Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What? Didn't play call?
    He's been hearing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll admit I was skeptical about this hire, but the more I read about it the more I like it. A balanced passing game (which sounds like his speciality) with a solid running game and it could be something great. It also might help us land some decent QBs which we have struggled with. Taylor held the Cal passing record until Goff broke it last year and played pro ball and even has some FBS coaching experience long long ago.

This is also outside of the 'Whittingham coaching circle" that we are frustrated about him constantly hiring from. It should be interesting. Count me in as one who is excited about the potential here.

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    HA! That was a huge miss. I had just finished reading Kyle's twitter rants about how Taylor didn't even play call at EWU when I posted that. Yes, Quinton Ganther. NOT the radio guy.

I'll admit you had my eyes popping out for a few seconds there.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If this information came from anyone but Gunther i might give it some thought. Gunther is a troll.

I agree with Rocker. Troy Taylor was a very good QB, and was an assistant coach in the PAC-12 for Colorado and at CAL (under Tom Holmoe, incidentally). He was also a private QB coach, as he tutored Browning from 5th grade on.

However he isn't really outside of the Whittingham Rolodex, as Fred Whitt's kid played for him in HS.

We have tremendous talent coming up at QB (Huntley, Shelley, Tuttle). My hope is Taylor can train them the right way.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 01-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Maybe we got that 4* QB because he was promised a guy like Taylor would be turning him into Browning.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I agree with Rocker. Troy Taylor was a very good QB, and was an assistant coach in the PAC-12 for Colorado and at CAL (under Tom Holmoe, incidentally). He was also a private QB coach, as he tutored Browning from 5th grade on.

However he isn't really outside of the Whittingham Rolodex, as Fred Whitt's kid played for him in HS.

We have tremendous talent coming up at QB (Huntley, Shelley, Tuttle). My hope is Taylor can train them the right way.
    Fred's kid played for him, but Fred has said he had no part in this other than Kyle asked him for his phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Fred's kid played for him, but Fred has said he had no part in this other than Kyle asked him for his phone number.

I don't disagree. I am just saying this hire was not completely out of left field without some prior knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I don't disagree. I am just saying this hire was not completely out of left field without some prior knowledge.
    No, but he's certainly not part of Kyle's circle

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No, but he's certainly not part of Kyle's circle

Right. I like it. An encouraging sign.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Kyle Goon tweet:

Troy Taylor: When Kyle hired me, it was with the understanding that I'm going to do what I do, and teach the system I've evolved.

--Yeats

Taylor's offensive plays at EWU were 60-40 pass-run. At Utah it was 60-40 run-pass. It will be interesting to see how that balance works out at Utah next season.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Taylor's offensive plays at EWU were 60-40 pass-run. At Utah it was 60-40 run-pass. It will be interesting to see how that balance works out at Utah next season.
    With any luck, that will average out to 50/50.

With any luck, that will average out to 50/50.
    I was thinking the same thing.

--Yeats

During the season somebody was asking when we get the annual big surprising win. Turns out it was USC all along. That game wound up being one of the greats in the school's history. A top 5 for Whittingham.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ar/2016/week/1
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    During the season somebody was asking when we get the annual big surprising win. Turns out it was USC all along. That game wound up being one of the greats in the school's history. A top 5 for Whittingham.

That game also showed us a glimpse of what Troy Williams could be for us. The way he engineered those second half drives was impressive. I'm not sure if we had a game this year where both Joe and Troy were on point at the same time (maybe ASU, but that was a slow start)...if that had happened...Whoa Nelly.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

A signature win.

I was there to see it!

--Yeats

Final AP poll:

3 --
    USC Trojans
    4 -- Washington Husky Football
    12 -- Stanford Football
    17 -- Colorado Buffaloes Football
    23 -- Utah Football

The PAC-12 did well. And our Utes were part of that performance.

--Yeats

Final AP poll:

3 --
    USC Trojans
    12 -- Stanford Football
    23 -- Utah Football

CU deserves better, and Stanford deserves worse.

CU deserves better, and Stanford deserves worse.
    That Stanford ranking is a real head scratcher.

Final AP poll:

3 --
    USC Trojans
    12 -- Stanford Football
    23 -- Utah Football

What were we ranked before our bowl game? It's like we were punished for playing INdiana close. Apparently the voters didn't watch much of Utah this year; EVERY game is close.

Were we not ranked in the AP poll heading into bowl season?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Were we not ranked in the AP poll heading into bowl season?

no.

Is no. 19 the final ranking in BCS? Will there be a USA Today poll?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What were we ranked before our bowl game? It's like we were punished for playing INdiana close. Apparently the voters didn't watch much of Utah this year; EVERY game is close.
    They also didn't watch Indiana who really didn't get blown out, their worst loss being 21 to Ohio State, with it being a one TD game until 4 minutes left in the third. They led Penn State with 4 minutes left before collapsing and led Michigan late in the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    That Stanford ranking is a real head scratcher.

No it's not. Stanford won its bowl game and also beat up on USC. Colorado is ranked too high. It got creamed in its bowl. I've got no respect for programs like CU and Wazu that treat the bowl like a vacation. They should be punished in the final rankings.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

'My Sister's Keeper': How stepping away from football helped Utah's Joe Williams cope with sister's death

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...raft/97995946/

--Yeats

'My Sister's Keeper': How stepping away from football helped Utah's Joe Williams cope with sister's death

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...raft/97995946/
    That is a great story.

Also in Joe news, he is apparently running in the 4.2s in training. I wish him well!