Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: utefans.net

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Probably the Texaco on 21st East. Nothing to see there now but Ray's Barbershop is still there.
    You mean Ingvar's Barber Shop. Ray was his trainee.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    You mean Ingvar's Barber Shop. Ray was his trainee.
    Ingvar Brunsvik? That was on 17th East.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Youre right. 17th East and 17th South. A much better neighborhood. How could I make that mistake. I'm getting old.

It's just dawned on me. You were probably one of those hoods my brothers warned me hung out in the gully - Bob and Gary Thorup and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Another Clayton here. But I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who was cool enough to go to Bonneville Elementary.
    Bobcat4life!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Bobcat4life!!!
    Didn't know Bobcat Goldthwait had a fan club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    It's just dawned on me. You were probably one of those hoods my brothers warned me hung out in the gully - Bob and Gary Thorup and you.
    Ingvar's was just up the street from our house. I'd walk up there to get my twice-monthly crewcut. He had great comic books to read while that was happening.

Yes, we hung out in the gully often. I was right across the street from our house. Mostly we just played army and cowboys and stuff like that. Nowadays it would be considered dangerous for young kids to play there. It probably was then, too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Bobcat4life!!!

Well that just took a lot of the luster off of Bonneville.

Quote Originally Posted by It's me, moose again View Post
    Would RockerUte please get back over there to UF.N and lend a hand? Pretty silly to let some dumb kid like Green Storm Ute run you off, RockerUte.
    We share something in common... I'm not allowed to post at UF.n anymore.

Ingvar's was just up the street from our house. I'd walk up there to get my twice-monthly crewcut. He had great comic books to read while that was happening.

Yes, we hung out in the gully often. I was right across the street from our house. Mostly we just played army and cowboys and stuff like that. Nowadays it would be considered dangerous for young kids to play there. It probably was then, too.
    It is a park and a nature preserve now. Lots of kids play there and lots of people walk there dogs thru the gully

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It is a park and a nature preserve now. Lots of kids play there and lots of people walk there dogs thru the gully
    I am going to have to visit! I took my sons there when they were little and it was still undeveloped. They thought it was the coolest place they've ever seen and were envious that I got to play there as a boy.

--Yeats

It looked like there were cliques there but I agree, calling them "elites" is a bit too much.

One time I was listening to a game on KALL and decided to join the Utefans chat room but almost everyone was in a private room where you needed an invite and I wasn't invited to their little circle jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    One time I was listening to a game on KALL and decided to join the Utefans chat room but almost everyone was in a private room where you needed an invite and I wasn't invited to their little circle jerk.
    I hope you stick around here. Our goal is to grow a community of Utah fans, people who love the University of Utah, and who want to enjoy each other's company and share their Ute sports-related passion and ideas in a respectful, friendly environment.

--Yeats

.... I'd walk up there to get my twice-monthly crewcut......Mostly we just played army and cowboys and stuff like that.....

Come on man!! You should've been protesting the war and thumbing a ride to Woodstock. Have you always been a squeaky clean goofball? -- and I ask that with all the kindness I can muster.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Come on man!! You should've been protesting the war and thumbing a ride to Woodstock. Have you always been a squeaky clean goofball? -- and I ask that with all the kindness I can muster.
    I can answer this for him.

Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I was about 10 years old. My radical side was yet to emerge. (The goofball side had always been out.)

--Yeats

I was about 10 years old. My radical side was yet to emerge. (The goofball side had always been out.)

Goofball? Nah. Radical? You never had braid on the bottom of your levis.

Just saw this on Facebook:

Shelynn Evans

38 mins ·

My brother Chris Evans just passed away! ������
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Just saw this on Facebook:
    Very sad. Not surprising but terribly sad. He was a good man at heart. Just a few days ago I was just wearing the UteFans.net t-shirt he gave me. Still one of my favorites.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.

--Yeats

Wow. Any idea what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Wow. Any idea what happened?

I've heard two different explanations this morning. 1. Drank himself to death and 2. Diabetes.

My diagnosis: both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I've heard two different explanations this morning. 1. Drank himself to death and 2. Diabetes.

My diagnosis: both.

Well I feel like an asshole. I was pissed at Chris for running Utefans into the ground. Clearly i underestimated the demons he was facing.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

utefans.net

Many of us have been close to someone who is battling alcoholism or some other addiction. We know very well that the demons are real, the pain is real, and the odds against success seem almost impossible much of the time. At this point what runs through my mind is that we have lost a kind and generous man who had a positive effect on the lives of just about everyone who posts here, and hundreds, if not thousands, of other people with a shared passion for the Utah Utes. I'm sorry he's gone and I will miss him.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Of all the signature lines on the board, this is my favorite.......by far (thank you Seattle Ute). I repeat it in my head every single morning, and yet, still often fail.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

From another forum. The tailgate has been extended from the original 11 - 1 to 11 - 2.

Please see this thread: http://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/a...rial-tailgate/