Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Utah Lacrosse

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    On the ocean in the south
    Posts
    17

    Utah Lacrosse

    Lots of rumors that the Utes will have a varsity men's lacrosse program in the near future. They hired Brian Holman as head coach who was with UNC the past few years. The website Laxpower has discussion on this topic but nobody from Utah seems to be participating. Any thoughts here ?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Lots of rumors that the Utes will have a varsity men's lacrosse program in the near future. They hired Brian Holman as head coach who was with UNC the past few years. The website Laxpower has discussion on this topic but nobody from Utah seems to be participating. Any thoughts here ?
    I thought I read somewhere that the U was adding Lacrosse, along with Beach Volleyball and maybe one other sport. But all I can find now are references to Beach Volleyball. My Google-fu skills might be lacking.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the U was adding Lacrosse, along with Beach Volleyball and maybe one other sport. But all I can find now are references to Beach Volleyball. My Google-fu skills might be lacking.
    Nothing has been officially announced about Lacrosse. There was an article quoting the new coach as saying he was promised D1 status by 2018 and they had a plan in place.

    Nothing has been confirmed locally


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Nothing has been officially announced about Lacrosse. There was an article quoting the new coach as saying he was promised D1 status by 2018 and they had a plan in place.

    Nothing has been confirmed locally


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've seen high schoolers who play LAX "committing" to Utah. Do club teams get commits?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,138
    I hope they do. My friends kid plays lacrosse for the U right now. He is a good man. He played quarterback for us in little league football. Hell of an athlete. The U would do well given time to develop in D1.

  6. #6
    It's true. I donated to the Lacrosse program. My nephew was the first scholarship recruit. If you want to donate, let me know, and I'll send you a link. LA?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  7. #7
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,873
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's true. I donated to the Lacrosse program. My nephew was the first scholarship recruit. If you want to donate, let me know, and I'll send you a link. LA?
    Do you think donations to the lacrosse program will help overcome the U's structural limitations on recruiting in that sport?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Do you think donations to the lacrosse program will help overcome the U's structural limitations on recruiting in that sport?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will not be mocked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  9. #9
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,873
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I will not be mocked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    😜...

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  10. #10
    It sounds like the Board will be approving to add Men's Lacrosse as a Division I sport tomorrow morning. According to the agenda, they've allotted 10 minutes for the discussion, so it should be pretty heated. I'd rather have men's track to get us some more burners for the football team. Maybe this will attract better linebackers.

    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5407541...rd-of-trustees

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'd rather have men's track to get us some more burners for the football team.
    Or men's soccer or men's hockey to get us a sport that is actually watchable and is not just a place for rich white kids whose parents wouldn't let them play football.

    What a waste of scholarships.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Or men's soccer or men's hockey to get us a sport that is actually watchable and is not just a place for rich white kids whose parents wouldn't let them play football.

    What a waste of scholarships.
    There's some chatter about this all being pushed by some big donor. Travel expenses alone are going to be pretty stiff since all of the teams are on the East coast.

  13. #13
    Isn't there a booster who's basically footing the bill for this? I thought that was why we were getting LAX.

  14. #14
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,964
    Apparently this is being pushed by David Neeleman.

    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5204429...n-i?fullpage=1

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Isn't there a booster who's basically footing the bill for this? I thought that was why we were getting LAX.
    It still takes men's scholarships away through Title IX, right? Still hurts our chances of adding better sports.

  16. #16

    Utah Lacrosse

    It's now official.

    Team will have 40 players, but lacrosse only has 12.6 allowed scholarships (players are usually given partial scholarships in sports with limits like that)

    With the addition of beach volleyball and Utahs student demographics Utah will have no Title IX issues.

    $15.6 Million endowment will fund the program.

    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5410203...-mens-lacrosse


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's now official.

    Team will have 40 players, but lacrosse only has 12.6 allowed scholarships (players are usually given partial scholarships in sports with limits like that)

    With the addition of beach volleyball and Utahs student demographics Utah will have no Title IX issues.

    $15.6 Million endowment will fund the program.

    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5410203...-mens-lacrosse


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I am surprised the U has more male than female students. the opposite of the national trend.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,013
    Conference affiliation will be an interesting topic. Air Force plays in the Southern Conference with Richmond, Furman, Bellarmine, Jacksonville State, Mercer, High Point and VMI.

    Denver plays in the Big East with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and Marquette.

    There are two schools that are independent -- Hampton and NJIT. Given the far-flung nature of collegiate lacrosse, this is certainly a possibility, but I'm hopeful that our financial commitment to the sport pushes a good league or two to welcome Utah as an affiliate member (why not the Big 10?)

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Conference affiliation will be an interesting topic. Air Force plays in the Southern Conference with Richmond, Furman, Bellarmine, Jacksonville State, Mercer, High Point and VMI.

    Denver plays in the Big East with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and Marquette.

    There are two schools that are independent -- Hampton and NJIT. Given the far-flung nature of collegiate lacrosse, this is certainly a possibility, but I'm hopeful that our financial commitment to the sport pushes a good league or two to welcome Utah as an affiliate member (why not the Big 10?)
    And it'll be interesting to see what the Pac-12 does. Larry Scott is high on lacrosse (and his kids play apparently


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I am surprised the U has more male than female students. the opposite of the national trend.
    I think local culture has something to do with that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think local culture has something to do with that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. Sadly.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    (and his kids play apparently
    Of course they do.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Denver plays in the Big East with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and Marquette.
    Travel partner? How often to teams play? Does a travel partner even make sense? DU is king of minor men's team sports.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Travel partner? How often to teams play? Does a travel partner even make sense? DU is king of minor men's team sports.
    The three leagues I looked up (SoCon, Big East and Big 10) all played one game against each other, no traditional H-H.

    Not sure if a travel partner is especially significant. Look at Denver and AFA.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And it'll be interesting to see what the Pac-12 does. Larry Scott is high on lacrosse (and his kids play apparently


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are many years away from the Pac-12 being involved to the point where we have 6 teams needed to be recognized as a sanctioning league. I doubt Larry has much pull here -- there are many sports that don't have full league membership. Lacrosse is still very much a niche, regional sport, but maybe what's being done at Utah can inspire a like-minded donor to do likewise at another school.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We are many years away from the Pac-12 being involved to the point where we have 6 teams needed to be recognized as a sanctioning league. I doubt Larry has much pull here -- there are many sports that don't have full league membership. Lacrosse is still very much a niche, regional sport, but maybe what's being done at Utah can inspire a like-minded donor to do likewise at another school.
    That said, with DU and AFA, and now Utah, we only need three more schools in the West in order to recognize the sport. If six is the minimum, though, I gotta imagine at least four have to be full-fledged Pac-12 schools. If the makeup can be less than that, it could happen later as opposed to much, much later.

  27. #27
    Does this mean Utah was 12 men's scholarships short on Title IX compliance?

    Over a million Americans watched USA/Mexico play soccer on Sunday. That's more people than have collectively watched every lacrosse game in the long, inconsequential history of that sport.

    Men's soccer and hockey are last two relevant sports missing at the U. Maybe track is relevant. You could argue that.

  28. #28
    The biggest shocker to me regarding today's announcement was the 40 man roster. What the hell?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The biggest shocker to me regarding today's announcement was the 40 man roster. What the hell?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems the average is 45.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •