Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Isaac Johnson
    6'9" PF
    American Fork HS

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_a...7?referrer_id=

Offered by BYU as well.

Listed in 247Sports as #35 in their top 10 for 2019.

http://247sports.com/Season/2019-Bas...oup=HighSchool

Brandon Carlson. A 6'10" 2017 prospect who will go on his mission and come back for 2019.

Offers from Stanford, UCLA, and BYU. A great pickup!

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...randen-carlson

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4739919...ings-potential

Cool article on Rylan Jones, who many assume will be a Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Brandon Carlson. A 6'10" 2017 prospect who will go on his mission and come back for 2019.

Offers from Stanford, UCLA, and BYU. A great pickup!

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...randen-carlson
    His highlights:

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_a...2?referrer_id=

The way this kid moves reminds me of Poeltl.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My goodness.

He makes Krystkowiak look short.

My goodness.

He makes Krystkowiak look short.

...and fat. Branden is what my mom would call a "string bean."

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    ...and fat. Branden is what my mom would call a "string bean."
    Of course that is Larry sans thyroid.

American Fork's Isaac Johnson getting some run.

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/01/pl...isaac-johnson/

Rylan Jones officially commits to Utah.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Though this was expected, its certainly nice to see. Legitimate top 100 talent. Looking forward to seeing him on the team in a couple of years! Now..........come on Matt Mitchell..............

A 4-star PG. Cool. (Rylan Jones from Olympus High.) Scout has him the #12 best PG and #65 overall best player. 2019 commit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A 4-star PG. Cool. (Rylan Jones from Olympus High.) Scout has him the #12 best PG and #65 overall best player. 2019 commit.

He plays the game the right way. Love, love, love how he plays as a point guard.

His only challenge will be defense. Who does he defend and how does he defend? Not very big.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

A "quiet" commitment, with little fanfare.....

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/08...d-rylan-jones/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Cassius Stanley seems amazing. Great hops and overall athleticism. This is a video from when he was in 9th grade.

Cassius Stanley seems amazing. Great hops and overall athleticism. This is a video from when he was in 9th grade.
    Is he looking at Utah? If he's at Harvard-Westlake USC or UCLA will be all over him.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is he looking at Utah? If he's at Harvard-Westlake USC or UCLA will be all over him.
    He has offers from 6 P12 schools. Utah not among them so far.

2019 Recruiting Thread

This seems notable.

EDIT: Sorry, I’ve got all sorts of wires crossed on this. Move along!
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 01-18-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Matt Van Komen--Pleasant Grove 7'4" was at the UCLA game last night.

At halftime I walked up the stairs right behind him. It is hard to appreciate 7'4" until you stand close to him---his head barely cleared the top of the exit at the Hunty at the top of the stairs.
    Collette is listed at 6'10" --this kid is half a foot taller.
    He was sitting right behind Rylan Jones.
    They both were staying after the game after most people had left & were talking to each other---this would be Rylan's best assist--landing Van Komen.

You can't teach tall---some people say they want an athletic 6'10" over 7'4"--not so sure after seeing VK in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Matt Van Komen--Pleasant Grove 7'4" was at the UCLA game last night.

At halftime I walked up the stairs right behind him. It is hard to appreciate 7'4" until you stand close to him---his head barely cleared the top of the exit at the Hunty at the top of the stairs.
    Collette is listed at 6'10" --this kid is half a foot taller.
    He was sitting right behind Rylan Jones.
    They both were staying after the game after most people had left & were talking to each other---this would be Rylan's best assist--landing Van Komen.

You can't teach tall---some people say they want an athletic 6'10" over 7'4"--not so sure after seeing VK in person.
    I have read that he is leaning Gonzaga (maybe strongly), but there is still a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have read that he is leaning Gonzaga (maybe strongly), but there is still a long way to go.
    Hopefully someone pointed out that while we were playing a meaningful late-season game against UCLA last night, Gonzaga was playing a completely meaningless game against San Fransisco, Pepperdine or Santa Clara.

Sounds like he was there again yesterday. Signing him would put us at +2 for 2019. Long time before then but I'm not sure which two you boot. But, at the end of the day, you do what you gotta do!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I'm not sure which two you boot.
    Two is easy - Jokl and Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Two is easy - Jokl and Caldwell.
    Jokl probably goes this year to solve our +1 problem. Still at plus 2 in 2019. Wouldn't surprise me to see an end of the bench wing transfer and get replaced by a grad transfer center.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Jokl probably goes this year to solve our +1 problem. Still at plus 2 in 2019. Wouldn't surprise me to see an end of the bench wing transfer and get replaced by a grad transfer center.
    Oh, I see. You did say 2019. That's too far off for me to speculate.

Ute 2019 pg recruit rylan Jones leads Olympus to state championship.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Jones is your 2017 Mr. Basketball.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...asketball.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Jones is your 2017 Mr. Basketball.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...asketball.html

Kansas State is getting a good one in 2020

Rylan is lighting it up on an AAU team with Isaac Johnson, Van Komen & Larry K's 2 sons. Rylan is leading scorer & plays the most minutes. Johnson & Van Komen have about equal minutes & Stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Rylan is lighting it up on an AAU team with Isaac Johnson, Van Komen & Larry K's 2 sons. Rylan is leading scorer & plays the most minutes. Johnson & Van Komen have about equal minutes & Stats.
    Forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but what is the deal with Larry's sons? Are they D1 prospects? Are they the Jake Connors of the next generation? Would they want to play for their dad or go form their own identity?