Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football - Spring 2017

Utah Football - Spring 2017

Starting off with some good news:

Woohoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Starting off with some good news:

The Tournament of Roses hosts the greatest football game on earth, the NFL/College Football Playoff tastes like deep fried cardboard in comparison.

Marcus Williams declares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not following Andy Phillips' and Tom Hackett's podcast 4th and Long, then you should. It really is a great, honest look at things inside the program. This week's episode is especially enlightening discussing the culture and some of the inefficiencies that may be contributing to late season burn out. A lot of good stuff in here: https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadw...nd-long-1-3-17

Bolles declares. #he'sgone

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Come to Seattle, Garrett!

Bummer. There is one thing I know for sure - I would max my time in college if I could. It's so much more fun than work.

If you're not following Andy Phillips' and Tom Hackett's podcast 4th and Long, then you should. It really is a great, honest look at things inside the program. This week's episode is especially enlightening discussing the culture and some of the inefficiencies that may be contributing to late season burn out. A lot of good stuff in here: https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadw...nd-long-1-3-17
    Kyle has made significant changes to the in-season practice regimen since joining the PAC 12. Prior to joining the PAC 12, Monday was pretty much a full practice for the travel squad. It is now a full practice for the scout team players, a longer film day and walk through for the travel squad. Tuesday was known as bloody Tuesday, a day when everyone went in full pads, there was live contact and the lengthy practice. Tuesday is now roughly 20 minutes shorter than it used to be and there is no live contact work. Wednesday was formerly a limited edition of the old Tuesday and is now a limited edition of the new Tuesday. Thursday was and still is polish day.

I'm not commenting one way or another on what Hackett and Phillips had to say except to say that Whit has made some dramatic changes to the in-season practice regimen. Maybe additional modifications are needed. I don't know. My view of this past November is that I am not sure it had anything to do with fatigue. Utah played its best offensive game of the season against UCLA and then came home and played a tough game against Washington. The team then had 12 days between games and the offense, with the exception of the two early miscues, did pretty well against ASU. They then fell flat on their faces against Oregon and followed that up by laying an egg against Colorado.

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the losses to Oregon and CU can be attributed to over working the team.

So we don't have a freak of nature on the OL. It was fun while it lasted. Good for him. OL, DB, I take for granted whit has those positions stacked. This will help recruiting. Better losing Bolles than Huntley or Williams or another offensive skill player.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

At almost 25 years old, Bolles leaving is a no brainer. Good luck to him!

Ok, with the departure of Bolles, I'm officially worried about our O-line for next year.

We lose the meaty left side of our line (Bolles, Asiata, Dielman): all with a decent chance of playing in the league. Plus, we lose our right tackle, Tevi. That's a lot to lose. So who do we put in their spots?

Lo Falamaka(C): He'll be a senior next year and was the starting center this year when he was healthy. Health is a big question mark, but we'll look to him to provide stability.
    Salesi Uhatafe (RG): The only returning player who was penciled in to start last year as well. He'll need to show more next year.
    Jackson Barton (LT?): He was a big time recruit for us, so I am a little worried that he hasn't played that much for us until now (he'll be a redshirt junior). What do others who have watched him play think? Is he capable?
    Darrin Paulo (LG): The big sophmore (RS) gets a lot of praise from the coaches so I am hopeful he can fill the spot vacated by Asiata without too many growing pains.
    Right Tackle? A lot of names, lots of youth, but no experience for this spot. Johnny Capra is the big recruit that you'd hope assumes the mantel, but other redshirt sophomores (Kevin Dixon, Scott Peck [is he a freshman]) could challenge. This position gives me heartburn because I haven't heard from the coaches about any of these guys, and someone will be starting next fall. Gulp.

Other names you're likely to hear: Nick Carmen, Jake Grant, Tucker Scott (all are freshmen or sophomores, all probably guards or centers).

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Ok, with the departure of Bolles, I'm officially worried about our O-line for next year.

We lose the meaty left side of our line (Bolles, Asiata, Dielman): all with a decent chance of playing in the league. Plus, we lose our right tackle, Tevi. That's a lot to lose. So who do we put in their spots?

Lo Falamaka(C): He'll be a senior next year and was the starting center this year when he was healthy. Health is a big question mark, but we'll look to him to provide stability.
    Salesi Uhatafe (RG): The only returning player who was penciled in to start last year as well. He'll need to show more next year.
    Jackson Barton (LT?): He was a big time recruit for us, so I am a little worried that he hasn't played that much for us until now (he'll be a redshirt junior). What do others who have watched him play think? Is he capable?
    Darrin Paulo (LG): The big sophmore (RS) gets a lot of praise from the coaches so I am hopeful he can fill the spot vacated by Asiata without too many growing pains.
    Right Tackle? A lot of names, lots of youth, but no experience for this spot. Johnny Capra is the big recruit that you'd hope assumes the mantel, but other redshirt sophomores (Kevin Dixon, Scott Peck [is he a freshman]) could challenge. This position gives me heartburn because I haven't heard from the coaches about any of these guys, and someone will be starting next fall. Gulp.

Other names you're likely to hear: Nick Carmen, Jake Grant, Tucker Scott (all are freshmen or sophomores, all probably guards or centers).
    You're forgetting Jordan Agasiva

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...jordan-agasiva

And Barton actually played quite a bit. He just had Tevi and Bolles to compete with

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

And Barton actually played quite a bit. He just had Tevi and Bolles to compete with

Yes, Barton did play and I get some comfort knowing that the tackles in front of him are likely going pro.

I heard Chow on the radio last week raving about Agasiva. Said we got a really good one. Talk is cheap, of course. fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I heard Chow on the radio last week raving about Agasiva. Said we got a really good one. Talk is cheap, of course. fwiw.

Assuming that Chow is right, that just pushes Darrin Paulo back. He's not big enough to play tackle, right?

Assuming that Chow is right, that just pushes Darrin Paulo back. He's not big enough to play tackle, right?
    Agasiva is a tackle and that's his preference. He's 6'5" and over 300.

Agasiva is a tackle and that's his preference. He's 6'5" and over 300.

That would be welcome news. I just ask because the espn site you provided lists him as a guard.

That would be welcome news. I just ask because the espn site you provided lists him as a guard.
    He can play either, but his JC coach said he's a tackle, prefers to play tackle, but can play guard if needed.

He can play either, but his JC coach said he's a tackle, prefers to play tackle, but can play guard if needed.
    At 6'5", 300, maybe we can play him at both simultaneously. Free up a space. I'd like to see both Troy Williams and Huntley on the field at the same time. #innovation

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Bummer. There is one thing I know for sure - I would max my time in college if I could. It's so much more fun than work.
    That's because you don't have NFL money. It's a lot more fun when you have NFL money.

About 30 minutes after Bolles declared, we offered George Moore, a four star Washington State decommit. Sounds like he'll take a visit soon.

http://www.scout.com/player/174983-george-moore

About 30 minutes after Bolles declared, we offered George Moore, a four star Washington State decommit. Sounds like he'll take a visit soon.

http://www.scout.com/player/174983-george-moore

Utah really needs to get Moore. That would give us (on paper) six quality OL. Then we need another couple of the younger OL who have been in the program to step up and become playable. It still wouldn't be as good as this last year's OL but could be decent. Jim Harding has been money both in recruiting and getting a quality OL on the field so I wouldn't bet against him--it may also help that he will no longer have to worry about OC stuff and may be able to focus more on his OL.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Utah really needs to get Moore. That would give us (on paper) six quality OL. Then we need another couple of the younger OL who have been in the program to step up and become playable. It still wouldn't be as good as this last year's OL but could be decent. Jim Harding has been money both in recruiting and getting a quality OL on the field so I wouldn't bet against him--it may also help that he will no longer have to worry about OC stuff and may be able to focus more on his OL.
    I can't help but think what he's done with Asiata, Tevi and especially Bolles will help.

While Bolles has natural gifts the progress he made in one season was very noticeable. And in his statement that he was turning pro, his praise for Harding was very noticeable

I can't help but think what he's done with Asiata, Tevi and especially Bolles will help.

While Bolles has natural gifts the progress he made in one season was very noticeable. And in his statement that he was turning pro, his praise for Harding was very noticeable

I love Harding's personality and fire. The "Well f*****g fire me!" moment on TV was classic. On the surface it would seem the perfect fit to coach the hogs up front.

Utah's recruiting pitch to George Moore should just be links to Bolles' name in mock draft first rounds with the comment, "hey look what we did with the last JC stud OT in one season."

Jordan Agasiva officially in. Lots of early enrollies this year.

Interview with Kyle Whittingham. In the interview he says that Taylor will be very involved in the RB coach hiring process...or there may not be a new hire for the RB coach. Goon wonders aloud if this would mean Fred Whittingham gets moved to RB coach and they hire a TE coach.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...-fb-hc-1-9-17/