Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Nice to get him out of the Central. Any thoughts about the prospects you shipped out?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I don't know a ton about the guys in the system absent a few names that you hear here and there. I know that they did not want their top prospect as part of the deal and they were able to get that done, so that's good. I do think that Shattenkirk will put a ton of pressure on the current defenseman there to step up in the playoffs, which is what we need.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Nice to get him out of the Central. Any thoughts about the prospects you shipped out?

Malone is a career AHL 4th liner with no upside. Sanford is a big body who will fill out and projects to a 3rd line center. He had played about 25 games with the Caps and held his own, but he needs seasoning. He came out of university a bit early, probably could have used another year.

Essentially, the Caps got Oshie and Shattenkirk for Sanford, Brouwer, Malone, and picks back and forth. Oh, and Copley to and from. Shattenkirk will sign with the NYR after the season, so a bit of a price to pay for a pure rental, but, frankly, those draft picks won't mean too much long term. Armie really wanted Sanford.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Malone is a career AHL 4th liner with no upside. Sanford is a big body who will fill out and projects to a 3rd line center. He had played about 25 games with the Caps and held his own, but he needs seasoning. He came out of university a bit early, probably could have used another year.

Essentially, the Caps got Oshie and Shattenkirk for Sanford, Brouwer, Malone, and picks back and forth. Oh, and Copley to and from. Shattenkirk will sign with the NYR after the season, so a bit of a price to pay for a pure rental, but, frankly, those draft picks won't mean too much long term. Armie really wanted Sanford.
    Blackhawks paid a lot for Vermette in 2015. It was worth it. It is all about identifying your core and being willing to part with those non-core assets when needed. It sure sounds like the Caps pulled off a great trade.

Blackhawks trade next to nothing to get Johnny Oduya back in Chicago to give some depth on the blueline.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I miss Nick Leddy. Ultimately, he has been the biggest loss the Blackhawks have felt through re-tooling over the years. Well, him or Saad.

Blackhawks in 5 over the Caps. Then we can move on to next year and talk about Alex DeBrincat following in the footsteps of small quick hockey Blackhawks like Kane and Panarin.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Great goal by Panik.
    https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video...096/c-49880903

Blackhawks playing great hockey. I'm somewhat concerned like last year they are peaking too soon.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Oh and Darling is going to be paid this off season. I'm going to miss the luxury of having him as a backup. I'd fully support moving Crawford and signing Darling for 4 million.

--fjm.com

Oh and Darling is going to be paid this off season. I'm going to miss the luxury of having him as a backup. I'd fully support moving Crawford and signing Darling for 4 million.

That's just good roster cap management. If you can get about the same save percentage for a few million dollars, less... woohoo!

That's just good roster cap management. If you can get about the same save percentage for a few million dollars, less... woohoo!
    The unfortunate thing is that with Crawford's no movement clause it isn't happening.

--fjm.com

Darling out 3 weeks.

--fjm.com

The President's trophy race has suddenly got very interesting.

Caps: 100 points - 11 games remaining
    Blue Jackets: 98 points - 12 games remaining
    Pens: 97 points - 12 games remaining
    Blackhawks: 97 points - 11 games remaining.

It's looking like the power of the league has shifted back to the East.

The Central is no longer the best division. Preds and Blues have really taken steps back. Blackhawks are still elite though.

--fjm.com

The President's trophy race has suddenly got very interesting.

Caps: 100 points - 11 games remaining
    Blue Jackets: 98 points - 12 games remaining
    Pens: 97 points - 12 games remaining
    Blackhawks: 97 points - 11 games remaining.

It's looking like the power of the league has shifted back to the East.

The Central is no longer the best division. Preds and Blues have really taken steps back. Blackhawks are still elite though.

Going into this year, I felt that it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the Caps to not win their 2nd straight President Trophy. You know, save it for the playoffs and all that. But considering, four of the top six teams in the league are in the Metro division and with the incredibly idiotic playoff system, the Caps need to finish first in order to avoid having to face the Blue Jackets and the Penguins to even make the conference finals. Unbelievable to believe that one of these three teams would have to beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the entire league just to get out of the division. Then have every Tom, Dick and Gord tell you you're season sucked because you couldn't get out of the second round. Two incredibly great teams will have that happen to them.

Going into this year, I felt that it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for the Caps to not win their 2nd straight President Trophy. You know, save it for the playoffs and all that. But considering, four of the top six teams in the league are in the Metro division and with the incredibly idiotic playoff system, the Caps need to finish first in order to avoid having to face the Blue Jackets and the Penguins to even make the conference finals. Unbelievable to believe that one of these three teams would have to beat 2 of the 3 best teams in the entire league just to get out of the division. Then have every Tom, Dick and Gord tell you you're season sucked because you couldn't get out of the second round. Two incredibly great teams will have that happen to them.
    I had the same complaint about the Central for years. This year not so much.

--fjm.com

You are welcome Caps fans.

That was a fun game. Kane had 2 great assists tonight. The one to Panarin was amazing.

--fjm.com

You are welcome Caps fans.

That was a fun game. Kane had 2 great assists tonight. The one to Panarin was amazing.

I keep hoping that there will be a clear sign that things will be different this year in the postseason for the Caps. I'm thinking that it is that they haven't stuck to their guns, and they've brought in some dudes that can help support Ovi and Oshie. We're not far away now...I'd love yo see them make a serious run at the Cup.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I keep hoping that there will be a clear sign that things will be different this year in the postseason for the Caps. I'm thinking that it is that they haven't stuck to their guns, and they've brought in some dudes that can help support Ovi and Oshie. We're not far away now...I'd love yo see them make a serious run at the Cup.
    I really feel good about this year. I didn't last year, because I didn't think we had enough depth. Once Alzner got injured in game 5 against PIT we were done. Plus the husk of Mike Richards was a sad excuse for a 3rd line center. This year, 3rd line is much better, defense has much more depth. It will always take a bit of luck to win the Stanley Cup, but the Caps have everything else ready to go.

As for the Hawks-Pens game, NHL.com had an article that said basically, wouldn't a Pens-Hawks stanley cup be great. I threw up all over my computer right then.

I did listen to Mike Lange on the radio for a bit driving home last night and in about 10 minutes heard that @$$ call three Hawk goals. Twas nice.

You are welcome again Caps. I think the Blackhawks just settled the Presidents Trophy race. It is going to the Caps.

Also, I think we have the west locked up. 9 point lead with the Wild having 5 to play.

--fjm.com

Blackhawks are out of the Presidents Trophy race and have the west locked up. We would have to win the next 3 and have the Caps lose 4 straight. I'm not sure it matters so much finishing ahead of the Pens and Columbus.

Time to rest the next 3 games.

--fjm.com

Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook all to be healthy scratches tonight. Congrats on the win Ducks.
    --fjm.com

Caps win the President's trophy for the second year in a row. Now the real work begins.

Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook all to be healthy scratches tonight. Congrats on the win Ducks.
    Heh.

Last night the Rangers had several guys scratched, and since the Caps needed one point to clinch, they played their regular roster.

Caps win the President's trophy for the second year in a row. Now the real work begins.
    I mentioned earlier that I felt the Caps are much deeper this year than last. With the news that Letang is out for the playoffs for Pittsburgh, that is huge and excellent news (not that he is injured, just that the Pengies won't have him). This is like the Blackhawks losing Duncan Keith. Last year in the Pens/Caps series Letang played almost 30 minutes a game and was a major reason for the Pens Cup win last year. He is very undervalued on that team.

So now, Pitt/Columbus series just got way more interesting. With many other eastern teams slumping right now, this may be the best chance the Caps have ever had to win, outside of 1998, that is.

I mentioned earlier that I felt the Caps are much deeper this year than last. With the news that Letang is out for the playoffs for Pittsburgh, that is huge and excellent news (not that he is injured, just that the Pengies won't have him). This is like the Blackhawks losing Duncan Keith. Last year in the Pens/Caps series Letang played almost 30 minutes a game and was a major reason for the Pens Cup win last year. He is very undervalued on that team.

So now, Pitt/Columbus series just got way more interesting. With many other eastern teams slumping right now, this may be the best chance the Caps have ever had to win, outside of 1998, that is.
    I think they've got the right guy behind the bench and in the net. They've got the best goal scorer in Ovi, and I think the defensemen will be better than what we've seen in the past (Mike Green). Hopefully the stars align here.

I think they've got the right guy behind the bench and in the net. They've got the best goal scorer in Ovi, and I think the defensemen will be better than what we've seen in the past (Mike Green). Hopefully the stars align here.
    It would be fun to beat a new team in the finals this year. I'm hoping though for the Pens for some old school revenge from 1992.

--fjm.com

It would be fun to beat a new team in the finals this year. I'm hoping though for the Pens for some old school revenge from 1992.

You are dead to me.

You are dead to me.
    You'll have to forgive funk, he was probably pretty far gone when he posted that.

Caps get the Leafs in the first round. Hopefully that means they avoid the upsets they've grown so accustomed to vs. PHI, NYG, etc.

Caps get the Leafs in the first round. Hopefully that means they avoid the upsets they've grown so accustomed to vs. PHI, NYG, etc.
    Yes, but Toronto scares me more than Boston would have.

Road teams go 5-3 in the first games of each series. Caps got in a 2-0 hole early and came back to win it in OT.

Road teams go 5-3 in the first games of each series. Caps got in a 2-0 hole early and came back to win it in OT.
    The Booth was rocking last night, so loud when Wilson scored. My season seats are behind the visiting goalie for 1st and 3rd partway up, so I had a great view of Andersen stopping just about everything. He played very very well. That said, playoff interference and holding rules are fully in effect.

Funk, since I was at the Caps game, didn't get to see what happened to your Hawks, what's going on?

The Booth was rocking last night, so loud when Wilson scored. My season seats are behind the visiting goalie for 1st and 3rd partway up, so I had a great view of Andersen stopping just about everything. He played very very well. That said, playoff interference and holding rules are fully in effect.

Funk, since I was at the Caps game, didn't get to see what happened to your Hawks, what's going on?
    Bad first period. Great play by Rinne.

--fjm.com

I'm so damn sick of the NHL prioritizing thugs over skill. A good 2 to 3 obvious missed penalties on that last series by the Preds. Absolutely bullshit what they are letting them get away with.

--fjm.com