Thread: 2017 NFL draft: Utah edition

2017 NFL draft: Utah edition

I know, I know, it's premature; and I know, I know, bad karma. Screw that! I'm all about the truth!

So we lost a lot of seniors next year (Domo, B Allen, Hunter, Rumblin Joe, Asiata, Dielman, etc). But the real losses could come from the junior class. Is there any hope of keeping Lowell OR Marcus Williams around next year? They are project as 1-2 round picks THIS YEAR! I guess there is precedent (Star's brother stayed), but is there a realistic shot of holding on to these two? Also, I don't see him anywhere, but I suspect Boilles could be drafted if he left early. The dude is HUGE, and mean dudes his size are not a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I know, I know, it's premature; and I know, I know, bad karma. Screw that! I'm all about the truth!

So we lost a lot of seniors next year (Domo, B Allen, Hunter, Rumblin Joe, Asiata, Dielman, etc). But the real losses could come from the junior class. Is there any hope of keeping Lowell OR Marcus Williams around next year? They are project as 1-2 round picks THIS YEAR! I guess there is precedent (Star's brother stayed), but is there a realistic shot of holding on to these two? Also, I don't see him anywhere, but I suspect Boilles could be drafted if he left early. The dude is HUGE, and mean dudes his size are not a dime a dozen.
    I don't think the team has any expectation that Lowell or Marcus Williams will be back next year. The devastating loss would be Bolles, and I suspect it is becoming more possible all the time.

Star came back because he was a third round projection. He upped himself to first round status, which is the smart thing to do.

Lowell and Marcus are already first rounders. There isn't a single reason for them to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What about my entertainment? That's a reason.

I don't know if Marcus is really a first rounder.
    Marcus has graded out as the best safety in football this year.

He has been mocked in the first as well.

That being said, if he doesn't test well, I could see him dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Marcus has graded out as the best safety in football this year.

He has been mocked in the first as well.

That being said, if he doesn't test well, I could see him dropping.
    Or if his injury lags into combine season etc...he could slip.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I love Marcus but I don't think he's a first rounder and maybe not even a second rounder. He also has work to do. I've been told that he needs to get better against the run to make a better impact in the NFL. I think he returns next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I love Marcus but I don't think he's a first rounder and maybe not even a second rounder. He also has work to do. I've been told that he needs to get better against the run to make a better impact in the NFL. I think he returns next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

I think Hunter Dimick is a pro (he's a senior, but I thought I would add to the list)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I think Hunter Dimick is a pro (he's a senior, but I thought I would add to the list)
    Most publications have him as an undrafted free agent. I think the same knock on him is what kept him at Utah (as a 2 star recruit if memory serves): his height.

This prognostication has both Lowell and Marcus in the first round, fwiw

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...eshaun-watson/

I read or heard somewhere (maybe here) that Bolles has graded out as the #1 tackle in run blocking in the country. He's older and has a family, so I would guess he's gone if he believes he'll go in the first two days of the draft.

He is fun to watch. He makes mistakes, yes, but I don't think we've ever seen a lineman like him in a Utah uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    I read or heard somewhere (maybe here) that Bolles has graded out as the #1 tackle in run blocking in the country. He's older and has a family, so I would guess he's gone if he believes he'll go in the first two days of the draft.

He is fun to watch. He makes mistakes, yes, but I don't think we've ever seen a lineman like him in a Utah uniform.
    He moves so well - I love to watch him pull (as a tackle!).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So will he be a tackle in the NFL? Guard?
    Tackle. He's legit. He has 15+ million a year potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post

Hans Olsen has been trying to prep Utah fans into accepting the fact that he's gone at the end of the year. This is the piece that came out today that confirmed his high praises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Bolles isn't graded out as a first rounder, I'd come back. The guaranteed money is so small outside of the first round and so high in the first round. For example, a third round pick gets about 2.5 million dollars over the life of his deal, very little guaranteed (about $500,000).

A top 15 pick? You take home 5+ million guaranteed. That is a huge difference. Plus, if you are taken in later rounds, it's 3-5 years before you get to renegotiate your $600,000 per year salary. If he can get a high first round pick slot, he'd be making millions a year, not hundreds of thousands a year.

He is so good, with so much potential, I'd stay if I were him. Get your degree, go high in the first round next year, make a ton more money.

Then, there is always the Jake Murphy conundrum. He was told he was a third round pick. He left early. He went undrafted and never played a down in the NFL. If you aren't a first round pick and have first round pick potential, then come back to school.