Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I still think this is a two horse race. I'm not convinced that any of those new 'offers' are 2017 'Offers'. Also, the kid really doesn't have much time to take unofficials.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I still think this is a two horse race. I'm not convinced that any of those new 'offers' are 2017 'Offers'. Also, the kid really doesn't have much time to take unofficials.
    I hope your right. I don't know if the offers are 2017 offers. But, as for time, school starts the end of August. He has plenty of time. The Carrington kid, a football grad transfer from Oregon, unofficially visited Utah last week and ASU this past weekend. Football practice starts this week. Utah just got a commit from a JUCO WR from Texas who has never visited campus and won't until he shows up for fall camp. I guess, at the end of the day, I have lost all confidence in this staff to close the deal on any recruit.

I think he's been waiting for other offers. Otherwise, why the delay?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think he's been waiting for other offers. Otherwise, why the delay?
    I will agree that's part of it but he is also yet to be cleared academically.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I hope your right. I don't know if the offers are 2017 offers. But, as for time, school starts the end of August. He has plenty of time. The Carrington kid, a football grad transfer from Oregon, unofficially visited Utah last week and ASU this past weekend. Football practice starts this week. Utah just got a commit from a JUCO WR from Texas who has never visited campus and won't until he shows up for fall camp. I guess, at the end of the day, I have lost all confidence in this staff to close the deal on any recruit.
    August 21 at the U and if he is going to stay true to waiting to do anything until after aau, he is giving himself just a few weeks.

I get the frustration in recruiting but we have a really really really good class coming in. The misses have brought down enthusiasm though no question.

August 21 at the U and if he is going to stay true to waiting to do anything until after aau, he is giving himself just a few weeks.

I get the frustration in recruiting but we have a really really really good class coming in. The misses have brought down enthusiasm though no question.
    I like the class particularly if you consider the two kids going straight on missions. My concern is we really need help on the wing and this guy looks like he can provide that help. We have Barefield, VanDyke, Pop and Bealer at wing and Barefield will also need to play some point. It is possible that Seeley and Tillman can play three, but there is a reason all we have seen Seeley do is dunk the ball and we really don't know what Tillman can do.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I like the class particularly if you consider the two kids going straight on missions. My concern is we really need help on the wing and this guy looks like he can provide that help. We have Barefield, VanDyke, Pop and Bealer at wing and Barefield will also need to play some point. It is possible that Seeley and Tillman can play three, but there is a reason all we have seen Seeley do is dunk the ball and we really don't know what Tillman can do.
    Agreed. 100%.

On twitter, it really seems like he is trying hard to get more offers.

I'd bet if he gets any offer anywhere else, he's gone.

It's too bad. K does a good job showcasing a kid and getting him to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    On twitter, it really seems like he is trying hard to get more offers.

I'd bet if he gets any offer anywhere else, he's gone.

It's too bad. K does a good job showcasing a kid and getting him to the NBA.
    Being an eternal Ute hoops optimist and Larry fan, my last ray of hope lies in devon Daniels (lol) and Donnie Tillman. Both visited here, left, took other visits , went silent, talked about all options, and then committed.

Time will tell...

Being an eternal Ute hoops optimist and Larry fan, my last ray of hope lies in devon Daniels (lol) and Donnie Tillman. Both visited here, left, took other visits , went silent, talked about all options, and then committed.

Time will tell...
    I like this. Thanks.

I will agree that's part of it but he is also yet to be cleared academically.
    Is he still not cleared? I would think he'd want to go to Spain if he wanted to be at Utah.

Is he still not cleared? I would think he'd want to go to Spain if he wanted to be at Utah.
    I believe he'd have to be enrolled in order to do so and summer sessions are nearly done so he'd have needed to be cleared at least a month or two ago in order for that to be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I believe he'd have to be enrolled in order to do so and summer sessions are nearly done so he'd have needed to be cleared at least a month or two ago in order for that to be a possibility.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Matt Mitchell should announce this week simply because school is starting soon.

Matt Mitchell should announce this week simply because school is starting soon.
    So glad to have an insider on this site. #Sources

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So glad to have an insider on this site. #Sources

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I ought to be on the payroll around here! I work long and hard to bring you guys the latest! hahaha.

Mitchell picks SDSU. Time to shut this thread down for a season. UtahMrSports insiders fail to deliver again.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Mitchell picks SDSU. Time to shut this thread down for a season. UtahMrSports insiders fail to deliver again.
    Hey! I resemble that! My sources only said that he would announce!

Man, SDSU. Without Fischer. Feels bad.

Hello, PAC 12 doormat.

Following Ute hoops recruiting these days is like watching Revenge of the Nerds but from the douchey jock's perspective. It seems like we've got all of the tried-and-true goods to attract the cheerleader babe that have worked since the dawn of time. We've got the tan muscles and the "how-you-doin" smile, dad's money, the sweet Cashmere sweater and boat shoes, the fast car, and the alpha fraternity that's rigged all the campus rules to lean in our favor. And yet, inexplicably, the cute girl walks away with the skinny dork.

Its almost like we recruited better when we were the hapless nerds.

Nerds.jpeg

Maybe our story is more like Can't Buy Me Love. We started out as the dork, but the cooler we got the less appealing we became.

New commitment:
    Kobe Caldwell
    2** 6'4"shooting guard.

JC transfer---Utes say has 3 years left.

Video for freshman year at Lewis & Clark.

talk about Shawnee CC--Illinois, but they don't list him on a roster??

Lewis & Clark JC in Illinois.

Another panic pick-up?

Here is a video of him at L&C. Appears to be pretty fluid and shoots with ball with ease. Can't quite tell how dynamic athleticism he has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df1TKemhFrw

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    New commitment:
    Kobe Caldwell
    2** 6'4"shooting guard.

JC transfer---Utes say has 3 years left.

Video for freshman year at Lewis & Clark.

talk about Shawnee CC--Illinois, but they don't list him on a roster??

Not knocking on Kobe Caldwell, because it's the on-court results that matter, but offers from only Nicholls State, New Mexico State, Youngstown State, and Tennessee State? That's the best we can do. Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful he does well for his sake and Utah's sake, but still.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-Caldwell.html

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Not knocking on Kobe Caldwell, because it's the on-court results that matter, but offers from only Nicholls State, New Mexico State, Youngstown State, and Tennessee State? That's the best we can do. Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful he does well for his sake and Utah's sake, but still.
    I think he's just a back-up plan. Someone to take the scholarship and practice with the team. Losing the Frenchman and then Mitchell hurts a lot.

Yup, that's what I'd figured. It's not on him -- if I were he and had been under-recruited, I would jump at the U offer. Notwithstanding our many recruiting failures, I'm hopeful we at least are able to identify "real" hidden gems. That said, still don't understand what Jokl is doing on a Pac 12 team -- unless he has a serious turn-around this coming season, I just don't see the value. His very limited minutes last year did not show much at all.

I think he's just a back-up plan. Someone to take the scholarship and practice with the team. Losing the Frenchman and then Mitchell hurts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    able to identify "real" hidden gems. That said, still don't understand what Jokl is doing on a Pac 12 team -- unless he has a serious turn-around this coming season, I just don't see the value. His very limited minutes last year did not show much at all.
    When hunting for hidden gems, you are bound to end up with fool's good fairly often.

Agreed. Our way of dealing with the "fool's gold" seems to be mass transfers.

When hunting for hidden gems, you are bound to end up with fool's good fairly often.

311ute posted his stats on twitter...ouch. When does LK make him transfer?

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2...ge?view=lineup