Thread: Hello, Utah by 5. I'm Hayes6.

Hello, Utah by 5. I'm Hayes6.

I graduated from the U 35 years ago. I was on the field in the band when the team pierced each others' ears on the 50 yard line in 1978 after beating BYU. BYU was a nice little rivalry, but I'm hoping it will continue to fade away.

I have season football and men's and women's basketball tickets.

I have lurked here for many years and admired your respect for each other and your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    I graduated from the U 35 years ago. I was on the field in the band when the team pierced each others' ears on the 50 yard line in 1978 after beating BYU. BYU was a nice little rivalry, but I'm hoping it will continue to fade away.

I have lurked here for many years and admired your respect for each other and your insight.
    Welcome. It's good to have you, even though you hate playing BYU like so many on here (what up, Wally!(.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Welcome. It's good to have you, even though you hate playing BYU like so many on here (what up, Wally!(.
    Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for
    that.
    The rivalry must live. I like beating our rival on a yearly basis. It is good to have a guaranteed win on the schedule like BYU. It is the perfect B game.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What do I have to do to get consistent mentions from you as an advocate for the rivalry. I demand my rivalry ally cookies damnit.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Welcome Hayes6.

I'm in favor of continuing the BYU and USU rivalries in some form or another.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for that.
    You'reonrecordalready!

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    What do I have to do to get consistent mentions from you as an advocate for the rivalry. I demand my rivalry ally cookies damnit.
    Fix my keyboard (which works now). That would be a start.

We must be contemporaries or close to it. I graduated from the U in 1979 and the law school in 1982. If you knew me then I ask for forgiveness for everything I did to offend or annoy you. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-24-2016 at 03:21 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We must be contemporaries or
    close to it. I graduated from the U in 1979 and the law school in 1982. If you knew me then I ask for forgiveness for everything I did to offend or annoy you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I graduated from law school in 85, so you must be way, way older than I am.

I'm not saying we should never play them. But they do take up the "A" game slot. Maybe we play them on a rotation with USU, Weber and SUU? Give them a home and home so we play them twice every five years?

I graduated from law school in 85, so you must be way, way older than I am.

I'm not saying we should never play them. But they do take up the "A" game slot. Maybe we play them on a rotation with USU, Weber and SUU? Give them a home and home so we play them twice every five years?
    I agree with the "A" slot, and I think we should try to schedule other schools in that slot (Michigan was great), but I have no problem with keeping them on the schedule once every 4 years. If we continue to beat them, it will go a long ways to capturing the local recruiting market.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I agree with the "A" slot, and I think we should try to schedule other schools in that slot (Michigan was great), but I have no problem with keeping them on the schedule once every 4 years. If we continue to beat them, it will go a long ways to capturing the local recruiting market.
    If they had joined the B12 there would have been an argument for an annual game. But no, so I agree with this!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If they had joined the B12 there would have been an argument for an annual game. But no, so I agree with this!

the irony is that the standings this year may catapult Colorado to rivalry status. The trigger to the beginning of a rivalry is a meaningful game. maybe this will start something, and lessen the pressure to play BYU. I would vote never to play them again, but certainly not more than once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the irony is that the standings this year may catapult Colorado to rivalry status. The trigger to the beginning of a rivalry is a meaningful game. maybe this will start something, and lessen the pressure to play BYU. I would vote never to play them again, but certainly not more than once in a while.
    We need to get the Buffs back for 2011. That was the worst loss ever in my mind. We would have won the South in our first freakin' year but for that game.

We need to get the Buffs back for 2011. That was the worst loss ever in my mind. We would have won the South in our first freakin' year but for that game.
    John White IV was dinged up, but our 2nd string RB never was the same after the byu game. He couldn't push off or cut as well as before, and he just couldn't get that short yardage 1st down to seal the win. (Or was that an attempt to get us closer for a FG?I can't recall, the game was too painful).

He was the victim of an Ogletree alligator roll (well after the whistle, and on the broadcast). Had a high ankle sprain after that.

Welcome, Hayes6!

Welcome! We'd be crazy to put BYU as a "B" or "C" slot. Teams with hard schedules don't win titles. Let's take the Washington route to scheduling. They've done it right. IF we play BYU, they are an "A" slot game. Putting them as a B or C game...that's taking your team from 9+ wins to 7 wins. It's too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    John White IV was dinged up, but our 2nd string RB never was the same after the byu game. He couldn't push off or cut as well as before, and he just couldn't get that short yardage 1st down to seal the win. (Or was that an attempt to get us closer for a FG?I can't recall, the game was too painful).
    Vakapuna wudnit?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Vakapuna wudnit?
    Yup. If we don't play BYU that year, and Ogletree doesn't roll Vakapuna's ankle, we win the south that year.

Tauni Vakapuna, yes. Couldn't recall his name. But the gator roll destruction of his ankle is seared into my memory.