Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Pac 12 Standings

We get some help from the schedule this weekend as both Cal and USC should lose (USC might be heading for a three game skid - vs. Oregon, @ UCLA, @ Arizona).

The 4-8 squads all duke it out this weekend as well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We get some help from the schedule this weekend as both Cal and USC should lose (USC might be heading for a three game skid - vs. Oregon, @ UCLA, @ Arizona).
    BRUTAL! I almost feel sorry for the Trojans. Not really though.

No change in this week's DNF projection:

1. Arizona
    2. Oregon
    3. Arizona
    4. Cal
    5. Utah
    6. USC
    7. ASU
    8. Colorado
    9. Stanford
    10. WSU
    11. Washington
    12. Oregon St.

If this holds, I believe Cal would own the tiebreaker over us by virtue of beating ASU twice (and us only having beaten them once).

ASU would own the tiebreaker over CU with the head to head victory in Tempe.

Will we see upsets along the way? I hope we see one on Thursday.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

argh, our rival makes me sick

after starting 0-6 in conference, unbelievably Colorado has an outside shot at an NCAA berth. They would need to finish at least .500 in conference and probably win a game or 2 in the PAC-12 tourney, but I could see them on the bubble if that happens.

They'll probably lose Saturday at Oregon, but if they win out other than the Oregon loss, they would have wins against Xavier, Oregon, Cal and Utah. It's an outside shot, but still possible the way they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    argh, our rival makes me sick

after starting 0-6 in conference, unbelievably Colorado has an outside shot at an NCAA berth. They would need to finish at least .500 in conference and probably win a game or 2 in the PAC-12 tourney, but I could see them on the bubble if that happens.

They'll probably lose Saturday at Oregon, but if they win out other than the Oregon loss, they would have wins against Xavier, Oregon, Cal and Utah. It's an outside shot, but still possible the way they are playing.

Colorado has better players than we do. It's uneven but better able to compete against really good teams.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Colorado has better players than we do.
    I'm not sure I buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not sure I buy this.
    I believe CU has more physically and skillfully talented players than we do, but not sure about their BB IQ.

He's my 4th projection...it's a downer:

1. Arizona
    2. Oregon
    3. UCLA
    4. Cal (11-7)
    5. USC (11-7) (Cal owns the head to head tiebreaker)
    6. Colorado - If they and the Utes finish 9-9, they would win the tiebreaker with their win over Oregon.
    7. Utah - "We're playing for a bye in Vegas" No Larry, you're not.
    8. WSU (6-12) - I think 3 teams could finish 6-12 and I think WSU would be the top of those 3
    9. ASU (6-12)
    10 Stanford (6-12)
    11. Washington
    12. Oregon St.

He's my 4th projection...it's a downer:

1. Arizona
    2. Oregon
    3. UCLA
    4. Cal (11-7)
    5. USC (11-7) (Cal owns the head to head tiebreaker)
    6. Colorado - If they and the Utes finish 9-9, they would win the tiebreaker with their win over Oregon.
    7. Utah - "We're playing for a bye in Vegas" No Larry, you're not.
    8. WSU (6-12) - I think 3 teams could finish 6-12 and I think WSU would be the top of those 3
    9. ASU (6-12)
    10 Stanford (6-12)
    11. Washington
    12. Oregon St.
    Remember when everyone scoffed when the media picked us to finish 8th? We are who they thought we would be.

So basically, we wn our next 2, and Colo beats Cal, we get the 4 seed. Anything else and we are 5th or worse.

(Pretty safe to assume that Cal won't lose to OSU at home this weekend)
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    So basically, we wn our next 2, and Colo beats Cal, we get the 4 seed. Anything else and we are 5th or worse.

(Pretty safe to assume that Cal won't lose to OSU at home this weekend)
    Cal wins a tiebreaker with us?

I can't remember where I read it, but it will either come down to their two wins over ASU vs. our 1, or their wins over...wait for it...Oregon St. and our split.

Assuming USC wins out, we win out and Cal only loses to us, it's a three way tie. If that happens you go to the head to head match ups of the three teams. Utah and Cal would be 2-1 and USC would be 0-2. That eliminates USC. Then you go by the two remaining teams' records vs. D1 opponents. Cal would be 20-10 I believe and we would be 18-10, so they win the tie breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    Assuming USC wins out, we win out and Cal only loses to us, it's a three way tie. If that happens you go to the head to head match ups of the three teams. Utah and Cal would be 2-1 and USC would be 0-2. That eliminates USC. Then you go by the two remaining teams' records vs. D1 opponents. Cal would be 20-10 I believe and we would be 18-10, so they win the tie breaker.
    Thanks. Go Buffs, then.

I can't remember where I read it, but it will either come down to their two wins over ASU vs. our 1, or their wins over...wait for it...Oregon St. and our split.
    Assuming they beat Oregon st

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Stanford tied with Oregon with 4 minutes left. Is Oregon vulnerable, or are they just getting everyone's best shot?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Stanford tied with Oregon with 4 minutes left. Is Oregon vulnerable, or are they just getting everyone's best shot?
    Ducks hold on as Brooks gets away with foul on Stanford's game tying shot.

Arizona looked awful on that last shot. Glad to have some company in that.

The game absolutely turned when they called Ball's fourth personal and then changed their minds when they realized it was Ball.

Wrong conference, but Gonzaga has sincerely shit the bed at the end of this game tonight.

Glad we aren't the only team who closes out badly.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Wrong conference, but Gonzaga has sincerely shit the bed at the end of this game tonight.

I was picturing justaute yelling something at his tv about basketball IQ.

Opens the door for Oregon to get the 1-seed.
    Last edited by sancho; 02-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.

You are correct about how 3 way ties are broken.

Everything I can find on the head-to-head tie breaker is not records against D1 opponents. It is a comparison or records against other PAC 12 teams, starting from best to worst. This link from last year's tournament explains:
    http://pac-12.com/article/2016/03/05...nt-bracket-set

So if we sweep Cal and Stanford next week, but Cal beats Colorado, Cal will win the tie breaker for the 4th seed because they beat Oregon St and we didn't. Our records would match up with them against every other PAC 12 team.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Seriously, though, the #1 and #4 teams in the country just crapped their pants at the end of close games. Add #10 duke to the list if you like. These are teams with some of the most respected coaches in basketball.

I don't think poor late-game decisions are a Utah basketball thing - they are a college basketball thing.

You are correct about how 3 way ties are broken.

Everything I can find on the head-to-head tie breaker is not records against D1 opponents. It is a comparison or records against other PAC 12 teams, starting from best to worst. This link from last year's tournament explains:
    http://pac-12.com/article/2016/03/05...nt-bracket-set

So if we sweep Cal and Stanford next week, but Cal beats Colorado, Cal will win the tie breaker for the 4th seed because they beat Oregon St and we didn't. Our records would match up with them against every other PAC 12 team.
    But if SC wins out, which is likely, it will be a three way tie, yes? And a two way tie after a three way tie is broken by comparing D1 records, and then a coin flip, from what I've seen. Either way, we are SOL, though.

But if SC wins out, which is likely, it will be a three way tie, yes? And a two way tie after a three way tie is broken by comparing D1 records, and then a coin flip, from what I've seen. Either way, we are SOL, though.
    Three way tie eliminates usc (cal and Utah both beat them)

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Do the Buffs have it in them to crank out a win vs Cal for Senior Night? They woke up and beat Oregon (who was probably sleep walking based on what CU did to that point) and they probably thought we were toast, having just lost to the Beavs.

I think Derrick White's a fighter who doesn't want CU's Seniors to go out as potheads.

USC's a different story.

The link I provided from the PAC 12 website from last season says the head to head tiebreaker is not D1 record, but comparing records against PAC 12 teams from first to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Three way tie eliminates usc (cal and Utah both beat them)

True, but that doesn't mean the two team tie rules apply. The multiple team rules say that when it gets to a two team tie, you go by their D1 records.

True, but that doesn't mean the two team tie rules apply. The multiple team rules say that when it gets to a two team tie, you go by their D1 records.
    Where are you seeing that? From last year:

In a three-way tie for sixth place between OREGON STATE (18-11, 9-9), USC (20-11, 9-9) and WASHINGTON (17-13, 9-9), the Beavers come out on top with the No. 6 seed. In the multi-team tie-breaking procedure, Oregon State owned the better collective head-to-head record (2-1) with USC (2-2) and Washington (1-2). The head-to-head tie-break procedure was then used on USC and Washington to determine the No. 7 seed. The teams split their season series. Their records were then compared versus the teams at the top of the standings. Neither team defeated Oregon or Utah. Their records versus the tied group of Arizona and California revealed the edge to the Trojans for the No. 7 seed as they went 1-2, compared to the Huskies 0-3 mark. Washington fills the bracket at No. 8.

Where are you seeing that? From last year:

In a three-way tie for sixth place between OREGON STATE (18-11, 9-9), USC (20-11, 9-9) and WASHINGTON (17-13, 9-9), the Beavers come out on top with the No. 6 seed. In the multi-team tie-breaking procedure, Oregon State owned the better collective head-to-head record (2-1) with USC (2-2) and Washington (1-2). The head-to-head tie-break procedure was then used on USC and Washington to determine the No. 7 seed. The teams split their season series. Their records were then compared versus the teams at the top of the standings. Neither team defeated Oregon or Utah. Their records versus the tied group of Arizona and California revealed the edge to the Trojans for the No. 7 seed as they went 1-2, compared to the Huskies 0-3 mark. Washington fills the bracket at No. 8.
    http://arizona.247sports.com/Board/5...ndings-9151802

and

https://theairuphere.com/2014/03/06/...ker-scenarios/