Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Any one of those top 5 would have been a huge difference to this year's team.
    Dream on about those McDonald's All-Americans. McEwan would have made a huge difference, and he was a four star! I still haven't gotten a satisfactory explanation from any of you why we didn't even offer him.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Dream on about those McDonald's All-Americans. McEwan would have made a huge difference, and he was a four star! I still haven't gotten a satisfactory explanation from any of you why we didn't even offer him.
    Frank was always a dream. The others were realistic. Hanno was a friend/mentor of one. One was the little brother of a former Ute. One ended up at a comparable program.

The think the McEwan explanation that you want or don't want to hear is that we just missed on him. It happens. Everyone else missed too; that's how he ended up in Logan.

Just saw this short clip of Branden Carlson, our 2017/2019 commit. Looks quite agile. I'm quite curious who, if any, is coming in for 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6oe7eRaYdc

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...justice-sueing

A nice, in depth breakdown on Sueing. According to this, its down to us, Vanderbilt, and Cal.

I have to give a tip of the hat to Utebuntu........just about everything I share here is from his twitter feed. The guy is a must follow for hoops recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

A nice, in depth breakdown on Sueing. According to this, its down to us, Vanderbilt, and Cal.

I have to give a tip of the hat to Utebuntu........just about everything I share here is from his twitter feed. The guy is a must follow for hoops recruiting.
    These articles are a great idea to get recruits feeling like they're wanted and associating good feelings with a school. Everyone is keen on a feature story celebrating their accomplishments. Shouldn't MrUtahSports, JazzyUte or Pat be doing these kinds of write ups on this kid and other Ute targets.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

Ha. I figured you were Utebuntu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These articles are a great idea to get recruits feeling like they're wanted and associating good feelings with a school. Everyone is keen on a feature story celebrating their accomplishments. Shouldn't MrUtahSports, JazzyUte or Pat be doing these kinds of write ups on this kid and other Ute targets.
    Let's not get JazzyUte so closely connected to the program. He doesn't take loses well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Let's not get JazzyUte so closely connected to the program. He doesn't take loses well.

Losses? He doesn't take missed shots or turnovers well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I would never do a story on a recruit. It's hard to take seriously anything they have to say, their parents even moreso and the most honest person -- the kid's coach -- ain't gonna be forthright with a reporter. He'll save his honestly for the coaches recruiting his player. Additionally, you can never get the other side (the college coach) to comment on him.

Sueing would be a very interesting pickup for Utah. No doubt there are legacy players within the program whose .02 I would be interested to hear. Need a refresher course?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4...P-THE-WAC.html

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

Sueing would be a very interesting pickup for Utah. No doubt there are legacy players within the program whose .02 I would be interested to hear. Need a refresher course?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4...P-THE-WAC.html
    No need to lay the sins of the father upon his child.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    No need to lay the sins of the father upon his child.
    Especially if the child can be a backup 4.

Donnie Tillman commits! Can anyone fill me in on this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Donnie Tillman commits! Can anyone fill me in on this kid?
    Is there any more to this than 311ute's Tweet?

I should have kept scrolling.

Beat Cal for Tillman. I like that!

Tillman is a huge get for the team. I can't wait to see him next year.

I may be in the minority -- more excited about basketball commitments/signing. We need another big commit for 2017, at least.

Last edited by justaute; 02-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.

I'm with you, Justa. Of all the recruits today, it's the hoop recruit that has me the most excited.

I agree that basketball is more important. But is this also national letter of intent day in basketball?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I agree that basketball is more important. But is this also national letter of intent day in basketball?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No.

Late period is not until after the season is it? Sometime in April? Early was in November.

2017 Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Late period is not until after the season is it? Sometime in April? Early was in November.
    Opens April 12th this year. Closes May 17th.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

So today we care more about football, though Tillman was a nice surprise.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I'm with you, Justa. Of all the recruits today, it's the hoop recruit that has me the most excited.
    Maybe because it was the least expected. We didn't have any real surprises in football, but we did sign a great class.

Nice job by the coaching staff. By my calculations, we still have two slots to fill for next year barring any surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Nice job by the coaching staff. By my calculations, we still have two slots to fill for next year barring any surprises.
    Well, there goes one option for one of those spots.

sueing commits to Cal

So today we care more about football, though Tillman was a nice surprise.
    I believe a timeout was called in football signing day in order for Tillman to announce his decision.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    sueing commits to Cal
    Now we can hate him for the sins of his father and for the sins of his self.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I believe a timeout was called in football signing day in order for Tillman to announce his decision.
    But bear in mind that today we were following actual football signings, but Tillman was just a verbal commitment.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo