Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Trojan War - Utah vs. USC 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Let's sit back and realize something. We have a QB. An actual QB that can make throws and move the offense. We have him for another season too.

Our offense can make plays to win a game with him. Williams grew up a ton last night. Steve Smiths cousin is legit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I'm not ready to proclaim all is well at that position just yet, but I am hopeful. Keep in mind years of being a Ute fan has conditioned me to think things like that the final USC circus play was going to likely result in a USC TD.

Not to shoehorn this but it just reminds me of the mental job that Dave Christensen did to Travis Wilson that in my opinion ruined him as a QB forever. I'm glad Howdy Doody Time is long gone.

I'm also very glad Williams has guys coaching him that continue to show confidence in him despite some big mental lapses the first three games. To my knowledge there were no mental lapses this game, just some inaccurate passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    “We lost this game,” running back Justin Davis said. “Utah didn’t win.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la...nap-story.html

LOL. Come on, Justin. Man up.
    I agree with Chase Hansen. USC is definitely the BEST 1-3 team in the country. lol.

Well, maybe until later today, that is...

USC is still super dangerous. Now I want them to turn that 1-3 start into an 8-4 season, to roll through the South, and soften up UW for us.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    One more year where I wish we had a passing game. Sigh.
    I posted this at halftime. Boy did I speak too soon. Our passing game, our quarterback, our receivers, and probably are coordinators really came of age last night. What a second half.

Short and sweet thoughts:

- Offense bailed out the D. Wow. Credit to USC for not disintegrating. Sam Darnold is a talent, and they have the names we'll see on Sundays. A lot of homework for Scalley.

- Gameball - Troy Williams.

- Gameball - Guy Holliday. Tim Patrick and CBB were the known threats. Raelon made a huge leap up, Simpkins caught a dart from Troy in heavy traffic. Sioasi Wilson, Fulks, Tyrone when he gets back, all can make key catches and make plays. I don't remember ever having this many threats and contributors.

- Gameball - ARod. Brilliant game plan, great play calling. Those of us who know ARod have always known he could be really, really good, with the right ingredients. So nice to see.

- Gameball - OL and Jim Harding. Harding and Jason Thompson are the very welcome leftovers from the Dave Christensen debacle.

Geez - I just gave out four game balls - all deserved.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-24-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Interesting parallels to the game two years ago:

-Adoree Jackson returns a kickoff for a TD again
    -Fumble at the end zone by Utah - last time the Patrick fumble is recovered by SC, this time we recover it
    -Utah quarterback leads a final drive for the winning touchdown (let's not forget that Travis had his moments)
    -Tim Patrick redemption - fumbled at the goal line last time he played USC; beats them with the pattern and catch of the game

Some continue to express hesitancy about Troy Williams. I don't get it. He's looked the part and gotten better every game. In this one, he got better against a serious step up in competition. Time and time again last night Williams had to throw darts. For the most part, the receivers made the plays just as a firm tackle/hit was made. The physicality of SC's 'backers and dbs really impresses me every time we play them. We dealt with it better than ever. What a game.

One of the commentators during post game last night said that Troy Williams most impressive throw was the one where he evaded pressure and was able to throw the ball into the stands without an intentional grounding. He said that throw saved the game, and showed Troy has matured since he threw those interceptions in the endzone.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-24-2016 at 11:23 AM.

I can see his pov. When you are up 24-10 late, you have a crucial ineligible receiver and p I calls on the last two drives, you give up two fourth downs badly and your d line disappears, I might feel the same way. Comment intended to get them back on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm stoked with the win. This is actually one of the first home games I haven't attended in over 14 years. Being sick, the rain and a piss-poor attitude resulted in me surrendering my seats to better people than me.

Box scores are virtually even with the two exceptions being time of possession and turnovers. A little like Brian Johnson, Troy Williams was great when we needed him to be.

Our WRs stepped up and are starting to run great routes to put them in positions to catch the ball. Thank you coach Halliday.

Our OL is finally starting to gel. They gave Williams protection and in the first half made the holes needed for our run game.

Interesting play calling. It seemed they went with something until USC could stop it and then would change. First half was run run run until they started stopping it. A little bit of the loss of production on the run has to do with Moss's conditioning.

Bolles leveling of the USC defender on the reverse may be my favorite play of the season thus far. Followed closely by Patrick's manhandling of Adore Jackson resulting in a lost shoe and a game winning touchdown. Yeah I know that should be it but it isn't. Go Bolles. I'll also chalk up that literal Jackson de-cleating to superior WR coaching.

It boils down to the better coached team won. The game plan was executed. Whit took some surprising risks but even if they didn't pay off I thought they were the right call. For example the second to last drive down by 10 and in field goal range on 4th and 1 he surprised me by going for it. It was the right call because we'd proven the ability to get short gains like that with relative ease and settling for a field goal would have kept momentum with USC.

Now as you'd expect from me, the gripes.

Like I said, Williams got it done when it counted but he needs to be way more accurate. For example that 4th and one in the last drive where Patrick caught it and fell out on the sideline? Patrick was in the right spot and open for a sure 1st down but had to correct and come way back just to catch a ball 3 yards underthrown. Watch the final drives and when Williams was missing he was WAY off.

Bolles has gotten a false start in every game I believe. Love the kid but that can't keep going, not at home.

Our D got schooled and that was hard to see. All year we've struggled to tackle on first contact. So many missed sacks and stuffed runs. We couldn't stop their run and we couldn't contain the passes. We lost a lot of those opportunities because we were going for a strip instead of a stop too. Yeah, I know they also caused three fumbles, but freaking wrap up and put your helmet on the ball.

Darnold looked legit for a freshman starting his first game. Wow.

The kickoff right to Adore Jackson was as dumb as kicking to Reggie Dunn. He knew it too, they showed in the replay. My kingdom for a guy who can consistently boot it out of the end zone.

Great win. LA Times is saying the better team lost. I don't know how you can say that. Play with a chip on your shoulder Utes. They still don't respect you.

Glad to be 4-0 and only two games away from bowl eligibility. Keep marching.

What the LA Times article actually said (contrary to the headline) is that USC is more talented. Never forget, in this conference week in and out Utah mostly plays more talented teams. And Whit is 23-7 since Chris Hill tried to fire him.

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What the LA Times article actually said (contrary to the headline) is that USC is more talented. Never forget, in this conference week in and out Utah mostly plays more talented teams. And Whit is 23-7 since Chris Hill tried to fire him.

That headline gets a "no duh!" from me. Usc is more talented than Utah? No shit.

I can see his pov. When you are up 24-10 late, you have a crucial ineligible receiver and p I calls on the last two drives, you give up two fourth downs badly and your d line disappears, I might feel the same way. Comment intended to get them back on their feet.
    Yeah, they should be disappointed. I get that. But I always try to say that when my team makes mistakes that costs them the game, that means they got outplayed. Usually the tema that makes the fewest mistakes wins.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Yeah, but that game was a gut punch for usc. On the road, New qb, rain, and you are still controlling the game. You seemingly can't be stopped. Then some things happen (the penalty on mama, the third down pi, all the 4th and shorts) and you lose the game when your lockdown db loses his shoe. I'm perfectly fine admitting we won one that we probably didn't deserve. A lot like 2 years ago, actually. But who cares? We won!

Was anybody else worried about our clock management from about 2 minutes in? We took about 30 to 45 seconds to get the touchdown play in. If we had not scored on that play I don't know if we would have had enough time to do anything else. And we have two timeouts left on the board.moo
    Last edited by concerned; 09-24-2016 at 12:12 PM.

This has a familiar ring to it, but I can't quite place it, like something from the distant past.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Was anybody else worried about our clock management from about 2 minutes in? We took about 30 to 45 seconds to get the touchdown play in. If we had not scored on that play I don't know if we would have had enough time to do anything else. And we have two timeouts left on the board.moo
    I was too busy worrying that Utah we would score too soon and give SC plenty of time to score.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

If the TD pass hadn't worked I think the next play would have been a FG.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This picture is great.

If the TD pass hadn't worked I think the next play would have been a FG.
    I think so too. But we deprived ourselves of possibly running 2 or 3 more plays before kicking.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-24-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I agree with Chase Hansen. USC is definitely the BEST 1-3 team in the country. lol.

Well, maybe until later today, that is...
    USC has probably played the toughest schedule in the country.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    USC has probably played the toughest schedule in the country.
    Their schedule for the year is rated the most difficult in the country

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That headline gets a "no duh!" from me. Usc is more talented than Utah? No shit.
    In addition to a "Thanks again for keeping your grubby hands off Whitt when you hired Helton..."

And an obligatory "Stay at Houston, Tom Herman!"

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think so. We didn't risk it all on fourth down to buy just one play. We had time and two time outs. We didn't even have to pass or go sideline.

I watched the drive a minute ago. Moss got the first down with :42 left. We had two timeouts. We could have taken a timeout there, or spiked the ball. Instead, we let the clock run way down. The announcer even said a lot of time is running off the clock. There were :16 seconds left after the touchdown. If that had been incomplete, we would have had time for maybe two pass plays on second and third, and kicked on 4th with :01 left, if things worked out properly. But I am surprised we let the clock go from :42 to :16 on that play. That was not good management if we really wanted to use all four downs.

I watched the drive a minute ago. Moss got the first down with :42 left. We had two timeouts. We could have taken a timeout there, or spiked the ball. Instead, we let the clock run way down. The announcer even said a lot of time is running off the clock. There were :16 seconds left after the touchdown. If that had been incomplete, we would have had time for maybe two pass plays on second and third, and kicked on 4th with :01 left, if things worked out properly. But I am surprised we let the clock go from :42 to :16 on that play. That was not good management if we really wanted to use all four downs.
    Whit acknowledged in the post-game that he thought we could get the play off much quicker and had he known so much time would elapse, he would have called a TO. It was certainly poor time management and hopefully it is a lesson learned.

At the same time, if Patrick hauled in the sure TD pass at 3:30 left, I don't know whether we would have kept USC out of the end zone on their next drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Let's sit back and realize something. We have a QB. An actual QB that can make throws and move the offense. We have him for another season too.

Our offense can make plays to win a game with him. Williams grew up a ton last night. Steve Smiths cousin is legit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Whittingham has been building this time since our entry into the P12. A real QB is the cherry on top of this dessert of awesomeness.

This was a fun and a great win, but USC again exposed our defensive weaknesses. They did it last year and we had 2 very good linebackers and 2 additional run pluggers in Seni and Stevie.

To stop a strong running team, a defense needs to either have the talent upfront to require the OL to double team the DL or commit linebackers and maybe a safety to stopping the run. This leaves the DB's in either a cover 0 or with 1 deep safety.

A fully healthy Lowell and Stevie both command double teams up front. Without them, nobody on the DL really demands a double team. In order to stop the run, the LB's in a 4-3 and the SS when we only play 2 LBs are all focused on stopping the run. This leaves the CB's in man coverage with Williams playing deep safety. Because USC was able to effectively run the ball our LBs and SS were sucked into the run. USC would run a deep route on one side with No. 9 and a 15 yard dig or a deep slant on the other side. Williams has to help on No. 9. The LBs were protecting the run and could not drop deep enough and USC had a bunch of easy receptions over the middle.

Even with numbers in the box, the LBs did not do a very good job of taking on and shedding the blockers. Instead, they would try to avoid the blocker thus leaving their gap and allowing the RB to make big gains.

We need to get better play across the board or we will continue to see offenses be able to do what USC was able to do. Most of those teams lack the talent of USC, but it look like all of the offenses coming up are pretty darn good. It will be interesting to see what Whit and Scalley do moving forward.

The good news is, the rest of the offenses are a lot more one dimensional.

--Yeats

Would I be considered a "Junior Member" on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Would I be considered a "Junior Member" on this board?
    We all are...

There is so much butthurt in that thread. There are a few level hearts, however. USC raises funds like a mo'trucker and fans expect that entitles them to winning all the time. So much of their smugness confess from that. There poster who only would have felt justified is they beat Utah by at least as points as last year just highlights the extent of that poster's level of delusion. The game last year was much closer than the score.

Now Utah has a QB who is more accurate with those dart passes over the middle which negated the sole reason for USC's win last year, which were the two Cameron Smith Pick Sixes and third near pick six.

There is a lot of parity in the PAC-12 this year and that fact is terrifying to usc fans. USC fans forget that the PAC-10 had at least 5 teams with at least 6 losses for all of the Pete Carroll years, and a few of those years had up to 8 teams with 5+ losses. This year, however, there are 8 teams who can beat everybody. But nobody will run the table.

Hell, in USC's 12-1 Rose Bowl-winning season in 2008 their sole loss was to Oregon State who lost to Utah.

Sometimes the ball didn't go in the hoop. USC can still regroup and win the next 8 straight. They will always be dangerous, and hopefully their fans will rise to the occasion and be worthy of the kids who play for them.