Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

The Blackhawks have 99 cap problems, with Panarin 6 million demand being 6 of them. I hate the damn cap.
    Time to get this thing started for the 2016-2017 NHL season.

I wish I was a bit more optimistic about the Blackhawks prospects at a cup this year. However, there is just too many damn unknowns with the reliance on young forwards. I like Panik, but it is scary seeing him in the top 6. Hossa is awesome and a hall of famer, but he just isn't a top 6 forward anymore either.

Panarin demanding 6 million may end up adding him to the list of Blackhawks that are successful somewhere else.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

This is my annual post predicting (hoping) the Caps breakthrough. Not holding my breath.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

That first game of the season was ugly. Really really ugly. Horrible possession numbers, bad on the dot, and bad killing penalties.

The only positives were seeing Panik and Hartman get goals. Really scary to be relying this much on those young players.

I think this year is the Lightning's year. Maybe it would be the Caps year in DNF would post more than once a year.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I'm a firm believer that the NHL season needs to go about 50 games and begin on January 1 with the winter classic.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Demigod scores his 500th career goal. It is amazing to me that there are people that argue that Hossa isn't a HOFer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com

Blackhawks with injuries have such forward depth problem that Campbell is playing left wing.

--fjm.com

It is looking like Panik will be the next great find by StanBo that we lose to free agency. May the cap rot in Hell.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    It is looking like Panik will be the next great find by StanBo that we lose to free agency. May the cap rot in Hell.
    Panik is getting much more ice time this year than at anytime in the past because someone has to play right wing with Toews (and they don't want to play Kane there), and he will get many more points due to that than anything about him. Without Toews, he is still a 30 point guy. Same with Panarin, if he ever doesn't play with Kane, watch his points drop. Panik is NOT a diamond in the rough, he is a 3rd line/4th line guy playing with the best center on the planet not named Crosby.

As for the cap, I get your hate as a Blackhawks fan. My own team is going to have massive decisions to make next year and will have to do what Chicago has been doing.
    Last edited by LuckyUte; 10-24-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Panik is getting much more ice time this year than at anytime in the past because someone has to play right wing with Toews (and they don't want to play Kane there), and he will get many more points due to that than anything about him. Without Toews, he is still a 30 point guy. Same with Panarin, if he ever doesn't play with Kane, watch his points drop. Panik is NOT a diamond in the rough, he is a 3rd line/4th line guy playing with the best center on the planet not named Crosby.

As for the cap, I get your hate as a Blackhawks fan. My own team is going to have massive decisions to make next year and will have to do what Chicago has been doing.
    It may just be a hot start for Panik, but he was playing LW for the Blackhawks last season with Toews/Hossa and not producing like this. I get that the move to RW probably suits him a bit better though. I liked what he brought last year, I would have never guessed he would have 6 goals in 6 games to start this year though. He might be a diamond in the rough. Either way, he is young enough that if he gets to the 25+ goals this year and around 50ish points, we are going to lose him.

I'm going to disagree on Panarin. The guy is a legit NHL talent and would produce anywhere.

Its nuts this year to see that the most frequent line combination with Toews this year has been Motte-Toews-Panik. We have been gutted with the cap and injuries have hurt a lot too. It is going to get worse as the Demigod continues to age. If Hossa retires before his contract is up, it is going to be even scarier. The cap recapture penalty can rot in a deeper level of hell than the cap.
    --fjm.com

Its nuts this year to see that the most frequent line combination with Toews this year has been Motte-Toews-Panik. We have been gutted with the cap and injuries have hurt a lot too. It is going to get worse as the Demigod continues to age. If Hossa retires before his contract is up, it is going to be even scarier. The cap recapture penalty can rot in a deeper level of hell than the cap.
    Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.

Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.
    Here is why it bothers me. The league had the option to and did not reject the contract for circumventing the cap. The league exercised this option with Ilya Kovulchuk's deal. Although, I get it, the collective bargaining agreement targeted these contracts and it was signed off on by the league owners, so we have to deal with it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I agree with you that Hossa should have multiple Selke trophies if not for the fact that it has somehow become the best defensive center award.

Even when Toews won the thing, it should have gone to Hossa.
    --fjm.com

I'm still hopeful for this year. The team is not playing well, but there are issues that can be fixed. The blueline has been rebuilt this year and I'm really happy with it. It is good enough that there was a potential of Campbell getting some rest here and there.

Kempny and Forsling have been really solid additions.

I'm not sure where the season goes, but for the first time in several years I doubt that I will be posting "I miss Nick Leddy."
    --fjm.com

Interesting tinkering with the lines by the Q-Stache.

He goes the Kane - Toews nuclear option. The line of Panarin - Ansimov - Hossa is a really interesting call. It gives Panarin a ton of space to work. I like it.

--fjm.com

I realize that there will be another point where the Q-Stache will have to shake up his lines, but it has been downright awesome since the change.

Hossa is a different player right now. He is producing offensively in a way that he hasn't in over 4 years. Toews is once again putting put points and goals. 11 game point streak going, even after some really tough games over the weekend.

I love this team right now. I don't know how StanBo keeps this team as contenders with all the turnover. They are never going to be bad with Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith, but the fact they are remaining contenders even with 10.5 million attached to Kane/Toews is pretty damn impressive.
    --fjm.com

I realize that there will be another point where the Q-Stache will have to shake up his lines, but it has been downright awesome since the change.

Hossa is a different player right now. He is producing offensively in a way that he hasn't in over 4 years. Toews is once again putting put points and goals. 11 game point streak going, even after some really tough games over the weekend.

I love this team right now. I don't know how StanBo keeps this team as contenders with all the turnover. They are never going to be bad with Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith, but the fact they are remaining contenders even with 10.5 million attached to Kane/Toews is pretty damn impressive.

Not good enough to beat my Capitals on Friday, at home. HA! Did they ever get their PK% over 50?

Not good enough to beat my Capitals on Friday, at home. HA! Did they ever get their PK% over 50?
    Hey we got a point. PK is trending right. 66.7 that is winning hockey.

--fjm.com

Hey! A fellow Caps fan! Alright!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Hey! A fellow Caps fan! Alright!
    Looking forward to losing to those damn Penguins tonight. Will be in my usual section 107 seats.

Ive got 99 cap problems but the Mullet aint 1 2016 17 NHL Thread

do you think it could be so simpleii as when it got rear ended that they had to replace some of the rear suspension and the preload didnt get set right? Lee

Alright, it is time to start hyping the Blackhawks Stanley Cup prospects. December and January were ugly, but the Blackhawks seem to be hitting their stride in February. The young players are showing promise and I'm starting to feel confidence that we can make a run with them. Schmaltz and Hartman have been great. Toews is playing like Toews again and that makes a huge difference.

The team has survived the inevitable cool down from the Demi-God. He has settled in nicely as a 3rd/4th liner. We have been able back off the nuclear option of Toew-Kane on the same line.

It is looking good for a cap run.
    --fjm.com

It is looking good for a cap run.
    Yes, indeed, the Caps look strong. Looking forward to a 4-0 sweep of the Hawks in the Cup finals.

Yes, indeed, the Caps look strong. Looking forward to a 4-0 sweep of the Hawks in the Cup finals.
    They are possessing the puck well this year, a metric I know Funk cares about.

They are possessing the puck well this year, a metric I know Funk cares about.

If by cares a lot you mean it is the metric that has shown to predict success and has been how the Blackhawks built our dynasty, yes I care a lot.

The Caps problem traditionally has been they are a bad possession team.

--fjm.com

Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.

If by cares a lot you mean it is the metric that has shown to predict success and has been how the Blackhawks built our dynasty, yes I care a lot.

Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.
    I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.

I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.
    What I always like to look at most is CF% 5v5 Close and FF% 5v5 Close. I think when you isolate it out for situations where the game is on the line and when it is even strength, you get the best sense of a teams puck possession metrics. In the playoffs this is where you are going to see the most time on the ice.

I've got to say there are some weird results right now in this respect. LA is first in CF% 5v5 Close, but are out of the playoffs. It doesn't surprise me that the Kings are a great puck possession team, they always have been, but it does surprise me it is not leading to results right now. Boston is 2nd in the league. While I'm hyping the Blackhawks, I don't love that the CF% 5v5 Close is 11th in the league. Also, for some reason the Blackhawks Fenwick numbers are pretty bad at 20th in the league.

The next thing to look at evaluating teams is PDO. This is where I'd be worried if I'm a Caps fan. Caps are 1st in the league in PDO. They are not a PDO neutral team at 104.1. Blackhawks PDO gives me cause for concern as well. Also, PDO explains a lot of what is happening in LA, in short, that team is ridiculously unlucky.

Great, now I'm talking myself out of the Blackhawks cup run.
    --fjm.com

Caps trade for Shattenkirk from the Blues.

I am totally geeking out right now!!!

Nice to get him out of the Central. Any thoughts about the prospects you shipped out?

--fjm.com

All apologies to Redbird, but I really like the way that Armstrong is tearing the Blues apart.

Overpriced contracts to middling players like Steen, Lehtera, and Berglund have been great. Those contracts capped out Shattenkirk.

This is where Bowman gets it right. Identify your core, keep them, and find ways to fit in the other parts. Shattenkirk would have been without a doubt a core player if Bowman was there.

--fjm.com