Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

Oh and other call that after all the shit they let go including to high sticks to Kane before it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpfunk; 04-15-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Oh and other call that after all the shit they let go including to high sticks to Kane before it.

We've got that with Boyle in our series. Typical Caps to not be able to win 2 at home. Toronto has had way more energy so far through 2 games.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We've got that with Boyle in our series. Typical Caps to not be able to win 2 at home. Toronto has had way more energy so far through 2 games.

watched the Sharks and Oilers last night, great defensive battle with excellent goal tending. 0-0 game until about 7 minutes left in the 3rd when the Sharks forced an errant pass, Oilers intercepted it and snuck a shot through.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    watched the Sharks and Oilers last night, great defensive battle with excellent goal tending. 0-0 game until about 7 minutes left in the 3rd when the Sharks forced an errant pass, Oilers intercepted it and snuck a shot through.
    Scorcho: The SJS-EDM series really intrigues me. The Sharks had injuries to their top two centers (though Thornton is back) and being able to even compete in the series at all, is pretty amazing. To lose in the way they did yesterday, is really gut wrenching. I am really pulling for SJS. I like that team, and they have Joel Ward, a favorite of mine. Hopefully, they can find a way to stick it to their old coach.
    Last edited by LuckyUte; 04-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Who likes overtime all night long? Wow.

The Caps are in trouble. Down 2-1 to a team that is playing lose and doesn't care how many Presidents cup trophies the caps have won during the regular season. Wed is a must win.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Funk, so sorry about your Hawks, man. I hope you are doing OK? That must have been tough to swallow. Being a Capitals fan is a very masochistic thing to be, but at least my team has never been swept like that in the first round.

I read this article this morning and wondered what you think... Do you think it is true the fill-in youngsters just weren't quite ready or good enough?

http://deadspin.com/yes-the-predator...-bl-1794524407

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Funk, so sorry about your Hawks, man. I hope you are doing OK? That must have been tough to swallow. Being a Capitals fan is a very masochistic thing to be, but at least my team has never been swept like that in the first round.

I read this article this morning and wondered what you think... Do you think it is true the fill-in youngsters just weren't quite ready or good enough?

http://deadspin.com/yes-the-predator...-bl-1794524407
    I don't blame the young players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Panarin, didnt show up.

It sucked. Easily the worst playoff performance for the Hawks in the Kane/Toews era. I fear the dynasty is done.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I don't blame the young players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, Panarin, didnt show up.

It sucked. Easily the worst playoff performance for the Hawks in the Kane/Toews era. I fear the dynasty is done.

Funk, I don't think it is necessarily done. If the kids improve year over year, you are right back at the top of the Central and West standings, looking good to move on. Toews didn't have his best year, as you know, but he sure did have a good second half of the season, I think. I wonder what we will see next year from him.

Down to 8:

Nashville/St Louis. Go Blues.
    Edmonton/Anaheim. Go Oilers.
    NY/Ottowa. Go Senators.
    Pittsburgh/Washington. Go Penguins (Sorry, DnF).

The smart pick here is the Pens. They know how to win and have the Stanley Cups to prove it. It would be nice to see Ovi break through against Crosby and Malkin, but I'm trying not to get the hopes too high here.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Down to 8:

Nashville/St Louis. Go Blues.
    Edmonton/Anaheim. Go Oilers.
    NY/Ottowa. Go Senators.
    Pittsburgh/Washington. Go Penguins (Sorry, DnF).
    Go Blues, but Nashville will win. Allen turns into a pumpkin

Edm/Ana, I don't like Randy Carlyle and I liked it when Edmonton couldn't win, that was fun wondering how it would end badly for them. Anaheim will win, but neutral on who I am cheering for.

I hate the Rangers almost as much as I hate the Dodgers, which is a whole hell of a lot. Go Sens, but the Rangers will win.

Pitt/Wash. I do hate the Pens more than I hate the Dodgers, which by itself is a giant fiery ball of hate, so imagine the size of my hate for the Pens. I hope the Caps can make it easy, but I know it won't be. No prediction. It will be a very close series. I can feel my heart attack coming on, already.

I'm not sure what to make of the hit on Crosby. It looks vicious in slow motion, but in real time didn't look too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of the hit on Crosby. It looks vicious in slow motion, but in real time didn't look too bad.
    I'm not conflicted on that hit. Before giving my opinion, I want the Pens to lose. Of the teams left, i hate them most.

The hit was dirty. It is that type of shit that is destroying the league. It was Raffi Torres style headhunting.

--fjm.com

I'm not conflicted on that hit. Before giving my opinion, I want the Pens to lose. Of the teams left, i hate them most.

The hit was dirty. It is that type of shit that is destroying the league. It was Raffi Torres style headhunting.

Plus, it's a real shame. Crosby's between the legs assist in game two was sweet.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Look, I'm a Caps fan, you all know that, so my take will obviously be a little different. Do I think the Caps had a closed-door players only meeting and decided to take Crosby out? No, that's silly. The problem with this particular play is that it is more like the defenseless receiver that ducks his head and gets popped than anything else. It's a bang/bang play and Niskinan just happened to be the guy there bracing himself for a hit. I don't think you can call it head hunting, as Crosby was charging towards Niskanan, not the other way around. Far worse, IMO, was the slash by Ovi that ended up knocking Crosby off-balance a little bit in addition to him charging at the Goalie.

In the Leafs series, one of the Leafs players took a run at Ovi and took his knee right out from under him and flipped him over. Most experts called that, technically, a hockey play (hip check) despite the result that left Ovi on the ice and out for the rest of the period.

It's a physical sport and a physical series. I think the Caps knew they needed to step up and not just wilt to the mighty Pens, which is what Game 3 so physical. Hell, the Pens knocked out one of their own guys trying to headhunt on Lars Eller, and they also took a big run at TJ Oshie. I'm certain there will be retribution tonight.

Well...Orlov kicks one in the goal and Bonino draws a phantom high stick in the last two minutes. 3-1 Pens.

Ovi has been a non factor the last two games. I suspect they'll get it back to Pitt for game 6, but that's it.

Well...Orlov kicks one in the goal and Bonino draws a phantom high stick in the last two minutes. 3-1 Pens.

Ovi has been a non factor the last two games. I suspect they'll get it back to Pitt for game 6, but that's it.

Watching that game last night made me just sick. So much domination and so little to show for it. As a Caps fan since 1980, I have been through the ringer a lot with this franchise, and frankly, I am at this point resigned that we will never win a cup.

Watching last night reminded of Macbeth and his soliloquy on death...

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day. To the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. <emphasis added>

The Caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

The Caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

Gotta think Washington is now the favorite. The series turned on the Crosby injury, right?

Quote Originally Posted by drumnfeather View Post
    the caps force game 7...will they break through? Or break our hearts again?

Sent from my lg-d800 using tapatalk
    let'sgocaps!

I've got no words. I really thought this was the year they'd break through. After surviving Toronto and charging back vs. the Pens, the conference finals seemed inevitable...then the old Caps showed up. There's no question Ovi was playing injured these playoffs...even so, the Pens are playing without their top Goalie, Defensemen, and Crosby's brain is hamburger. Yet they found a way in the most important game of the season to get it done. When will that be the Caps? More evidence that the regular season is completely meaningless.

Ducks up 2-0 in the 3rd, looks like this series will be tied 2-2. Good series so far

I jinxed the Ducks, tied 2-2

Ducks win 3-2 in OT

2OT game 7? Ok.

All yellow finals. Nashville has been pretty fun to watch. I'm rooting for Pittsburgh since one of my cub scouts just moved in from there and is a fan.

NHL season in the books as well...lousy Pens.

Ouch. Hossa to miss the entire 17-18 season: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bl...2017-18-season

Ouch. Hossa to miss the entire 17-18 season: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bl...2017-18-season
    There goes about 6 million cap problems.

I know there is a lot of people calling foul on this one, but no way we can get Hossa value with the money saved.

This is bad for the Blackhawks. I really hope this isn't the end for Hossa.

--fjm.com

The Blackhawks dynasty is over. Losing Hossa and Hjammer in a week, what an awful awful week.
    --fjm.com