Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose? The Coach Taylor era begins.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose? The Coach Taylor era begins.

Figured the Troy Taylor hire deserved its own thread. He might even be here for more than one season.

Taylor's statement about accepting the job:

Whittingham' statement:

The most interesting thing on Taylor's resume that no one is talking about is that he taught Drivers Ed while at Folsom! Dude has balls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This all sounds wonderful and exciting but I still think this team needs a basic philosophy shift to a pro set with minimal passing to maximize the strengths we have and Whittingham's style of strength and physicality.

I don't get Whittingham's thought process on this. He is a defensive guy first and we should play to that strength. Alabama is showing us once again how to win championships, with dominant defense.

Brian Swinney Q&A with Coach Taylor.

http://espn700sports.com/news/q-and-...c-troy-taylor/

Goon article with quotes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4772818...ern-washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Brian Swinney Q&A with Coach Taylor.

http://espn700sports.com/news/q-and-...c-troy-taylor/

Troy Taylor: "I called every play."

Let's put that little tidbit to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Troy Taylor: "I called every play."

Let's put that little tidbit to rest.
    I like the idea of one guy calling the plays rather than the committee approach.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I like the idea of one guy calling the plays rather than the committee approach.
    I live by the motto "None of us are as dumb as all of us..." So I tend to agree with this. Group decision-making is for practice. The principles and strategies should long be in place an a single person making the call. That person should also not be Kyle Whittingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I live by the motto "None of us are as dumb as all of us..." So I tend to agree with this. Group decision-making is for practice. The principles and strategies should long be in place an a single person making the call. That person should also not be Kyle Whittingham.
    I third this.

Boise was messing around with two play callers this season too. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I agree completely, there should be one person calling the plays. I would expect the other offensive coaches to be involved with their positions and make recommendations based on what they see if there is a mismatch or one player is dominating another and could make a play. However, the play calling needs to be the responsublity of one person to make the final decision of what play to run.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    This all sounds wonderful and exciting but I still think this team needs a basic philosophy shift to a pro set with minimal passing to maximize the strengths we have and Whittingham's style of strength and physicality.

I don't get Whittingham's thought process on this. He is a defensive guy first and we should play to that strength. Alabama is showing us once again how to win championships, with dominant defense.
    We have recruited to the spread for years, and our problems on offense are largely attributable to our inability to actually commit to running the spread. Instead we've been continuing to run pro-style sets/concepts while either sitting our spread personnel on the bench or putting them in position to fail by continuing to misutilize them in the wrong offense. The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...Malzahn-Briles

Quote Originally Posted by C-Monster View Post
    I agree completely, there should be one person calling the plays. I would expect the other offensive coaches to be involved with their positions and make recommendations based on what they see if there is a mismatch or one player is dominating another and could make a play. However, the play calling needs to be the responsublity of one person to make the final decision of what play to run.
    C-Monster, are you new here? If so, welcome! And go introduce yourself in the Emigration Canyon forum.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.
    Boom!

I hope Taylor brings nothing but success to the Utes. The most encouraging aspects of his hiring are: He has a system he believes in. He appears to have been the play caller at Eastern Washington. There will only be one play caller going forward - no Co-OC. He believes his system can adapt to drop back and spread run QBs. He has been told he will have full reign to run his offense the way he wants to run it.

There will be a lot to get done on the offense. We lose our top RB, top WR, a productive TE and most likely 4 of 5 OL. I think it will be tough to get to 9 wins next year, but it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

It's an interesting hire. Taylor is a fundamental change in philosophy. I'm glad they retained Harding - he's a hard-nosed, kick-ass O-line coach. I think the other assistants did well too - Scalley, Shah, Holliday, Powell, Ena, and Whittingham. I hope Taylor is so spectacularly successful that he gets a head coaching job after two years.

In the past, Coach Whit tried to implement a different offensive philosophy but scrapped it midway through a season. Two or three seasons ago, I can't remember which, they tried a hurry-up scheme. IIRC, they blew a good lead with a bunch of turnovers and drained the defense with consecutive, very quick, three-and-outs.

Every season starts with aspirations for a balanced attack with more 'chunk' plays. When it doesn't produce well a couple games in a row, the fall-back offense is power run. Terrific offensive lines, good to great running backs, and a nominal 'throwing game' can wins lots of games.

The test for Whit & Taylor will be a game in the first third of the season when an offensive game plan goes poorly. Does the team stick with Taylor's strategic plan or revert again.

Roderick & Erickson frees up $750,000. I'm guessing Taylor signed for 400K, +/-, same as Roderick, Harding and Scalley. They have one slot open for one fairly high priced assistant, or a bump for some of the existing staff and lower paid new guy. It will be interesting to see if the roles change. Will Harding stay as O line coach in addition to assistant head coach?

Other PAC assistant coach budgets are UCLA $4.0 million, Oregon $3.6, Washington $3.5, ASU $3.3, AZ $2.8, OSU $2.7, Cal $2.7, WSU $2.7, Colorado $2.7. USC and Stanford are private and don't disclose. The Utah budget for assistant coaches is $2.9M - competitive, middle of the PAC. I don't think that's a big issue.
    Last edited by pangloss; 01-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    We have recruited to the spread for years, and our problems on offense are largely attributable to our inability to actually commit to running the spread. Instead we've been continuing to run pro-style sets/concepts while either sitting our spread personnel on the bench or putting them in position to fail by continuing to misutilize them in the wrong offense. The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.
    We have heard this before. It doesn't negate the fact that Whittingham is still the head coach and will continue to run it his way. It doesn't matter who the OC is.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-03-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    We have heard this before. It doesn't negate the fact that Whittingham is still the head coach and will continue to run it his way. It doesn't matter who the OC is.
    Many of us are hopeful that KW is tweaking his model just a bit. Here's an anecdote from history:

During the campaign, Reagan had promised California voters that he would not start a withholding system for state income taxes. He said his feet were “in concrete” on this. But the state was in bad economic shape. When the new governor learned the actual fiscal situation, he reversed himself. “The sound you hear,” Reagan announced, “is the concrete cracking around my feet.”
    Regardless of our political leanings, many of us are hoping that the concrete is cracking around Whit's feet too, just a little bit.

--Yeats

A good 15 minute interview of Troy Taylor by Bill Riley.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...inator-1-3-17/

Taylor is already deferring the offense to Whittingham saying that it's his job to make hires. Will let KW make the RB coach hire but will offer advice if asked. Kidding. I like the way this guy talks.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    It's an interesting hire. Taylor is a fundamental change in philosophy. I'm glad they retained Harding - he's a hard-nosed, kick-ass O-line coach. I think the other assistants did well too - Scalley, Shah, Holliday, Powell, Ena, and Whittingham. I hope Taylor is so spectacularly successful that he gets a head coaching job after two years.

In the past, Coach Whit tried to implement a different offensive philosophy but scrapped it midway through a season. Two or three seasons ago, I can't remember which, they tried a hurry-up scheme. IIRC, they blew a good lead with a bunch of turnovers and drained the defense with consecutive, very quick, three-and-outs.

Every season starts with aspirations for a balanced attack with more 'chunk' plays. When it doesn't produce well a couple games in a row, the fall-back offense is power run. Terrific offensive lines, good to great running backs, and a nominal 'throwing game' can wins lots of games.

The test for Whit & Taylor will be a game in the first third of the season when an offensive game plan goes poorly. Does the team stick with Taylor's strategic plan or revert again.

Roderick & Erickson frees up $750,000. I'm guessing Taylor signed for 400K, +/-, same as Roderick, Harding and Scalley. They have one slot open for one fairly high priced assistant, or a bump for some of the existing staff and lower paid new guy. It will be interesting to see if the roles change. Will Harding stay as O line coach in addition to assistant head coach?

Other PAC assistant coach budgets are UCLA $4.0 million, Oregon $3.6, Washington $3.5, ASU $3.3, AZ $2.8, OSU $2.7, Cal $2.7, WSU $2.7, Colorado $2.7. USC and Stanford are private and don't disclose. The Utah budget for assistant coaches is $2.9M - competitive, middle of the PAC. I don't think that's a big issue.
    Yes Harding remains O-Line coach. With Erickson leaving that opened his Assistant Head Coach spot. That allows Kyle to actually give Harding a 'promotion' and raise while giving the new OC full reign.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The most encouraging aspects of his hiring are: He has a system he believes in.
    I agree. I love his confidence.

History!

History!

--Yeats

History!

Profoundly drunk and dead broke?

History!

I thought Grant was #4?

Scott, McClellan, some other guy (EDIT: Halleck), & Grant.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I thought Grant was #4?

Scott, McClellan, some other guy (EDIT: Halleck), & Grant.
    Hooker and Burnside and Meade
    Last edited by concerned; 01-05-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Profoundly drunk and dead broke?
    Well, we're talking before his presidency!

--Yeats

History!

Yeah. A great quote that shows this is a thinking man, much in the mold of Majerus and Krystkowiak.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yeah. A great quote that shows this is a thinking man, much in the mold of Majerus and Krystkowiak.
    And Walton.

This quote from Goon's article in Taylor caught my eye:

Mike Alberghini, a longtime coach at Grant who has seen recruits go to Utah and was part of multiple clashes with Taylor, sees it as a cultural shift. Utah's mode of ball control and field position doesn't exactly jive with the memory of a Folsom team that ralways pushed it as far as they could.

"When they had their program together, they took no prisoners and attacked the whole time — a very precise offense," Albergini said. "Where I've seen Utah, they're not one of those gunslinger-type teams. We'll see where it goes."
    Kyle's always had a lot of disdain for "go fast, go hard" offenses (so have I -- they seem gimmicky to me), so I think it's going to be interesting to see what we end up with.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4781771...r-quarterbacks
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.

--Yeats