that firmly in the "Nunya" file, as in nunya business. None of your business, none of your wife's business, none of my business, and none of LA's business, even if you disagree with her crappy parenting. I'm sure your wife's heart was in the right place but sounds like she handled it about as callously as one could.

If anyone there really believed that, they should've stepping in immediately or called the authorities. This sounds to me like nothing more than a case of being a busy body.
    I'm sticking by my story. Maybe Mrs. Scorcho should have kept her thoughts to herself (I would have) but my sympathies are with her and not with the mother of that child.

--Yeats

There is no way that movie alone can be considered child abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    There is no way that movie alone can be considered child abuse.
    Agreed. I said taking a kid to a horror movie "borders on child abuse." I used a tad of hyperbole. So sue me!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed. I said taking a kid to a horror movie "borders on child abuse." I used a tad of hyperbole. So sue me!
    Hyperbole has no place in this nation of outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hyperbole has no place in this nation of outrage.

That point of view is very close to Nazism.

--Yeats

I was in a McDonalds over the weekend and noticed an overweight mother feeding her young overweight children a Big Mac & fries. For some reason, this thread popped into my head. Would it be any different if I stood up from across the restaurant and loudly chastised the mother for contributing to the bad health of her kids? Seems like an apt comparison to me.

But, I'm basically libertarian -- leave people alone unless there's a legitimate reason to become involved -- plus I wouldn't want the clucking hens to peck at me for every parenting mistake Ive made. Bottom line: This, along with most of what happens around me, was none of my business either.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.