Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Utah Football - Spring 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Here's Wilner's take on schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/1...dule-analysis/

On Utah:
    To the extent Utah has a new offense, BYU wont have seen it. BYU will have to open its entire playbook for LSU. It will be their third game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I respect you at lot, but I often feel like you have a bit of an axe to grind with some of your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just don't know that its true. How do we know Taylor was his first choice? If I were KW, I would approach the HC who had been the EWU OC/QB coach for several successful years before becoming the HC for several more successful years in addition to the guy who was just completing his first year on the job. I mean if you received their resumes, wouldn't Baldwin be more impressive than Taylor? Personally, I would hope that KW took a look at and talked with a number of prospective coaches, including Baldwin, before making the hire. If he didn't that would be concerning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I just don't know that its true. How do we know Taylor was his first choice? If I were KW, I would approach the HC who had been the EWU OC/QB coach for several successful years before becoming the HC for several more successful years in addition to the guy who was just completing his first year on the job. I mean if you received their resumes, wouldn't Baldwin be more impressive than Taylor? Personally, I would hope that KW took a look at and talked with a number of prospective coaches, including Baldwin, before making the hire. If he didn't that would be concerning to me.
    But we know how Kyle usually hires. Right or wrong, Taylor's connection to Fred Whittingham (through Folsom) probably made him the target all along, as opposed to Baldwin (unless there's a connection between Kyle and Baldwin that I'm missing). In fact, I think I remember Kyle saying something to the effect of "Taylor has been a guy I've had my eye on for a while, but I wanted to see how he performed at the collegiate level and now that he had success at EW he's proven he can do it at this level...." I'm sure I mangled it quite a bit but basically my interpretation was that Kyle had thought of hiring Taylor prior to this year but was gun-shy about doing hiring a non-college coach for such a crucial position. That would tell me that he did get "his guy" even if you could argue that he should have targeted Baldwin or someone else first.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    But we know how Kyle usually hires. Right or wrong, Taylor's connection to Fred Whittingham (through Folsom) probably made him the target all along, as opposed to Baldwin (unless there's a connection between Kyle and Baldwin that I'm missing). In fact, I think I remember Kyle saying something to the effect of "Taylor has been a guy I've had my eye on for a while, but I wanted to see how he performed at the collegiate level and now that he had success at EW he's proven he can do it at this level...." I'm sure I mangled it quite a bit but basically my interpretation was that Kyle had thought of hiring Taylor prior to this year but was gun-shy about doing hiring a non-college coach for such a crucial position. That would tell me that he did get "his guy" even if you could argue that he should have targeted Baldwin or someone else first.
    That may be - but it is supposition. Someone made a statement of fact that Kyle got his first choice and I simply asked how he knew this was the case? I didn't think it was a question that was out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    To the extent Utah has a new offense, BYU wont have seen it. BYU will have to open its entire playbook for LSU. It will be their third game though.
    What's the over/under on Mangum's INT'S after the Utah game? 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    What's the over/under on Mangum's INT'S after the Utah game? 8?
    @LSU and then vs Utah.

Mangum may need some mental therapy after those two weeks.

I've noted a lot of pundits listing the offensive line as one of the biggest areas in question next season. I think cornerbacks would be the other. I'm not terribly worried. I think the first two or three games we'll be working some kinks out but look at who's returning, who's waiting in the wings and who the incoming freshman will be:

Jackson Barton - tackle - junior
    Lo Falemaka - center - sr (I'm presuming center although Lo can play guard as well)
    Salesi Uhatefe - guard - sr (Uhatefe is an NFL prospect)

Every single one of the sophomores to be redshirted their first season and will have two full years in the program come fall. These guys represent Coach Harding's recruiting priorities as well. I'm not going to assume where they'll play. I think Paulo and Capra are the most likely to play tackle. It would be awesome to see Scott at center where I believe his father played.
    Johnny Capra - So
    Nick Carman - So
    Keven Dixon - So
    Jake Grant - So
    Darrin Paulo - So
    Scott Peck - So
    Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
    Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
    Michael Richardson - 6'5 tackle
    O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Given the sophomore class, I think we can expect the freshmen to redshirt. Agasiva will have a terrific opportunity to compete for a position but I think the competition will be fierce. I have no inside information on the sophomores as a group. I'd be interested to hear about them. Paulo, Carman, Peck and Scott came with significant accolades and accomplishments from their respective states.

I remember Harding on the radio saying that he wanted eight to ten O'linemn to count on. He was quick to admit a preference for doing very little substituting once a starting group was decided but he still wanted another five players ready. At that time he felt the U had eight players ready to compete at a Pac-12 level. I don't recall anyone ever following up with him on the progress of the line. This conversation took place right after Diellman was lost.

I think we have significant talent to develop and choose from based on the players on scholarship. I don't know that enough depth is there unless there are a couple of walkons who are now performing at a scholarship level and/or another recruit or two who will join the team come fall camp.

I'd be interested to know more about this group from any of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I've noted a lot of pundits listing the offensive line as one of the biggest areas in question next season. I think cornerbacks would be the other. I'm not terribly worried. I think the first two or three games we'll be working some kinks out but look at who's returning, who's waiting in the wings and who the incoming freshman will be:

Lo Falemaka - center - sr (I'm presuming center although Lo can play guard as well)

Every single one of the sophomores to be redshirted their first season and will have two full years in the program come fall. These guys represent Coach Harding's recruiting priorities as well. I'm not going to assume where they'll play. I think Paulo and Capra are the most likely to play tackle. It would be awesome to see Scott at center where I believe his father played.
    Johnny Capra - So
    Nick Carman - So
    Keven Dixon - So
    Jake Grant - So
    Darrin Paulo - So
    Scott Peck - So
    Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
    Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
    O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Given the sophomore class, I think we can expect the freshmen to redshirt. Agasiva will have a terrific opportunity to compete for a position but I think the competition will be fierce. I have no inside information on the sophomores as a group. I'd be interested to hear about them. Paulo, Carman, Peck and Scott came with significant accolades and accomplishments from their respective states.

I remember Harding on the radio saying that he wanted eight to ten O'linemn to count on. He was quick to admit a preference for doing very little substituting once a starting group was decided but he still wanted another five players ready. At that time he felt the U had eight players ready to compete at a Pac-12 level. I don't recall anyone ever following up with him on the progress of the line. This conversation took place right after Diellman was lost.

I think we have significant talent to develop and choose from based on the players on scholarship. I don't know that enough depth is there unless there are a couple of walkons who are now performing at a scholarship level and/or another recruit or two who will join the team come fall camp.

I heard Gunther and Ben say the other day that LT is the big Q. Barton can and will play RT but not LT. they have to find Bolles' replacement. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post

Johnny Capra - So
    Nick Carman - So
    Keven Dixon - So
    Jake Grant - So
    Darrin Paulo - So
    Scott Peck - So
    Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
    Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
    O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Sorry no inside information from me. But this is a good example of why we should have hope for the future of the o-line. But I think what makes people nervous is that we have only three returners with any experience. O-line, perhaps moreso than every other position, is based on reps that create trust and knowledge about your fellow o-linemen.

BTW, I figure Agasiva starts at the other guard position.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sorry no inside information from me. But this is a good example of why we should have hope for the future of the o-line. But I think what makes people nervous is that we have only three returners with any experience. O-line, perhaps moreso than every other position, is based on reps that create trust and knowledge about your fellow o-linemen.

BTW, I figure Agasiva starts at the other guard position.
    Agasiva is a tackle. If he's starting at guard we're hurting there IMO

Are we still pursuing George Moore? Isn't he a tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Are we still pursuing George Moore? Isn't he a tackle?

Yes. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Agasiva is a tackle. If he's starting at guard we're hurting there IMO

I would say just the opposite. The Utah release indicates that Agasiva is 6'3.25" and weighs 345. That sounds much more like a guard than a tackle.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/...-football.aspx

I would say just the opposite. The Utah release indicates that Agasiva is 6'3.25" and weighs 345. That sounds much more like a guard than a tackle.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/...-football.aspx
    Yet everyone says he's a tackle who can play guard.

His JC coach said his plan is to play at 310 or so.

This DesNews article states that about 10 days after hiring Taylor, he as offered a 3 year contract by a "big-name university." I wonder who it was?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...r-of-love.html

This DesNews article states that about 10 days after hiring Taylor, he as offered a 3 year contract by a "big-name university." I wonder who it was?

Cal?

Let me preface this by saying that "there's no way for me to actually know this," but I thought that I read somewhere that he was contacted by Cal. Before reaching out to Beau Baldwin. Not trying to pull a Spicer here, I just can't remember where I had read that.

Anytime you bring back 3 starters on the OL in college football, you are in a pretty good spot. I think Utah's dream scenario would be:

LT: Moore
    LG: Agasiva
    C: Falemaka
    RG: Uhatefe
    RT: Barton

That gives you 3-4 guys with NFL potential. We will see with Moore. If he trips elsewhere next week, I'd cross him off Utah's list.

Cal?
    I would not consider Cal to be a "big-name university" but that's just me.

I would not consider Cal to be a "big-name university" but that's just me.

maybe not in athletics,but this wouldn't be the first time a pr person hyped or exaggerated something to make a school or a hire look good Cal makes sense, given the connections and the timing. Maybe it was EWU wanting to know if he would come back and be head coach.(TIC,sorof)

maybe not in athletics,but this wouldn't be the first time a pr person hyped or exaggerated something to make a school or a hire look good Cal makes sense, given the connections and the timing. Maybe it was EWU wanting to know if he would come back and be head coach.(TIC,sorof)

Maybe, the way the article reads, the quote "big-time university" is a statement by KW.

Maybe, the way the article reads, the quote "big-time university" is a statement by KW.

and coaches never hype anything to validate their decisions, but who knows. All speculation.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.

and coaches never hype anything to validate their decisions, but who knows. All speculation.
    Isn't the fact that Kyle feels compelled to reassure fans this way a good sign, even if it's puffery?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Reminds me of his Trumpian statement about receiving a Yuge Bigly stack of unbelievable resumes for the OC position, only to turn around and hire Brian Johnson (6 years too soon...).

Look at who enrolled at the U

Wow. This is scary!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wow. This is scary!

Is it weird that this name is totally foreign to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Is it weird that this name is totally foreign to me?

Walkon Freshman LB.

Wilner looks at Pac-12 schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/3...g-fat-letdown/

8. Utah
    Lineup: vs. North Dakota, at Brigham Young, vs. San Jose State
    Comment: The Utes’ schedule ranks among the most disappointing in the conference. Here’s a program that — to its great credit — has posted a winning record 12 of the past 14 years … that should have a play anyone/anywhere approach … that just finished a home-and-home series with Michigan. if the 2017 schedule was a one-off, it would be easier to accept. But there’s nothing like the Michigan series for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do not speak evil of the program.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell