Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    He averaged 4.3 RPG in 12.3 MPG this year. That means that if he just maintains that rate, he should get 7 RPG even if he only plays 20 MPG. Jayce is not a perfect player, far from it, but there are some things that he does very well and a lot of Ute fans severely undervalue him.
    The question I have about Jayce's progress is where his minutes will come from. I really don't think he and Collette can be on the floor at the same time. Collette does not have the range or athleticism to play the 4. If Jayce consistently gets 20 minutes a game, I think he can be an 10 and 7 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The question I have about Jayce's progress is where his minutes will come from. I really don't think he and Collette can be on the floor at the same time. Collette does not have the range or athleticism to play the 4. If Jayce consistently gets 20 minutes a game, I think he can be an 10 and 7 guy.
    With Collette's foul history, my fear is that Jayce gets too many minutes.

Sounds like Moretti will be flying in tonight to begin his visit tomorrow. I have no idea what his timetable is once he is done, but I imagine its soon, with Fall semester 2.5 months away in many places.

Moretti's visit is complete. Per the old twitter machine, he is being tight lipped, but should have a decision soon. With him being tight lipped, and the staff being tight lipped, I dont expect any sort of leaking info until he makes his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Moretti's visit is complete. Per the old twitter machine, he is being tight lipped, but should have a decision soon. With him being tight lipped, and the staff being tight lipped, I dont expect any sort of leaking info until he makes his decision.
    I feel good about this. I've been riding a string of good luck for the past few weeks.

Well, it looks like we're set for next year. I realized that we're no Texas Tech, but it still hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Well, it looks like we're set for next year. I realized that we're no Texas Tech, but it still hurts.
    Lousy Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Lousy Italians.

Best movie. Our coaches probably couldn't out sell Utah over Texas to a kid from Indiana either.

Something is going on when kids visit that is turning them off from Utah basketball. The coaches do a pretty good job of getting kids to take official visits, but then cannot seem to close the deal. When I was involved with football, kids who the staff felt fairly confident about when they began their official visit typically chose another school for 1 of 2 reasons. They either did not get a good vibe from the players in the program or they did not like what the coaches said about how they planned to use the kid on the field. I can see both of these as being possibilities with Utah basketball. There seems to be something off about the camaraderie of the players. Also, LK plays a more controlled style of basketball with emphasis on defense and half court offense. That can be a turnoff to a lot of players.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Something is going on when kids visit that is turning them off from Utah basketball. The coaches do a pretty good job of getting kids to take official visits, but then cannot seem to close the deal. When I was involved with football, kids who the staff felt fairly confident about when they began their official visit typically chose another school for 1 of 2 reasons. They either did not get a good vibe from the players in the program or they did not like what the coaches said about how they planned to use the kid on the field. I can see both of these as being possibilities with Utah basketball. There seems to be something off about the camaraderie of the players. Also, LK plays a more controlled style of basketball with emphasis on defense and half court offense. That can be a turnoff to a lot of players.
    Losing guys to Arizona and Gonzaga is one thing. But Texas Tech? And he visited Lubbock?!?

2017 Recruiting Thread

This is perfection.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 06-10-2017 at 06:18 PM.

This is perfection.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It comes down to one thing:

We need to start paying our basketball players under the table. Until we do, we will continue to lose these kids.

I don't care how great of a coach K is, until he starts doing what everyone else is doing, last year will be the norm more often than not.

And we are paying him too much for last year to be the norm.

Either he takes a 50% pay cut or he needs to start getting players paid.

Utebuntu‏ @Utebuntu 11m11 minutes agoMore

Brekkott Chapman would be a senior this year, and would be a much-needed piece to this roster. Wish he had stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Utebuntu‏ @Utebuntu 11m11 minutes ago More

Brekkott Chapman would be a senior this year, and would be a much-needed piece to this roster. Wish he had stuck around.
    I wish he had stuck around and worked on his body so he could not be pushed around by stronger players.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    It comes down to one thing:

We need to start paying our basketball players under the table. Until we do, we will continue to lose these kids.
    I hope this is TIC. If players want cash under the table, they can go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I hope this is TIC. If players want cash under the table, they can go somewhere else.
    It's not at all. Why are we consistently in second place? It's not bad luck. We will continue to be second choice until we start playing the game.

If your kid had an offer to Utah and Cal/NC State/Texas Tech was also going to toss some extra benefits your way, why would go to Utah?

It is the simple reality in basketball recruiting. Everyone is doing it and nobody is being punished for it. It's time to either start paying playing or cut Larry's salary in half.

It's not at all. Why are we consistently in second place? It's not bad luck. We will continue to be second choice until we start playing the game.
    I wouldn't call it a game. You are asking coach to participate in bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I wish he had stuck around and worked on his body so he could not be pushed around by stronger players.
    Yeah, but even the skinny version would be nice to have this year. I don't think he's great, but I think he's a clear upgrade over Rawson.

Yeah, but even the skinny version would be nice to have this year. I don't think he's great, but I think he's a clear upgrade over Rawson.
    Of course. But we were making wishes!

--Yeats

If your kid had an offer to Utah and Cal/NC State/Texas Tech was also going to toss some extra benefits your way, why would go to Utah?

It is the simple reality in basketball recruiting. Everyone is doing it and nobody is being punished for it. It's time to either start paying playing or cut Larry's salary in half.
    This is ridiculous. If Larry's contract is anything like Kyle's, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, he can be terminated for cause simply by breaking NCAA rules and landing us on probation (And when you're terminated without cause, I believe one's entire contract is voided and the school is off the hook entirely). But he's supposed to take a pay cut beforehand?

Coaches are overpaid, and that's no exception at Utah. I'm hugely disappointed in our assistants, as well as Larry's tolerance of them. Larry deserves a little more rope than most, but I'll yank it all back if we go a second straight year without the NCAAs and he continues to stand pat with his staff. A third year without being in the NCAAs would be grounds to look elsewhere -- it's one more season than either of his predecessors got, with only one more NCAA bid earned over a much longer period of time.

I am not in favor of this, but interestingly I was speaking to a college football coach and one of the reasons coaches privately bemoan working satellite camps is, in addition to being little bang for the time, energy and money, mini-agents are starting to become very active in that arena recruiting kids to their 7 on 7 teams, telling parents their kids won't get a scholarship without hiring them and telling coaches that they can guarantee that certain kids come to the schools camp on campus for a little dough. The AAU circuit has made basketball recruiting the sleeze pot that it is and it sounds like it will get to football if they don't restrict coaches to only attending camps on their own campus.

SoCal, you missed my point.

Larry is the 14th highest paid coach, I do believe.

That sets expectations that you are a top 25 team and in the tournament most years.

In order to do so, you need to recruit and most likely at a top 25 level.

In order to recruit at that level, you have to pay players. I'm not making a moral or right/wrong statement on this. It is what it is.

Everyone else is doing it and if you want kids to play for you...well, you'd better pay them.

So, Larry has a choice to make:

Stay "clean", have last year become the norm and lose his job, or pay players.

After all that here is my point:

If he wants to stay clean, his results will be average. If his results are average, there is no way he keeps his job at this pay rate. The only way for him to keep his job at Utah would be for Utah to be ok with average, yet clean, results and cut his pay big time.

Hope springs eternal.

SoCal, you missed my point.

Larry is the 14th highest paid coach, I do believe.

That sets expectations that you are a top 25 team and in the tournament most years.

In order to do so, you need to recruit and most likely at a top 25 level.

In order to recruit at that level, you have to pay players. I'm not making a moral or right/wrong statement on this. It is what it is.

Everyone else is doing it and if you want kids to play for you...well, you'd better pay them.

So, Larry has a choice to make:

Stay "clean", have last year become the norm and lose his job, or pay players.

After all that here is my point:

If he wants to stay clean, his results will be average. If his results are average, there is no way he keeps his job at this pay rate. The only way for him to keep his job at Utah would be for Utah to be ok with average, yet clean, results and cut his pay big time.
    I hope we don't follow this recommendation. Yeesh.

Forward Matt Mitchell from Corona, California will be visiting shortly. 6'6, 225.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Forward Matt Mitchell from Corona, California will be visiting shortly. 6'6, 225.
    Meanwhile, Oregon picks up the transfer from Illinois St.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I hope we don't follow this recommendation. Yeesh.
    Louisville gets a slap on the wrist. UNC may get off scot-free. I don't want Utah to cheat either, but it's pretty tough to compete honestly. I'm not sure what the answer is.

Louisville gets a slap on the wrist. UNC may get off scot-free. I don't want Utah to cheat either, but it's pretty tough to compete honestly. I'm not sure what the answer is.
    Pat nailed it on Twitter. Punishments have to be more severe. Loss of tv times, postseason bans etc. Until they crack down, it'll stay status quo. Who cares about vacating a title?

Like I said, Larry has a choice to make: stay "clean" and lose his job or start playing the game.