Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA hoops: 2016-2017 edition

NCAA hoops: 2016-2017 edition

Exhibition games are underway. If you can call them "games".

Kentucky: 156
    Asbury: 63

Not a typo.

The vaunted Arizona Wildcats beat Chico State 78-70 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    The vaunted Arizona Wildcats beat Chico State 78-70 at home.
    They may have had the equipment manager and towel boy playing as reserves. They had Smith retire due to an ACL injury (his third in 30 months), Comanche is out for academic reasons, and Trier is not suiting up for games for unknown reasons. I thought I read where they only had 7 scholarship players available for one exhibition game.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

So Chris Reyes made his debut as a Wave tonight. Dude shoots 10-11 and scores a solid 20 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Jackson has been great for duke so far.

I watched Oregon yesterday. They lost, but they are clearly good as expected. Athletic ballers all over the place. I think Dillon Brooks got a new tattoo on his chest.

The Pac-12 so far:

Arizona, 1 good win (MSU), no losses, Lousy Finn who should have been a Ute is tearing it up.
    CU, loss to Notre Dame
    Cal, loss to SDSU
    UW, loss to Yale
    ASU, losses to UNI and Davidson
    WSU, losses to Creighton, and Loyola (chicago)
    Oregon, losses to Baylor and Georgetown
    OSU, losses to Lamar and Nevada
    USC, a good win (@ Texas A&M)
    UCLA, nothing really
    Utah, nothing at all
    Stanford, wins vs Harvard and CSU (are those good wins?)

So the conference has two good wins so far. Tennessee/Oregon and Texas/CU today.

Oregon/Tennessee going to OT on ESPN2.

Edit: Brooks with the game winning 3.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-22-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Ogbe averaging 24 minutes, 14 points, 3 rebounds, shooting over 60% from field & from 3.

at UVU.

Giac resigns at Drake. I think he is probably a good assistant coach, but not a head coach.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...37776500797440

Wonder what Mark Few thinks of all of this.

Colorado keeping things close with Xavier early in the second half.

Colorado pulled off the win. Washington getting boat raced by Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Colorado pulled off the win. Washington getting boat raced by Gonzaga.
    Xavier with back to back road losses. We are not going to Cincy at a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Xavier with back to back road losses. We are not going to Cincy at a good time.
    Are you kidding?! They're going to be absolutely demoralized. They're going to look across at Van Dyke, and Rawson, and Johnson and tell each other, there's no way we can hang with these guys. And we roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Giac resigns at Drake. I think he is probably a good assistant coach, but not a head coach.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...37776500797440

I'm going to call for a trademark ruling on your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I hope that whenever anyone thinking of hiring a head basketball coach asks Few for a recommendation, he gives one, but adds a standard caveat:

"I must disclose that I once enthusiastically recommended Ray Giacoletti as a D1 head coach."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There's something wrong with this world if Bryce Alford can be a starter on a top 5 team.

There's something wrong with this world if Bryce Alford can be a starter on a top 5 team.
    You can calm your nerves when you realize that its because of Ball and despite Alford.

Iowa coach refuses to shake hands with North Dakota players and coaches after a North Dakota player steels the ball from an Iowa player at the end of the game and tries to score: http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...out-handshake/
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What will Grayson Allen learn from his suspension? Here's some advice

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-player-person

What do you all think?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What will Grayson Allen learn from his suspension? Here's some advice

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-player-person

What do you all think?
    I didn't read it, but I think there is some potential for addition by subtraction for Duke. Allen has not been shooting well, and he's a bit out of control. This is a great chance for Frank Jackson.

This is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This is great.

LOL!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    LOL!

The best part is when the guy puts his arm around him.

What's the latest with Seely? Will we see him this year?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    What's the latest with Seely? Will we see him this year?
    Nope. Redshirting.

Butler knocks off #1 Villanova.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Who do y'all follow on twitter for national college basketball? I have a list of guys I like for football, but I can't really find anyone for basketball. Luke Winn of SI hardly ever posts. Seth Davis of SI spams my feed with non-sports stuff, and his basketball stuff is rarely insightful. Goodman of ESPN posts about nearly every roster move across the country but doesn't give much by way of opinion or analysis.

Who do y'all follow on twitter for national college basketball? I have a list of guys I like for football, but I can't really find anyone for basketball. Luke Winn of SI hardly ever posts. Seth Davis of SI spams my feed with non-sports stuff, and his basketball stuff is rarely insightful. Goodman of ESPN posts about nearly every roster move across the country but doesn't give much by way of opinion or analysis.
    Jon Rothstein I think his name is is ok.

#1,2,3,4 have all lost over the past few days.

Congrats two utes.