Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Like I said, Larry has a choice to make: stay "clean" and lose his job or start playing the game.
    Larry has 3 ncaa wins, 4 postseason appearances, and soon to be three draft picks. You guys who think he's in any danger are 'sandy hook was a hoax' level nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Larry has 3 ncaa wins, 4 postseason appearances, and soon to be three draft picks. You guys who think he's in any danger are 'sandy hook was a hoax' level nutty.
    He is also the 14th highest paid coach in NCAA basketball. If anyone thinks he can survive too many more seasons like last year...

The point is, he needs to win more games.

And "4" postseason appearances isn't good enough when you realize that 2 were NIT embarrassing losses in the first round.

He is being paid at the level of a top 25 program, and he needs to stay there.

Larry mentioned yesterday that there is one more guy they are recruiting for 2017 who would be an impact guy for next year. From what Brett Borg is saying on twitter, I am led to believe he is referring to Mitchell. Though its easy to dismiss him since he was committed to Cal State Fullerton but from what the guys on Utezone are saying, he is being pursued by many top programs on the west coast, as well as some back east.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...15831702179842

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...15831702179842

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    So, who does he commit to right after he leaves us?

😂🤣

Utah State. He thought we were the Aggies.

So, who does he commit to right after he leaves us?

藍

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I wish he had stuck around and worked on his body so he could not be pushed around by stronger players.
    Rhetorically, I wonder what Brekkott Chapman thinks of Kuzma's 1st round draft. These two players were often compared; and, Brekkott actually had better stats including 3-pt % of +.400.

Kuz stayed, worked on his game, endured as LK's whipping-boy; result, 1st round NBA pick.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Rhetorically, I wonder what Brekkott Chapman thinks of Kuzma's 1st round draft. These two players were often compared; and, Brekkott actually had better stats including 3-pt % of +.400.

Kuz stayed, worked on his game, endured as LK's whipping-boy; result, 1st round NBA pick.

Same with Mika. He almost transferred to the U for that very reason when he came back. food for thought if you are a big thinking about the u or the Y.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Same with Mika. He almost transferred to the U for that very reason when he came back. food for thought if you are a big thinking about the u or the Y.
    I posted months ago that Mika was better off declaring and working on his perimeter game than staying at BYU and watching those little fuckers jack up NBA 3s. I didn't expect him to follow that advice. If he wants to have any chance whatsoever at playing at the next level, he needed to leave BYU behind. He made the right move, unless he just wanted to stay at BYU and have an "awesome" experience.

And, I am really happy for Kuzma. Every single piece of info I have about him is that he is a great kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I posted months ago that Mika was better off declaring and working on his perimeter game than staying at BYU and watching those little fuckers jack up NBA 3s. I didn't expect him to follow that advice. If he wants to have any chance whatsoever at playing at the next level, he needed to leave BYU behind. He made the right move, unless he just wanted to stay at BYU and have an "awesome" experience.

And, I am really happy for Kuzma. Every single piece of info I have about him is that he is a great kid.
    some Y were telling me that Mika should have stayed and worked on his perimeter game there, as if Emery or haws or anybody else was ever going to give up a perrmeter shot, or Rose was going to let him stroll out there.

Not a chance Mika would have stayed. He had a miserable year with that team (meaning he was miserable, not that his play was miserable). Childs hated it there, too. I am very surprised Childs hasn't bolted. He supposedly thinks that he might be a professional in a year because he thinks he'll be their primary post player with Mika gone, which is why he doesn't want to have to sit out this year.

Mika was so done with that program that after the season ended he did all of his working out at UVU. He didn't want to be around that program at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not a chance Mika would have stayed. He had a miserable year with that team (meaning he was miserable, not that his play was miserable). Childs hated it there, too. I am very surprised Childs hasn't bolted. He supposedly thinks that he might be a professional in a year because he thinks he'll be their primary post player with Mika gone, which is why he doesn't want to have to sit out this year.

Mika was so done with that program that after the season ended he did all of his working out at UVU. He didn't want to be around that program at all.
    I had heard that if Mika had opted out of the draft, he would have transferred to the U, but wouldnt he have had to sit out a year? He couldn't afford that.

Looks like the Utes are in a battle with SDSU for Matt Mitchell. Can the Utes win a recruiting battle?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...629-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Looks like the Utes are in a battle with SDSU for Matt Mitchell. Can the Utes win a recruiting battle?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...629-story.html
    Given LK's recent recruiting track record, I have no clue how this one will go. We are not even going up against any of our P12 brethren on this one.

It's between us and SDSU and SDSU had the last visit.

We need him badly. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

At some point, we will play the game or continue losing these battles.

The Jazz could pay Hayward 30 mil more than Boston and he still left. Maybe it is harder to get guys to Utah then we want to believe.

The Jazz could pay Hayward 30 mil more than Boston and he still left. Maybe it is harder to get guys to Utah then we want to believe.
    Yup. The outside world sees us as polygamist Amish people who don't drink. We are the weirdest people on the earth to them.

When I moved to Philly some people thought Mormons lived without power.

When I moved to Philly some people thought Mormons lived without power.
    After watching the Hayward thing go down, living without power seems to be an accurate description.

Except he can make 2x that in endorsements in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Except he can make 2x that in endorsements in Boston.
    The guy is making more in one year than I would make if I worked for 642 years. I think he'll survive either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the extra money that Jazz could pay is worthless. Most of it accrues in the 5th year, and nobody wants to sign a 5 year contract. They want to opt out after 3 so they can try to get a supermax contract. Hayward wants his next contract when he is 30, not 32 or 33.

I was reading an article the other day that the NBA has to find a different way to protect small market teams--like enabling them to pay substantially more in years 1-3 of the K. As it is now, the difference is only a couple of million per year, not enough to sneeze at.

Hey...stop using this thread to talk about Jazz.

Every time I see there's a new post, I think there's an update on 2017 commits.

Any news on the Matt Mitchell decision? I've been seat filling for LAUte in Southern California while he's away and keep expecting to see an announcement.

What I've heard doesn't sound promising. It seems like a decision is a couple weeks away.

Per Jeff Goodman at ESPN:

Southern Utah guard Randy Onwuasor told ESPN he has asked for his release. Averaged 23.6 points last season. Would be a grad transfer.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Matt Mitchell update of sorts. Utes still in it, but others are jumping on board. I am not optimistic. https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....2la-summer-jam

Matt Mitchell update of sorts. Utes still in it, but others are jumping on board. I am not optimistic. https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....2la-summer-jam
    Ugh. Our track record is not promising here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Ugh. Our track record is not promising here.
    Yeah, I'm thinking we don't beat Oregon and USC on this. Bummer.