Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Not knocking on Kobe Caldwell, because it's the on-court results that matter, but offers from only Nicholls State, New Mexico State, Youngstown State, and Tennessee State? That's the best we can do. Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful he does well for his sake and Utah's sake, but still.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-Caldwell.html
    I'm not going to get to worried about a kids offer list. After all, the Mitchell kid we just missed on, originally signed last November with Cal State Fullerton.

Just an observation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just an observation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I know, it is interesting that when Matt Mitchell's name first surfaced, people were automatically down on him because he originally signed with Cal State Fullerton. We then see some highlights of his performance on the AAU circuit where nobody plays defense so that everyone has great offensive stats and all of a sudden Mitchell is a major recruiting miss. He was 6 months removed from his best offer being Cal State Fullerton.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I know, it is interesting that when Matt Mitchell's name first surfaced, people were automatically down on him because he originally signed with Cal State Fullerton. We then see some highlights of his performance on the AAU circuit where nobody plays defense so that everyone has great offensive stats and all of a sudden Mitchell is a major recruiting miss. He was 6 months removed from his best offer being Cal State Fullerton.
    That context does help lessen the blow a bit but its pretty clear the staff wanted Mitchell more than the Caldwell kid. It still counts as a miss and the misses are mounting up.

yah...don't disagree. I'm hopeful the kid does well. That said, the contexts between Caldwell and Mitchell are a bit different. Mitchell was a high school kid and committed early. Caldwell has already played one year at JC. Given how our P12 brethren are recruiting, sans Washington State, I wish we'd be doing better. LK admitted as such.

In any event, it's all academic now. My pitchfork won't come out, if at all, until after the on-the-court results. Go Utes!

yah...don't disagree. I'm hopeful the kid does well. That said, the contexts between Caldwell and Mitchell are a bit different. Mitchell was a high school kid and committed early. Caldwell has already played one year at JC. Given how our P12 brethren are recruiting, sans Washington State, I wish we'd be doing better. LK admitted as such.

In any event, it's all academic now. My pitchfork won't come out, if at all, until after the on-the-court results. Go Utes!
    Plus, Mitchell certainly got a lot of interest from better programs this time around after the initial Cal State Fullerton signing.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Plus, Mitchell certainly got a lot of interest from better programs this time around after the initial Cal State Fullerton signing.

that doesn't mean much. could have been a panic pickup for SDSU as well. Still our recruiting appears to be becoming pathetic.

It appears that way, but I followed what was happening with him a bit on twitter and most of the hype was coming from his AAU supporters and others in his camp. i don't know that he didn't have interest from other programs, but I wouldn't necessarily take what was hyped on twitter to be gospel.

It appears that way, but I followed what was happening with him a bit on twitter and most of the hype was coming from his AAU supporters and others in his camp. i don't know that he didn't have interest from other programs, but I wouldn't necessarily take what was hyped on twitter to be gospel.
    I guess the point is that we wanted him and didn't get him. It's one thing to lose guys to Arizona and Duke. it's another to lose guys to TTech and SDSU.

I guess the point is that we wanted him and didn't get him. It's one thing to lose guys to Arizona and Duke. it's another to lose guys to TTech and SDSU.
    He was probably afraid he couldn't hack it academically at Utah.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He was probably afraid he couldn't hack it academically at Utah.
    That's playing the game right!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    That's playing the game right!
    I forgot to add that he was probably not Utah material.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

More information from SL Trib about Caldwell. Apparently he got on Utah's radar in late July.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...s-immediately/

Just saw an interesting stat on Twitter regarding Dave Rice's stint at UNLV. With the transfer of Dwayne Morgan, he didn't have a single recruit stay with the program for all four years. This will be my new Larry transfer salve, "At least he isn't Dave Rice."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just saw an interesting stat on Twitter regarding Dave Rice's stint at UNLV. With the transfer of Dwayne Morgan, he didn't have a single recruit stay with the program for all four years. This will be my new Larry transfer salve, "At least he isn't Dave Rice."
    I think I can safely say that MPFunk will approve this approach.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

New player just appeared on the roster. Hes either getting a scholarship, he becomes the 5th walk on on the team, or one of the other walk ons got a scholarship

http://utahutes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7050

Free throw and 3-pt shooting %...ouch.

http://region9athletics.com/sports/m...s/natedudahtf7

It sounds like he will be a walk on and the team will keep the extra scholarship in their back pocket. Could be useful for midyear transfers or 2018 prospects.