Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Preseason Thread

2016 Preseason Thread

With the Pac-12 media poll out (Utes picked 3rd in south), we can start an actual preseason thread, right?

Here's the poll:

North:

Cards
    Huskies
    Ducks
    Cougars
    Bears
    Beavs

South:

Bruins
    Trojans
    Utes
    'cats
    Devils
    Buffs

South is wide open. If Troy Williams to Tim Patrick is a thing, we are right in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    With the Pac-12 media poll out (Utes picked 3rd in south), we can start an actual preseason thread, right?

Here's the poll:

North:

Cards
    Twitter says this is the first time Stanford has ever been picked to win the conference. Let's hope they blow it!

Pac-12 media days today and tomorrow. The only intrigue I have with these things is to see which local media member will win the annual Kevin Graham award as the person who tries to hijack Pac-12 media days and turn it into a BYU-utah conversation. My money is on one of the KFAN guys, with anyone at 1280 close behind.

BYU's schedule in September year almost looks like they are a junior member of the PAC-12. Their first three games are against PAC-12 teams.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

It's nice to see us getting some respect from the media members. I'm a bit surprised that we were picked ahead of both Arizona schools give our struggles against them. Now we've got to go out and prove it!

In re-watching the Michigan game yesterday, it made me realize that we'll have some serious depth at TE if those guys can stay healthy. If we don't run Joe Williams into the ground and offer a nice 1-2 punch with him and McCormick on the inside/outside game, I think the offense could really pop. To say nothing of Moss. Here's hoping.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    BYU's schedule in September year almost looks like they are a junior member of the PAC-12. Their first three games are against PAC-12 teams.
    That is one set of games when even Sancho will be cheering for the PAC-12 teams to win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The one good thing about the Y getting in would be that they would have a lot less incentive to schedule us in football, and even in basketball. If they only have 3 slots in Sept. for non-conference games, they aren't going to want to use one on us every year, and they aren't going to want to over-schedule. Maybe their pre-season bb sched will look like ours this year. Maybe we could go our separate ways (my preference for the last 6 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That is one set of games when even Sancho will be cheering for the PAC-12 teams to win.
    Go wildcats! I'll always root against BYU, but it would be especially nice of them to lose this season. if they go 6-6 or better in year 1 of Sitake, they will be even less fun than usual to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The one good thing about the Y getting in would be that they would have a lot less incentive to schedule us in football, and even in basketball. If they only have 3 slots in Sept. for non-conference games, they aren't going to want to use one on us every year, and they aren't going to want to over-schedule. Maybe their pre-season bb sched will look like ours this year. Maybe we could go our separate ways (my preference for the last 6 years.)
    The Y will never get into the Pac. Hell will freeze over first.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

They asked Justin Thomas who the toughest guy on the team to cover was and he said that for him at least, it was Corey Butler-Byrd. He said he's got a similar skill set to Covey. I think we've seen flashes with him. Kyle didn't even get asked a defensive question in the sit down interview with the Pac 12 Network guys. All about the throw game this pre-season.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

When does fall practice begin? I could google it, but I am too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    When does fall practice begin? I could google it, but I am too lazy.
    Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a conversation about RBs earlier today, Kyle Goon mentioned there's one that he can name yet. Is this confirmation of the Charles West rumor that was floating around earlier this year?

That depends. We're all of the charges dropped? If so, then welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    In a conversation about RBs earlier today, Kyle Goon mentioned there's one that he can name yet. Is this confirmation of the Charles West rumor that was floating around earlier this year?

Did he mention the JUCO kid, Armand Shyne, from the same JC as Booker?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Did he mention the JUCO kid, Armand Shyne, from the same JC as Booker?
    I thought about that kid but discounted it because I couldn't figure out a reason why he wouldn't be able to mention him by name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From ESPN's Pac 12 Blog: 3 Questions Heading into Fall Camp:

1. The backup? The rookie? Or the transfer?OK, that's sort of three questions within one. But everyone knows exactly what we're talking about. The Utes need to find a way to score more points. But before they can do that, they need to find the quarterback to run the offense. That could be Troy Williams (the transfer), Brandon Cox (the backup) or Tyler Huntley (the rookie). Several of Utah's coaches have told me they'd love to be able to redshirt Huntley. But if he's the best guy for the job, they have no trouble throwing him in the mix right away. And there were times during the spring when he looked game-ready. Williams had an early leg up in the spring because of his Pac-12 experience (previously at Washington), but an injury forced him out of the second half of camp. Cox showed glimpses during the spring game and he knows the system. This should be one of the most interesting QB races in the league to follow.

2. Who will catch it?
    After picking a quarterback, the coaches will have to decide a pecking order for the receivers. Head coach Kyle Whittingham has made no secrets about Utah's lackluster passing attack. He's called it his team's Achilles' heel. And in a league that's very aggressive offensively, the ability to stretch the field is a necessity.Tyrone Smith and Tim Patrick check in on the preseason depth chart as the starting receivers, with Cory Butler-Byrd in the slot. That has the potential to be a solid starting trio. But the depth behind them, coupled with the unknown at quarterback, makes this a suspect position group until we're able to see all of the pieces in place during an actual football game.

3. Will the defense have to carry the offense again?
    The Utes offense (which is also replacing workhorse running back Devontae Booker with Joe Williams, who has plenty of big-play potential) will get a one-week tune-up against Southern Utah in its opener before hosting BYU. The offensive line is solid, but the surrounding pieces (as noted above) are riddled with questions. That most likely puts the pressure on the defense to again perform. The Utes boast one of the best defensive lines in the country -- headlined by defensive tackle Lowell Lotulelei. The secondary is experienced. And while there are replacements needed in the linebacking corps, Whittingham said he feels good about the way the group performed in spring. Remember, the Utes were second nationally in turnovers forced with 34 and first among all Power 5 teams. The offense leaned on the defense last season to get them the ball back. Will that be the case again?

A couple of pump up videos have come out the last couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I changed it to 2016 Preseason Thread and will close the Pre-Preseason Thread. Our house here is a house of order!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    From ESPN's Pac 12 Blog: 3 Questions Heading into Fall Camp:
    I'll answer these:

1. Williams
    2. The tight ends!
    3. Absolutely! That's how we Utes roll.

A couple of pump up videos have come out the last couple days.
    That was one wicked juke by Butler-Byrd in one practice shot.

https://youtu.be/vCcOj4YHFl4?t=66

I laughed when they zoomed in on the BYU player acting like Williams didn't get in.

Stewart Mandel ranks Utah 17th:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...ichigan-080316

5 PAC-12 teams in his top 25.

--Yeats

Football quotes, just for fun:

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football" - John Heisman

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." – Bear Bryant / Alabama

"It isn't necessary to see a good tackle, you can hear it!” - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money, and we don't have any." – Erik Russell / Georgia Southern

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz / Arkansas - Notre Dame

"When you win, nothing hurts." - Joe Namath / Alabama

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." - Frank Leahy / Notre Dame

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." - Woody Hayes / Ohio State

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." - Bob Devaney / Nebraska

In Alabama, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant." - Wally Butts /Georgia

"I never graduated from Iowa. But I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's." – Alex Karras / Iowa

My advice to defensive players is to take the shortest route to the ball, and arrive in a bad humor." - Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee

"I could have been a Rhodes Scholar except for my grades." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

"Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David." - Shug Jordan / Auburn

"I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me ." He said, "Well, Walt, we took a look at you, and you weren't any good." - Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel." - Bobby Bowden / Florida State

"Football is NOT a contact sport, it is a collision sport. Dancing IS a contact sport." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his post-game message to his team was, "All those who need showers, take them." - John McKay / USC

"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education." Murray Warmath / Minnesota

"The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb. To be a back, you only have to be dumb." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches." - Darrell Royal / Texas

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking." - John McKay / USC

I've found that prayers work best when you have big players." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

Ohio State's Urban Meyer on one of his players: "He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words."

Why do Tennessee fans wear orange? So they can dress that way for the game on Saturday, go hunting on Sunday, and pick up trash on Monday.

What does the average Alabama player get on his SATs? Drool.

How many Michigan freshmen football players does it take to change a light bulb? None. That's a sophomore course.

How did the Auburn football player die from drinking milk? The cow fell on him.

Two Texas A&M football players were walking in the woods. One of them said, "Look, a dead bird." The other looked up in the sky and said, "Where?" (Must have been Tony?)

What do you say to a Michigan State University football player dressed in a three-piece suit? " "Will the defendant please rise."

If three Florida State football players are in the same car, who is driving? The police officer.

How can you tell if a Clemson football player has a girlfriend? There's tobacco juice on both sides of the pickup truck.

What do you get when you put 32 Arkansas cheerleaders in one room? A full set of teeth.

University of Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh is only going to dress half of his players for the game this week; the other half will have to dress themselves.

How is the Kansas football team like an opossum? They play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Why did the Nebraska linebacker steal a police car? He saw "911" on the side and thought it was a Porsche.

How do you get a former Illinois football player off your porch? Pay him for the pizza.

--Yeats

Butler-Byrd suspended indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Butler-Byrd suspended indefinitely.
    Just saw that on twitter....
    Dang. Hope he can get things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just saw that on twitter....
    Dang. Hope he can get things right.
    Yeah, I hope it isn't anything that will affect him long term.

In the meantime, who is our next best deep threat? Young?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yeah, I hope it isn't anything that will affect him long term.

In the meantime, who is our next best deep threat? Young?
    I heard he was going to be suspended as well (for the assault incident earlier in the year), though if he is I assume it would only be for one game or so.
    We're up to snuff, we never bluff, we're game for any fuss. Or at least we used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I heard he was going to be suspended as well (for the assault incident earlier in the year), though if he is I assume it would only be for one game or so.
    I think you're thinking of Kenric Young who was involved in the assault incident (pool party scuffle). To my knowledge CBB hasn't been involved in any incidents that have been made public.