Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

Do we have a 2016 Utah football season thread? If so, this should go there instead.

Updated ESPN FPI percentages:

SUU - 96%. 1-0
    BYU - 64%. Down to 58%.
    San Jose State - 67%. Up to 78%.
    USC - 29%. Up to 52%. Almost doubled!
    Cal - 47%. Now 45%.
    Zona - 54%. Now 57%
    Oregon St - 69%. Now 68%
    UCLA - 20%. Down to 19%?
    UW - 34%. Down to 29%.
    ASU - 49%. Now 47%
    Oregon - 50%. Up to 56% for some reason.
    CU - 56%. Down to 41%.

Three %'s changed by double digits.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do we have a 2016 Utah football season thread? If so, this should go there instead.
    As you wish.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

I prefer this Massey outlook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Laughably Early Bowl Projections: Utah to Sun Bowl.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...wl-projections

We fell to #43 in the FPI

SUU - 96%. 1-0
    BYU - 64%. 58%. 2-0
    San Jose State - 67%. 78%. Falls to 72% for some reason.
    USC - 29%. 52%. Falls to 39%.
    Cal - 47%. 45%. Steady at 42%.
    Zona - 54%. 57%. Up to 66%.
    Oregon St - 69%. 68%. Steady at 65%
    UCLA - 20%. 19%. Down slightly to 17%
    UW - 34%. 29%. Dropping 23%.
    ASU - 49%. 47%. Big drop to 37%
    Oregon - 50%. 56%. Steady at 51%
    CU - 56%. 41%. Down again to 34%.
    That's what a win over BYU gets us, I guess.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We fell to #43 in the FPI

SUU - 96%. 1-0
    BYU - 64%. 58%. 2-0
    San Jose State - 67%. 78%. Falls to 72% for some reason.
    USC - 29%. 52%. Falls to 39%.
    Cal - 47%. 45%. Steady at 42%.
    Zona - 54%. 57%. Up to 66%.
    Oregon St - 69%. 68%. Steady at 65%
    UCLA - 20%. 19%. Down slightly to 17%
    UW - 34%. 29%. Dropping 23%.
    ASU - 49%. 47%. Big drop to 37%
    Oregon - 50%. 56%. Steady at 51%
    CU - 56%. 41%. Down again to 34%.
    These percentages are fun but worthless. Is UCLA that good? Only a 17% chance of winning that game? And I doubt Oregon is a pick'em game--take the money on the ducks.

So Kyle has 97 wins? I think the 100 win mark, if it comes at either USC or Cal, should be the time for the lifetime contract.

Actually, mid season is a bad time for it, but after a bowl win would be the perfect time. The lifetime contract is a mutual symbol of loyalty. Whitt tells us he won't leave for another job, and we tell him we won't bail after after a couple of poor seasons. We tell recruits that we are a program of stability.
    Assuming we win this week, USC would be 99...so first opportunity for 100 would be Cal, then Arizona, etc.

I remember when Majerus won his 400th...it was a Big Monday game and I think it was on the road vs. Wyoming. Would be cool for Whit to be recognized at home...but hopefully win 100 comes @ Cal.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think in order for us to win the south, we need to hit a couple of benchmarks:

1 - we need to average 34 points per game. Reality: 22. Status: Failing.
    2 - we need to average 225 yards passing per game. Reality: 246 yards. Status: Achieving.
    3 - we need to average <1 TO per game. Reality: 3.5. Status: FAILING.
    4 - we need to force >2 TO per game. Reality: 2.5. Status: Achieving.
    5 - we need to average 175 yards rushing per game. Reality: 153. Status: Failing.
    6 - we need to average >4.8 yards per carry. Reality: 3.9. Status: FAILING.
    7 - we need to hold opponents to less than 120 yards rushing per game. Reality: 129. Status: Failing.

So far: 2/7. Yikes.
    Previous Weeks: No previous weeks.

How do we sit?

1 - Goal: 34 points. Reality: 22 points. Yikes. We would need to get 58 points vs SJSU. The crazy thing? Now that Moss is healthy, if we can not friggin turn the ball over, we could get close to that. It would be nice to end the preseason with a great offensive performance. We've seen glimpses, it would be nice for the offense to put it all together.

2 - Goal: 225 yards passing. Reality: 246 yards. Not too bad. We had 194 yards passing vs BYU. Not too bad. Their defense is very solid.

3 - Goal: <1. Reality: 3.5 YIKES. This is our BIGGEST issue. We need to fix this big time. IF we can have zero vs SJSU, then our average would drop to 2.3. Better. This will be a tough whole to dig out of. If we can get under one TO per game on average for the season at this point...we will have won the south.

4 - Goal: Force >2 TO's. Reality. 2.5. We are doing ok here. We'd like to be higher. Not bad though.

5 - Goal: >175 yards rushing per game. Reality: 153.5. This is our second biggest problem. Our OL needs to get better. We had 169 yards rushing vs BYU. 138 vs SUU. So, at least we are getting better and I like the 169 vs BYU. We are improving. I'd expect us to have close to 300 yards this weekend after looking at what SJSU has done in the rush game defense so far this year. We need 300 to get to 218 to get our average where it should be. This is TOTALLY doable.

6 - Goal: >4.8 yards per carry. Reality: 3.9. OUCH. That sucks. The SUU game killed us. We averaged 3.7 yards/carry that game. That is terrible. 4 yards per carry vs BYU. Honestly, with how bad SJSU's run defense is, our goal should be over 5 yards per carry. Our goal should be 100 yards for Moss, McCormick AND Williams.

7 - Goal: <120 yards/game for opponents. Reality: 129 yards per game. I'm a little disappointed in this number. This number does not include sacks. SUU averaged 3.6 yards per carry. BYU averaged 5.3 yards per carry. That sucks.

Honestly, as of right now, we look like a 7 win team.

Here is how I break down a season: 6-7 wins = good year.
    8 wins = very good year
    9 wins and ranked = great year
    10 wins and ranked = fantastic year
    Win the south = amazingly fantastic year
    Win the PAC-12 = dream year.

If we want to get more than 7 wins, we need to clean up a lot, namely our run game and turnovers. If we can't run the ball better and stop turning the ball over, we will struggle big time vs teams like California, Colorado, ASU (pass heavy teams, where we need to run the ball to burn time and shorten the game) and will struggle big time vs Oregon, Washington, UCLA, USC.

We have potential, but we shouldn't be dreaming of winning the south at this point.
    Last edited by Utah; 09-12-2016 at 04:10 PM.

We will face 5-6 really good defenses thus year. And now we have put about 1.5 of them behind us.

USC, UCLA, UW, Colorado will be tough. We can handle the rest.

Fumblin' Joe must go 3 complete games with no fumbles to shed his nickname. What should the new name be once he's done it? I hope he earns the name touchdown joe.
    I think you keep it Fumblin Joe... because that is awesome if you never fumble.

Wow. Fitts done for the season and Joe Williams retires from football.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    And Butler-Byrd is reinstated

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And Butler-Byrd is reinstated
    I feel bad about Joe Williams. I wonder if something personal is going on with him. Kid has lots of talent. I'm also sorry for Fitts. Happy for Butler-Byrd.

--Yeats

They're hoping for a medical redshirt for Fitts.

EDIT: This is about Joe Williams.

Michelle Bodkin tweets:

Felt body could no longer handle the beating it once did. Will stick around and help the team in other capacities
    https://twitter.com/MBodkinScout/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-13-2016 at 06:53 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is this in relation to Joe Williams?

That's too bad. He was a talented kid.

Kyle Whittingham show on 700 is going to talk about this news now.

Joe came to Kyle and explained he hasn't felt like himself for 2-3 months. His body hurts and he just couldn't get his mind into the game because of that.

Kyle said after talking to Joe he completely understands his decision and supports him.

Kylie is having surgery, they're already working on his appeal.

Mokofisi, Bradley Anae and Chris Hart will be playing DE now.

Butler-Byrd is back, whether he plays depends on his state of readiness. He practiced well today.

He will be playing both receiver spots as well as return kicks.

He's done everything they've asked, still has some things he has to continue taking care of and they'll monitor that.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Is this in relation to Joe Williams?

That's too bad. He was a talented kid.
    Yes, it's about Joe. Sorry!

--Yeats

Joe on Joe.

This makes it easier to understand why he was playing so tentatively. He seems relieved. I'll miss him. I really like the guy.

--Yeats

Kylie getting a medical redshirt would ease the pain of some of the guys we lose next year.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Caleb Repp has been with the scout team and didn't dress on Sat.

I'm going out on a massive, thick, stable limb here and assuming he is redshirting this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Caleb Repp has been with the scout team and didn't dress on Sat.

I'm going out on a massive, thick, stable limb here and assuming he is redshirting this year.

Why the redshirt? Is he injured? Throughout spring and summer, he was one of our better receivers, wasnt he? Couldnt we use him if he were healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Why the redshirt? Is he injured? Throughout spring and summer, he was one of our better receivers, wasnt he? Couldnt we use him if he were healthy?
    My guess would be this: not athletic enough to play WR and we have better WR's than him.

This gives him a year to put on weight to play TE.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Kylie getting a medical redshirt would ease the pain of some of the guys we lose next year.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Kyle said it's not a slam dunk. How so?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Kyle said it's not a slam dunk. How so?
    The only time you're guaranteed (well all but guaranteed) is when you lose more than one year to an injury. Kylie played as a true freshman in 6 games, did not miss time due to injury.

Kylie used his redshirt to transfer, sitting out 2014. Played every game in 2015.

Medical slam dunks are more "I lost my redshirt year and this year due to injury". The U will have to argue that over the course of his career he's really only played 1.5 seasons so he deserves another year. It's probably a 50/50 chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The only time you're guaranteed (well all but guaranteed) is when you lose more than one year to an injury. Kylie played as a true freshman in 6 games, did not miss time due to injury.

Kylie used his redshirt to transfer, sitting out 2014. Played every game in 2015.

Medical slam dunks are more "I lost my redshirt year and this year due to injury". The U will have to argue that over the course of his career he's really only played 1.5 seasons so he deserves another year. It's probably a 50/50 chance.

Was a similar argument with Tevin Carter I would imagine? Seems like the U has been good at getting these things through. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Was a similar argument with Tevin Carter I would imagine? Seems like the U has been good at getting these things through. Here's hoping.
    Yes and no. Carter had the JC's in the mix as well, and he didn't play a down for Cal originally.

And remember, Carter was denied 3 times, it was his final appeal where he won. So it's going to take some work from compliance.