Thread: 2016 NBA Draft Thread

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Looking through some mocks, and listening to SoCalPat's old pal Chad Ford on with OC and Swinney the other day, it appears Poeltl goes anywhere from 9-14. I read that Larry will be attending the draft in person with Jakob and his group. The NBA draft is much more fascinating to me when a Ute is involved. When a Ute has a real shot at ending up on the Jazz, that is even more interesting.

The trib put together a 20 page "draft guide" that is fun to look through for anyone interested. http://local.sltrib.com/online/jazzsm.pdf

Couple of other notes:

-The 76ers have already announced that theyll be taking Ben Simmons with the first overall pick. Im actually amazed they didn't find a way to blow that pick, but Simmons has perennial superstar potential.
    -Joel Bolomboy from Weber is likely to get drafted. He would be the second wildcat taken in 5 years.......not too shabby.
    -Im kind of surprised that there is no talk of Kyle Collinsworth getting drafted. Sure, there are plenty of negatives there, but I think there are enough positives that someone with multiple second rounders would take a flyer on him. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Looking through some mocks, and listening to SoCalPat's old pal Chad Ford on with OC and Swinney the other day, it appears Poeltl goes anywhere from 9-14. I read that Larry will be attending the draft in person with Jakob and his group. The NBA draft is much more fascinating to me when a Ute is involved. When a Ute has a real shot at ending up on the Jazz, that is even more interesting.

The trib put together a 20 page "draft guide" that is fun to look through for anyone interested. http://local.sltrib.com/online/jazzsm.pdf

Couple of other notes:

-The 76ers have already announced that theyll be taking Ben Simmons with the first overall pick. Im actually amazed they didn't find a way to blow that pick, but Simmons has perennial superstar potential.
    -Joel Bolomboy from Weber is likely to get drafted. He would be the second wildcat taken in 5 years.......not too shabby.
    -Im kind of surprised that there is no talk of Kyle Collinsworth getting drafted. Sure, there are plenty of negatives there, but I think there are enough positives that someone with multiple second rounders would take a flyer on him. Oh well.
    Would it be tacky for Larry to hold up a sign that says "2016-17 Scholly's still available!"?

I read somewhere that Philly is also interested in trading Okafor for the Celtics pick at #3.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Would it be tacky for Larry to hold up a sign that says "2016-17 Scholly's still available!"?

I read somewhere that Philly is also interested in trading Okafor for the Celtics pick at #3.
    I love drafts. I watched exactly 0 Nuggets games this year, but I love to think that someone exciting might be coming to town. Trade rumors are great fun too, even if 99% of them go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I love drafts. I watched exactly 0 Nuggets games this year, but I love to think that someone exciting might be coming to town. Trade rumors are great fun too, even if 99% of them go nowhere.
    The best sporting event of my life not involving the utes was attending the 2004 draft in person. The jazz wasted their picks on Humphries and Snyder, but the atmosphere was a combination of a circus and frat party. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The best sporting event of my life not involving the utes was attending the 2004 draft in person. The jazz wasted their picks on Humphries and Snyder, but the atmosphere was a combination of a circus and frat party. Amazing.
    Something tells me my experience would be different at the Nuggets party tomorrow.

Something tells me my experience would be different at the Nuggets party tomorrow.
    Oh man, yes. Attending a team's draft party and attending the actual draft is like going from Jr High to the pros.

The Wizards don't currently have a pick...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Well, you can forget the Jakob to the Jazz talk, as the Jazz have (yeah, thats right, losers who follow the AP style book to a T, I just said "Jazz have" instead of "Jazz has" because "Jazz has" sounds horrible) traded the 12 pick for George Hill.

Well, you can forget the Jakob to the Jazz talk, as the Jazz have (yeah, thats right, losers who follow the AP style book to a T, I just said "Jazz have" instead of "Jazz has" because "Jazz has" sounds horrible) traded the 12 pick for George Hill.
    Is that a good trade? A 12th pick rarely turns into anything, but on the other hand, George Hill isn't anything special, right?

Is that a good trade? A 12th pick rarely turns into anything, but on the other hand, George Hill isn't anything special, right?

I think this trade is a message to Hayward, Favors, Gobert, etc., that they should stick around because we are going to compete and not be perpetually rebuilding and having a point guard who cant get you the ball and take the pressure of of you (esp. Hayward; his game really suffers with a crappy point guard).

I wonder if it says anything about Exum's progress? They say it is going swimmingly, but who knows.

My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think this trade is a message to Hayward, Favors, Gobert, etc., that they should stick around because we are going to compete and not be perpetually rebuilding and having a point guard who cant get you the ball and take the pressure of of you (esp. Hayward; his game really suffers with a crappy point guard).

I wonder if it says anything about Exum's progress? They say it is going swimmingly, but who knows.

My $.02.

Hayward just purchased my friend's house. It's a nice house so he paid a ton for it. I don't think he would have purchased the home had he been unhappy with the Jazz organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Hayward just purchased my friend's house. It's a nice house so he paid a ton for it. I don't think he would have purchased the home had he been unhappy with the Jazz organization.

He and George Hill supposedly are good friends too. but Hayward also bought a $7.5 million house in Rancho Santa Fe a year ago, too.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He and George Hill supposedly are good friends too. but Hayward also bought a $7.5 million house in Rancho Santa Fe a year ago, too.

He didn't pay close to that much for this house. But if San Diego is his place, he's probably not too anxious to head east.

As seen on the espn scroll: "Utah C Jakob Poeltel has the lowest bust potential of any prospect in the last 5 drafts according to espn stats and analytics"

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    As seen on the espn scroll: "Utah C Jakob Poeltel has the lowest bust potential of any prospect in the last 5 drafts according to espn stats and analytics"

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Don't jinx him!

Larry was on with Bill yesterday afternoon to talk about the finals, jakob, and the roster changes. Unfortunately, news of the George Hill trade broke during the interview and bill switched to that at the end instead of asking about the roster....

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...coach-6-22-16/

Bill has Larry tell the story of getting drafted every year, and every year I enjoy hearing it. This time was extra funny with Bill giving him some crap about the Sabonis family.

Anyway, the Jazz trading the 12th pick has caused some crazy shifts in the mock draft world. Nbadraft.net has Jakob falling all the way to 16 (a steal for the Celtics if that happens). Draft Express bumped him up to 9.

Anyway, the Jazz trading the 12th pick has caused some crazy shifts in the mock draft world. Nbadraft.net has Jakob falling all the way to 16 (a steal for the Celtics if that happens). Draft Express bumped him up to 9.
    I know he would get paid less initially, but falling out of the lottery can have its advantages. Playing for Stevens would probably be a plus, and he would go to a team where he could make an immediate difference. In the lotto, you potentially end up on a mess of a franchise with no hope for development where all you learn is how to not care about losing.

Larry was on with Bill yesterday afternoon to talk about the finals, jakob, and the roster changes. Unfortunately, news of the George Hill trade broke during the interview and bill switched to that at the end instead of asking about the roster....

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...coach-6-22-16/

Bill has Larry tell the story of getting drafted every year, and every year I enjoy hearing it. This time was extra funny with Bill giving him some crap about the Sabonis family.

A lot depends on what Atlanta does. There was talk they were getting the pick to trade it. But Chad Ford's latest mock has them taking Jakob at 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford has another mock out now with Jakob to Toronto at 9

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Ford has another mock out now with Jakob to Toronto at 9

Keepin the #UtesInTheNba together! Id love to see that!

Keepin the #UtesInTheNba together! Id love to see that!
    Boom!

Boom!
    And Chad Ford doesn't like it, which is a great sign for Poeltl and the Raptors.

And Chad Ford doesn't like it, which is a great sign for Poeltl and the Raptors.
    Just wait until Jakob plays well, Chad will go back and move him up his Big Board, like he always does.

I am kind of puzzled though. The raptors have Jonas Valuncunias, who is a pretty good center.

I am kind of puzzled though. The raptors have Jonas Valuncunias, who is a pretty good center.
    Toronto was one of the best teams in the NBA, right? They probably figured their starting lineup was close to set.

Every year, there is some conference player of the year from a major conference who goes towards the end of the first round and then ends up contributing immediately. Brice Johnson to the Clippers.

On Wednesday night, the Jazz owned picks 12, 42, and 60. By thursday night, they had turned that into George Hill, 52, 55, 60, and some cash for the arena renovations. I think Joel Bolomboy from Weber at 52 was a terrific pick. The other two? Looks like they will be on the Utah Stars, if they make it that far.

On Wednesday night, the Jazz owned picks 12, 42, and 60. By thursday night, they had turned that into George Hill, 52, 55, 60, and some cash for the arena renovations. I think Joel Bolomboy from Weber at 52 was a terrific pick. The other two? Looks like they will be on the Utah Stars, if they make it that far.
    Sounds good to me. I don't follow the Jazz, but I do follow Tony Jones on twitter for some reason. He keeps saying the roster is mostly set. If that's the case, losing the two first round picks isn't a bad idea.

Second round picks are throwaway picks. If any of the three contribute, it's a surprise and a bonus.

This is what makes the NBA draft such a great live event: http://theundefeated.com/features/nb...with-the-fans/