Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope Utah lands him for no other reason than that I want to hear the name Justice Sueing over and over again.
    Only a lawyer could appreciate that.

2018 big man Riley Battin was in for a visit yesterday and picked up an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    2018 big man Riley Battin was in for a visit yesterday and picked up an offer.
    More on him:

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/07/12/g...-riley-battin/

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...4/riley-battin

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

6'7"--240 lbs. ?? really.

They list Collette at 6'10", 220 lbs.

Kid is a load----must set a nasty pick; & might double as a right tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    6'7"--240 lbs. ?? really.

They list Collette at 6'10", 220 lbs.

Kid is a load----must set a nasty pick; & might double as a right tackle.
    All depends on build. I work with a former DE from USU. He's about 6'1" and weighs 260 now. You'd never know he weighs that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    All depends on build. I work with a former DE from USU. He's about 6'1" and weighs 260 now. You'd never know he weighs that much.

I'm 6'6" and with a touch of skinny fat mixed with an unhealthy amount of no muscle, I'm tipping the scales at 210. What blows my mind is that when I was racing road bikes in my early 20's I was under 175. I surely haven't gotten any taller the last 15 years.

2017 Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm 6'6" and with a touch of skinny fat mixed with an unhealthy amount of no muscle, I'm tipping the scales at 210. What blows my mind is that when I was racing road bikes in my early 20's I was under 175. I surely haven't gotten any taller the last 15 years.

It's easy to explain. Muscle weighs much more than fat. You're just being modest about your thigh muscles.

Last edited by LA Ute; 12-18-2016 at 04:13 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's easy to explain. Muscle weighs much more than fat. You're just being modest about your thigh muscles.

Muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat.

But muscle is more dense than fat, so as you add muscle you can see weight increases despite being smaller in terms of volume.

Muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat.

But muscle is more dense than fat, so as you add muscle you can see weight increases despite being smaller in terms of volume.
    Right as usual. You've stated it more accurately than I did. A pound is a pound, no matter what it's made of!

--Yeats

Donnie Tillman starts an official visit with TCU tomorrow.

Justice Sueing is seeing his name pop up in recruiting discussions a little more often.

IMO, if we can sign these two, and either bring in a JUCO big or hold a scholarship for a year, then that would be, IMO, a solid recruiting year. That adds a lot of length and toughness.

Justice Sueing is seeing his name pop up in recruiting discussions a little more often.
    Son of former Rainbow Warrior Justice Sueing. Wasn't he the one that elbowed Van Horn?

Donnie Tillman starts an official visit with TCU tomorrow.

IMO, if we can sign these two, and either bring in a JUCO big or hold a scholarship for a year, then that would be, IMO, a solid recruiting year. That adds a lot of length and toughness.
    I'd have a really hard time welcoming Justice Sueing's son into the fold. It would be like welcoming Nate Cooper Jr.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Son of former Rainbow Warrior Justice Sueing. Wasn't he the one that elbowed Van Horn?
    He had multiple incidents involving the Utes. It was so bad that he was suspended from playing the Utes again.

In one game he elbowed Alex Jensen in the head and elbowed Brandon Jessie causing him a concussion. If I remember correct he had a third elbow thrown in that game. He also did go after Van Horn in another game in the WAC tournament. So basically at least 3 incidents involving Utes. Like I said, I'd have a hard time accepting his son as a Ute, especially with such an underwhelming list of offers. His next best offer is Hawaii. The Utes should absolutely pass on him. I'm not going to complain about punishing him for the sins of his father.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Well dang. i had no idea. (I guess thats what happens when you only start closely following the team in '96).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4...ES.html?pg=all

So some tidbits........

Justice Sueing has picked up an offer from Cal. They are now going after two of our top targets in Tillman and Sueing. 4 of the 5 experts at 247 sports have Tillman going to Utah, but a few of those are dated and the most recent prediction (saturday) has him going to Cal. Who knows. the 247 experts all had intel that Jayce Johnson was going to Cal. So....time will tell. Tillman visits there at the end of this month.

Here is a brief article about priority 2018 recruit Emmanuel Akot. IMO, this is kind of a make or break recruit for 2016.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....his-final-four

Justice Sueing has picked up an offer from Cal. They are now going after two of our top targets in Tillman and Sueing. 4 of the 5 experts at 247 sports have Tillman going to Utah, but a few of those are dated and the most recent prediction (saturday) has him going to Cal. Who knows. the 247 experts all had intel that Jayce Johnson was going to Cal. So....time will tell. Tillman visits there at the end of this month.
    Cal can recruit, that's for sure. I usually think that if someone waits as long as Tillman has, he will end up somewhere else.

So some tidbits........

Here is a brief article about priority 2018 recruit Emmanuel Akot. IMO, this is kind of a make or break recruit for 2016.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....his-final-four
    247 has good information, but I've yet to see anything that indicates their predictions are worth a thing. Not really sure how they come to their conclusions but I've honestly never seen them get one right.

247 has good information, but I've yet to see anything that indicates their predictions are worth a thing. Not really sure how they come to their conclusions but I've honestly never seen them get one right.

Their prediction crystal ball thingie is junk. They should do away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Their prediction crystal ball thingie is junk. They should do away with it.
    I haven't really looked at 247, but maybe Utah is not a high priority for them. Maybe they spend more effort on predictions for the 5 star QBs who are deciding between OSU and FSU.

Their crystal ball thing is junk for two reasons

a) a lot of people come along and drop predictions WAY too early, and then dont bother updating as information becomes available.
    b) they put their predictions up when its obvious that a kid is going somewhere. Heck one bozo tried to put a prediction of Utah in for Branden Carlson AFTER he committed. That is what drives their 'success' rate.

Basically, 247 is playing a game of 'Duck Hunt' for the original nintendo and they are either playing at the maximum distance from the screen (where it doesnt matter how good of a shot you are, any hit is lucky) or they have the gun pressed right in the middle of the screen where 99% of the shots will knock out the bird regardless of where it is (try it next time, if you are lucky enough to find an authentic copy!)

Do we have any 2017 commits?

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Do we have any 2017 commits?
    0 that will be here in fall 2017.

0 that will be here in fall 2017.
    That's what I thought. I think we'll have two slots -- Bonam and Bealer.

And Tim Coleman. Wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer or two either.

I think in an ideal world we land Tillman and sueing , then fill in whatever else is needed as transfers dictate. I wouldn't be surprised if we sat on a scholarship. 2018 could be terrific if we get A lot early and then use him to get others

We lost the Coleman kid to transfer as well. So 3 if Bealer does go.

Edit: I'm a hack, again.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We lost the Coleman kid to transfer as well. So 3 if Bealer does go.

Edit: I'm a hack, again.
    Basketball is allowed 13 scholarships, correct? We have 12 guys on scholarship (including Collette) and will lose Bealer and Bonum. I don't imagine the coaches will encourage Bealer to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Basketball is allowed 13 scholarships, correct? We have 12 guys on scholarship (including Collette) and will lose Bealer and Bonum. I don't imagine the coaches will encourage Bealer to stay.
    I didn't realize Bealer was a Sr. For some reason I had in my mind that Bonam was our only Sr. So I think we will have 3 scholarship spots to fill.

In Basketball, is there any limit to the number of recruits you can sign a year like there is in football? That is to say, will the two sign-and-sends prevent us from filling the 3 open slots?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I didn't realize Bealer was a Sr. For some reason I had in my mind that Bonam was our only Sr. So I think we will have 3 scholarship spots to fill.

In Basketball, is there any limit to the number of recruits you can sign a year like there is in football? That is to say, will the two sign-and-sends prevent us from filling the 3 open slots?
    Nope. As we almost showed last year, you can completely overturn your roster from 1-13 if you so choose.

I quickly went through and compiled stats from some of the 2016 recruits we either a) missed on, or b) recruited but never ended up offering.

Team MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3pt% FT% 2017 NBA Draft (DraftExpress)
    Lauri Markkanen Arizona 31.1 16.7 7.4 1.2 0.3 0.5 51.1 46.5 82.5 9
    Frank Jackson Duke 25.1 11.1 2.3 1.5 0.6 0 44.8 37.3 79.1 62
    Omer Yurtseven NC St 21.6 7.3 6.2 1.4 0.2 0.5 46.3 50 71.4 37
    Zach Collins Gonzaga 16.9 10.4 5.4 0.6 0.5 1.2 64.5 36.4 72.2 25
    Killian Tillie Gonzaga 14.1 4.6 3.6 0.8 0.9 0.4 53.3 47.4 66.7
    Mitch Lightfoot Kansas 4.1 1.2 1.2 0 0.2 0.2 54.5 50 20
    JaQuori McLaughlin Oregon St 32.9 11.6 2.7 2.6 0.8 0.2 40.2 39.3 75
    Braian Angola-Rodas FSU 13.1 3.9 1.8 1.5 0.6 0.1 41.5 34.6 64.7
    Harold Baruti Washington 2.7 0.2 0.4 0.2 0.1 0 25 0 0
    CJ Keyser Wichita St 5.7 1.9 0.6 0.5 0.2 0.1 42.1 16.7 80
    Jonah Matthews USC 20.9 7.4 2.1 1.2 1.1 0.1 37.1 34.7 67.6
    Yoeli Childs BYU 24.2 8.5 7.5 1.2 0.6 1.6 58.7 0 57.6
    Koby McEwen Utah St 30.5 14.6 4.9 3.1 0.8 0.5 49.4 44.3 67.8
    Bryce Peters Colorado 14.1 3.1 1.3 0.6 0.4 0.1 30.2 21.7 59.1

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    I quickly went through and compiled stats from some of the 2016 recruits we either a) missed on, or b) recruited but never ended up offering.
    Any one of those top 5 would have been a huge difference to this year's team.