Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Well, I guess we'll see what happens in the next couple of years. In general, of course I want more higher rated (more stars) players, but not all stars are created the same.

Jayce -- I'm not sold on him. His movement isn't all that fluid and he doesn't have much lift. I think he'll be a decent bench player.
    Seeley -- has the athleticism and frame. We'll see if he has the coordination and the aptitude for developing BB IQ.
    Tillman (Commit) -- similar to Seeley. We'll see if he sticks to his commitment.
    Daniels -- has good athleticism, but no more than his peers in P12. Not sure about his aptitude.
    Rawson -- stretch 4? I don't think so. Bad on defense. And, he just completed his junior year. Not a fan.
    Jokl -- based on a few minutes of his playing, not sure why he's even sitting on the bench.
    Collette -- has good offensive motor and skill, but has no lift. Bad on defense.
    Van Dyke -- suppose to be a good shoot, but is quite inconsistent, especially against decent competition. Not enough athleticism.
    Zamora -- as a JC transfer, just not enough of anything. He seems just ok in everything. Not that good of a passer.
    Barefield -- Seems to have a bit of everything. Would like to see more court presence and more craftiness from him.

To FOU's point, what happend with Mawien? It's not as if the coaches haven't watched him for years. Just watch many of the lower seeded teams in the tourney -- players seem to have either very good athleticism or good BB IQ. We don't or didn't have those players, IMO. Our guards/wings don't seem to have good passing skills and don't seem to have enough court awareness. Overall, as a team, we just don't seem to have a good "feel" of the game.

I know I may sound a bit harsh, but oh well. I'm hopeful I'm wrong.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-17-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    To FOU's point, what happend with Mawien? It's not as if the coaches haven't watched him for years.
    We weren't the only ones that saw talent in Mawien. He was offered by Gonzaga, BYU, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    We weren't the only ones that saw talent in Mawien. He was offered by Gonzaga, BYU, etc.
    Clearly, recruiting is not science. It's an exercise of hit-n-miss, but hopefully more hits than misses. In recent history, I don't think anyone would argue that Gonzaga has done just fine. BYU? Don't know. Don't care.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice.

FWIW...here is the latest video highlights of Branden Carlson from the Tarkanian Classic. Branden looks good so far. He exhibits certain fluidity in the way he moves and jumps. Appears to have decent hands.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=C...son+basketball

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He literally has "ball" in his name. He was born for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    He literally has "ball" in his name. He was born for this!
    Does "preferred walk on" mean he gets our extra scholarship if we can't find anyone else this off season? We do need a point guard...

Who?

Thanks.What a terrific kid. He seems to be more "adult" than most adults. Need more people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thanks.What a terrific kid. He seems to be more "adult" than most adults. Need more people like him.
    Here's another pic of the new Ute:

Yayyyy...

I wonder how Eli compares to Van Dyke.

And another one from his job down at the flour mill.

K Bacon.jpg

Eli is an interesting prospect as a preferred walk-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbaFZGN1Vo4
    Last edited by justaute; 03-22-2017 at 06:14 PM.

He needs the mission and about 30 pounds.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What actually is the point of being a preferred walk on that will be serving a mission for two years?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    What actually is the point of being a preferred walk on that will be serving a mission for two years?

It gives him time to eat a lot of sandwiches.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

this is funny, but there might be too much truth in Ublender's tweet to laugh.

UBlender44‏ @UBlender44 Mar 21More

Utah hoops recruits like dad getting dessert at family gathering-politely hangs back until everyone gets theirs, casually checks what's left

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    this is funny, but there might be too much truth in Ublender's tweet to laugh.

UBlender44‏ @UBlender44 Mar 21More

Utah hoops recruits like dad getting dessert at family gathering-politely hangs back until everyone gets theirs, casually checks what's left
    Yeah...Ithin
    I think I'm starting to form the opinion of instead of going after the really, really nice dessert, and hoping you get a slice, let's go get ourselves half a cake of the next best stuff.

who is this? Kuzma;s replacement?

iPhone Offense‏ @Utebuntu 1m1 minute agoMore

iPhone Offense Retweeted Verbal Commits
    Utah offered Vance back in August of 2014. Now transferring from UCONN.

iPhone Offense added,
    Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits
    2016 St. John Bosco (CA) F Vance Jackson has received an offer from Utah. @VanceJackson1 http://verbalcommits.com/players/vance-jackson

A top 50 prospect a year or two ago?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13904928/top-50-prospect-vance-jackson-chooses-uconn-men-basketball

Last edited by concerned; 03-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    who is this

iPhone Offense‏ @Utebuntu 1m1 minute agoMore

iPhone Offense Retweeted Verbal Commits
    Utah offered Vance back in August of 2014. Now transferring from UCONN.

iPhone Offense added,
    Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits
    2016 St. John Bosco (CA) F Vance Jackson has received an offer from Utah. @VanceJackson1 http://verbalcommits.com/players/vance-jackson

A top 50 prospect a year or two ago?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13904928/top-50-prospect-vance-jackson-chooses-uconn-men-basketball

Vance Jackson. He seemed to like us a lot the first go around, but ultimately went with UCONN. I would expect our staff to be on the phone with him in short order. 6'8, 230 and hit 40% from downtown. 8 points, 4 boards in 26 minutes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2492893...es-aiming-high

With the whole of college basketball coming to a close in less than a week, this is the time where news of transfers comes the fastest. I am hoping that news of our transfers comes quickly. With Kuzma up in the air for probably a month and a half, the staff has some juggling to do (I use that term lightly because if Kuzma comes back, I think it would be a surprise to everyone).

It will be very interesting to see if we work the transfer or grad transfer markets at all this year. Could find an infusion of much needed talent if Kuzma leaves. Then its on to 2018 which might be the biggest make or break class of this staff's time at Utah.

Only grad transfers would be eligible next year, right? A guy like Jackson would not be able to help us next season.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Only grad transfers would be eligible next year, right? A guy like Jackson would not be able to help us next season.
    If a guy like jackson wants to come, you happily make room and let him sit out.

As of now, we need as many good players as possible, whenever we can get them. P12 competition is getting tougher.

2017 Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    If a guy like jackson wants to come, you happily make room and let him sit out.
    Make room?! LOL. That's great. Like we ever have off season carrying capacity issues.

Here is the 2017 transfers list almost 400 and growing. http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Utebuntu again with the inside info......JUCO guard Ty Lazenby will be visiting 4/24-4/26. He just completed a visit to UNC Charlotte and will also visit Penn State. 21.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 47% shooting, 80% from the line. 6'5 guard.