Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Utah Football - Spring 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Compare it to the recruiting rankings. That's stark.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    It's remarkable. Part of KW's genius. That's going to be shown to lots of Utah recruits.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    You want to BYU this even more? If you put Tui'kolovatu in with Utah's invites, then only Alabama and Michigan have more invites to the combine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Hell, if we're going to BYU this, let's go full Zoob and count Langi as well!
    It'd be funny if the Utes trolled these guys just a little and added them to their combine invites poster.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It'd be funny if the Utes trolled these guys just a little and added them to their combine invites poster.
    Especially if it is the picture of Asiata throwing Stevie T right on his ass during the game-winning play.

I love hype machines. ASU is getting all sorts of hype with their QB transfer from Alabama and Utah gets nothing on Bateman.

Sounds like they're keeping fans and media out of a fair amount of practices this spring.

Sounds like they're keeping fans and media out of a fair amount of practices this spring.

With the changes coming on offense I'm not surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to get up there as much as possible.

Reggie Dunn joins the staff as a recruiting assistant.

Reggie Dunn joins the staff as a recruiting assistant.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/Utah_Football/st...82802160009216

and here:

https://twitter.com/Wedginald/status/837084311690031104

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Utah football roster interesting tidbits:

Repp is a DE. As is Davr Hamilton.
    Fun to have a Kruger back on the DL.
    Cooper Bateman is a QB.
    McCormick and Nacua are WR's.

Repp has elite skills at DE. He has potential to be an amazing pass rusher. Can he put on weight to realize his potential? Will he ever be anything other than a pass rusher?

Davr Hamilton at DE? Interesting. I'd be it's because of the 5-1 front Scalley wants to run. Having versatility at DE/OLB would help you quickly go from a 5-1 to a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I think our QB will be Bateman or Williams. I think the coaches want one of those two to win the job with the tough schedule in 2017. The schedule is much easier in 2018 with Rosen, Browning, Darnold, Falk all graduating/leaving. Better to have an all out QB fight on their hands then with Tuttle, Huntley and Shelley. That doesn't mean Huntley doesn't win the job, but that's not the plan.

WR group is so interesting. We return Young, Wilson, Singleton and Simpkins. We also add Dana, have Fulks, Hamilton, Thompson and Dixon. McCormick making the switch is telling as well. Same with Nacua. We have talent there. What can Taylor and Holliday do with that talent? I also wonder with the switches if they will sub WR's a lot. Or if this just means we need more WR's. If Dana, McCormick and Nacua can get minutes with our returners, that gives us 7 WR's. More 4/5 WR sets?

Tyrone Smith also moves to CB. That is exciting.

I think it comes down to this: Spring ball is 100% about the QB's and WR's and OL. Our DL is set, our LB'ers are set, our CB's won't all be here until the fall.

Can Bateman win the job in the spring? He sure thinks he can. What WR's step up? We have talent at OL. Who steps up to start?

Utah football roster interesting tidbits:

Cooper Bateman is a QB.

Repp has elite skills at DE. He has potential to be an amazing pass rusher. Can he put on weight to realize his potential? Will he ever be anything other than a pass rusher?

Davr Hamilton at DE? Interesting. I'd be it's because of the 5-1 front Scalley wants to run. Having versatility at DE/OLB would help you quickly go from a 5-1 to a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I think our QB will be Bateman or Williams. I think the coaches want one of those two to win the job with the tough schedule in 2017. The schedule is much easier in 2018 with Rosen, Browning, Darnold, Falk all graduating/leaving. Better to have an all out QB fight on their hands then with Tuttle, Huntley and Shelley. That doesn't mean Huntley doesn't win the job, but that's not the plan.

WR group is so interesting. We return Young, Wilson, Singleton and Simpkins. We also add Dana, have Fulks, Hamilton, Thompson and Dixon. McCormick making the switch is telling as well. Same with Nacua. We have talent there. What can Taylor and Holliday do with that talent? I also wonder with the switches if they will sub WR's a lot. Or if this just means we need more WR's. If Dana, McCormick and Nacua can get minutes with our returners, that gives us 7 WR's. More 4/5 WR sets?

Tyrone Smith also moves to CB. That is exciting.

I think it comes down to this: Spring ball is 100% about the QB's and WR's and OL. Our DL is set, our LB'ers are set, our CB's won't all be here until the fall.

Can Bateman win the job in the spring? He sure thinks he can. What WR's step up? We have talent at OL. Who steps up to start?
    Caleb repp is a DE?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Caleb repp is a DE?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Yeah, he was recruited as a DE but didn't get weight on fast enough and we needed WR's. He is trying to bulk up and play DE.

Garrett Bolles with the second fastest 40 yard dash for an O-lineman (4.95), the best broad jump (115 inches), the best three cone drill (7.29 seconds), second best 20 yard shuffle (4.55).

Joe Williams with the second fastest 40 overall (4.41), and fourth highest broad jump (125 inches).
    and Issac Asiata with the most reps on bench (35!).

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Garrett Bolles with the second fastest 40 yard dash for an O-lineman (4.95), the best broad jump (115 inches), the best three cone drill (7.29 seconds), second best 20 yard shuffle (4.55).

Joe Williams with the second fastest 40 overall (4.41), and fourth highest broad jump (125 inches).
    Jets are said to have met with him and be really intrigued with him. They own the #6 pick.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Jets are said to have met with him and be really intrigued with him. They own the #6 pick.
    #6?!?!

That's a little early, imho, but good for Joe Williams.

#6?!?!

That's a little early, imho, but good for Joe Williams.
    I'msu
    I'm sure he was talking about Bolles and I'm sure you know that.

If Joe didn't "retire" and didn't have his off field issues, where would he go in the draft? I think Joe ends up being the steal of the draft.

#6?!?!

That's a little early, imho.
    yea, but ..... its the Jets

0b9e04f754d569d08bcf10f467ce978e.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The NFL combine joins Stanford and BYU on the list of things owned by Utah football.

2017 starting line up! Take it to the bank!!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...6/spring_1.pdf

Some interesting tidbits:

Caleb Repp at DE, Troy McCormick as a slot receiver, and Karsen Liljenquist back up LB to name a few.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.

2017 starting line up! Take it to the bank!!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...6/spring_1.pdf

Where's Jaylon Johnson?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Where's Jaylon Johnson?
    Don't think he's an early enrollee.

Where's Jaylon Johnson?
    ASU.

Caleb Repp at DE, Troy McCormick as a slot receiver, and Karsen Liljenquist back up LB to name a few.
    Old news.

Cooper Bateman is a QB.

Where's Jaylon Johnson?
    There is a good chance our starting CB's won't even get here until fall. I don't know if that is good or terrible. Great opportunity for Smith, Blackmon and Burgess.

There is a good chance our starting CB's won't even get here until fall. I don't know if that is good or terrible. Great opportunity for Smith, Blackmon and Burgess.
    What do you mean by this? Are there grade issues that could keep them off campus all summer?

What do you mean by this? Are there grade issues that could keep them off campus all summer?

No, nothing like that. I just said fall because that is when pads come back on. Johnson and Guidry are high school kids that won't be here until summer and Lewis is a JC guy who won't be here until summer. All three have tons of potential. Johnson is Bolles level talent. He has an amazing chance to start from day one.

If I had to pick today, I'd say Johnson and Smith start at outside CB's and NB is Burgess come game one. With Ballard and Hansen at safety and Luafatasaga and Tauteoli at LB with Blair pulling a Luafatasaga and ends up starting over Tauteoli by the end of the year.

Where are our real TEs?

Where are our real TEs?
    they left with Roderick